How should we handle key handling?
We have a detailed spreadsheet sharing the key combination for Bespin on various OSes and browsers.
We also show the browser shortcuts and if there are collisions on other sheets:
The core philosophies of key bindings in Bespin are:
- We should have smart defaults that "feel right" for developers on each platform
- E.g. Redo on Windows is commonly Ctrl+Y, on Mac Cmd+Shift+Z
- We should block or override key combinations that make sense in the browser, but let through ones that a user expects, for example:
- Cmd+F should do a find internally, Cmd+Arrow Down should go to the end of a file
- Cmd+~ (tilde) should go through to the browser and find another browser window if applicable
- Users should be able to rebind their keys
- We have "bindkey" but need a nice graphical view
- Need the option to override the default, or keep it (right now we keep the default)
- We should give people an easy way to get keybindings from emacs, vi, textmate etc.