- How do we best find more leaks.
- Would extensions that cause GC/CC help?
- Need a plan for finding leaks in extensions.
- People swamped? Need help?
- Should we bring back the GC participant code we had before the CC landing to reduce impact of leaks?
- Should we track known leaks better?
Tools (fixing and finding)
- Brendan's dynamic trace-malloc patch. What's the status?
- Coverage, do we need more tools?
- Documentation, what's the state of our current docs?
- Sayrer's leak monitor, documented anywhere?
Status on found leak bugs
- Are there leak bugs filed that are blocking further discovery?
- How can we get help from the community?
- Should we turn on some leak monitors in the nightlies?
- Help weed out old invalid bugs?
- Add options to reporter?
- Help find leaks in extensions.
- Get leak monitoring as an extension so that QA can test for leaks during litmus.
- bug 394466 should fix OS leaks on linux.
- AI:cbarrett Look into OS leaks on mac.
- Improve tinderbox tests.
- Need to measure leaked GDI/user/kernel handles on windows. Possibly show on tinderbox.
- bug 374822 Need a windows tinderbox with leak numbers since OS leaks are lower there.
- AI:sicking Do leak monitoring while running tinderbox tests.
- We do want to run trace-refcnt, trace-malloc on reftest/mochitest. (bug 397724)
- Ideally we'd shut down between each testcase to identify where leaks happen. Mostly useful until we reach 0, but would help with regressions too.
- Want a separate test suite that tests for assertions, crashes, leaks. (bug 397725)
- Important leak bugs:
- AI:sicking Look into enabling trace-refcount, without the tracing part in nightlies.
- AI:cbarrett Look inte OS leaks on mac.
- Would be nice to be able to do CC/GC on command, but more useful for finding crashers than finding leaks. Could be used to test if docshell/domwindows go away as they should.
- Would be useful for diagnosing "leak" bugs like bug 393898
- Perhaps an "#ifdef DEBUG" API exposed to web pages would make more sense than an extension
- Finding leaks in extensions
- Licenses is a big problem, many don't allow us to do testing.
- Need help since testing extensions is going to be time intensive
- Robert's automated leak finder would work for extension authors to run with their extensions, but is kind of tricky to run on Windows.
- Fixing plans
- People can file meta bugs for various efforts (fuzz leaks, Robert's automated leak finder).
- Feels like we're doing ok without the GCParticipant code, so avoid adding back the complexity.
- Please add to Performance:Leak_Tools. Also add links to more detailed documentation.
- DEBUG_CC is very slow on windows. Ok on other platforms.
- Bug status
- Jesse uses bug 398292 to track bugs getting in the way of fuzz testing.
- Tinderbox stuff
- Should set up new machine running debug builds on reftest/mochitest.
- We want to add a test suite that simply opens pages and tests for leaks/crash/assertions. This could probably run on the same machine as it needs to be running debug builds (bug 397725.
- AI:sicking talk with build about setting up a Windows leak test machine (bug 374822.