November 12, 2013
This is a weekly meeting where we discuss and prioritize bugs found in the beta of the MDN redesign.
For this meeting, we concentrated on the bugs in this tree: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=910513&hide_resolved=1
- Staff writers and MDN dev team went through the list of launch blockers and cut them down to key bugs (currently around 17 bugs). The biggest blocker is page move functionality.
- Bugs currently blocking redesign launch are here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=925144&hide_resolved=1
- We're all making an extra effort to record what's going on in bugs, so the thought & decision-making process is more clear to everyone
- After the redesign launch, will start a mobile/offline project to define the optimal site experience for mobile users of MDN, including having content available offline. There are a lot of mobile/small screen bugs, but it really should be addressed holistically. Asking for people to help with the project.
Action items from last week
- ACTION (sheppy): post link to blog posts on the Redesign wiki - done
- ACTION (teoli): post a call for feedback on dev-mdc - done
- ACTION (alispivak): schedule a meeting to do a pass through the ones we have currently down as blockers and decide if the REALLY need to block the launch - done
- Bug 925821 nor, --, ---, nobody, REOP, In index of a webpage, index text overlaps with index numbers
- Bug 936699 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, Call for translation box is missing in the redesign
- Blocker, we're losing a feature from the current site
- Bug 923272 nor, --, ---, nobody, UNCO, Navigation For Small screen devices
- Redesigned site experience is better than the current site on small devices, but still needs improvement. Does not block launch but is a high priority to fix after
- Bug 932688 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, [Revert] On the revert page, only half of the screen is used
- this was supposed to be moved to post-launch
- next is https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=933458
- Bug 933458 nor, --, ---, nobody, UNCO, Change the Language Icon / Button
- we are waiting for smartell to provide us a different icon
- alispivak has an action item to follow up with him
- Bug 935705 nor, --, ---, nobody, UNCO, KUMA: Editor - Toolbar explodes to left of screen on resize.
- we need to fix, but it's not a blocker - high priority but not blocking
- Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=936976
- nor, --, ---, nobody, UNCO, MDN redesign has too much empty space.
- We're received fairly consistent feedback from the community and paid staff about tightening up the design a bit & we will cut back on the amount of whitespace, but it doesn't block launch.
- PLAN: get more detailed info about exactly where people think the whitespace could be removed, what bugs them the most. Will mark up some screenshots with recommendations, make available on the wki for comment, and then work with the design/US/dev team to figure out where to remove and how much.
- Bug 937136 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, Make TOC headings collapsible
- We have a lot of Firefox OS bugs opened by teoli
- These are all post-launch & should be managed as part of the mobile/offline project
- Bug 936974 enh, --, ---, nobody, UNCO, Add option to revert to classic theme after public launch of MDN redesign.
- is a won't fix - it would be very confusing and almost impossible to sustain. Plus, themes were a Mindtouch feature; Kuma does not support, we’d have to build in themes to the platform, which is a big project.