Governance/Who Owns What
This page contains the requirements and design for a web-based tool to help people in Mozilla answer the question “Who Owns What?” In other words, questions like: who’s in charge of Layout? Who runs Persona? Who do I talk to about the Thunderbird feed reader?
Requirements for Minimum Viable Product
- Data source: the Module Owners list, which was carefully designed to be machine-readable in its source format
- Ability to search that data using a simple interface
- Regular pulls of updated data
- Returns details of module, with people responsible
- Incorporation of context metadata (so it knows Thunderbird and MailNews Core modules are part of Thunderbird)
- Robustness to brokenness in the data source
- Links people to their Mozillians profile to user can contact them
- Or even embeds Mozillians data directly using Mozillian API
- Fuzzy matching with stemming etc. so search does not need to be exact
- Sub-query matching when multiple terms specified (e.g. search for "Thunderbird feed reader" returns results also for "feed reader")
- Extensible to allow different or differently-formatted data sources in the future - not tied too deeply to format of Module Owners list (for discussion)
UI: a single search box, which would return one or more complete entries from the Module Owners list which had a textual match, with the match highlighted.
- [“Who Owns What?” Tool: Ideas Sought http://blog.gerv.net/2013/04/who-owns-what-ideas-sought/] blog post