Add-ons let you personalize your browsing experience in Firefox so you can make it your own. Your participation supports user freedom by ensuring that it remains the most customizable browser available.
- 1 Connect with us
- 2 Public Meetings
- 3 Contribute to the Add-ons Ecosystem
- 3.1 Take a "One & Done" Task
- 3.2 Create an Add-on
- 3.3 Improve add-ons in Firefox
- 3.4 Help Improve addons.mozilla.org (AMO)
- 3.5 Help add-on users
- 3.6 Help add-on developers
- 3.7 Localization
- 4 Contributor Recognition
Connect with us
Subscribe to the Mailing List
- Dev-addons: Public mailing list for development of the add-on ecosystem including the site addons.mozilla.org and server extensions.
General Discussion Forums
- Add-ons Forum: Discussions about add-on development, add-on support and addons.mozilla.org.
- Community Team
- IRC: irc.mozilla.org, #amo, #addons, #extdev, #amo-editors channels
- Facebook: mozaddons
- Twitter: @mozamo
See a list of all public add-on meetings.
Contribute to the Add-ons Ecosystem
Whether you're technical or not at all, there's a contribution opportunity for you. It's easy to get started, and your efforts help to make Firefox better!
Take a "One & Done" Task
Don't have much time but want to do something to help Add-ons? Pick a 15-minute task.
Create an Add-on
Add-ons for Firefox Desktop
To get started, check out this comprehensive tutorial. It contains documentation, tools and information on how to get in touch with other developers.
Add-ons for Firefox for Android
Firefox for Android supports add-ons using the same extension system used by all other Gecko-based applications. Get started here.
Improve add-ons in Firefox
WebExtensions will become the standard for building add-ons by the end of 2017. It seeks to unify the extension APIs and architecture with those of other browsers in the name of interoperability and modern architecture.
Help Develop Web Extensions APIs
- Pick a good first bug to work on.
- Take this survey to help us prioritize available WebExtension APIs.
- More ways to hack
More ways to contribute code
- Fix a "goodfirstbug": https://waffle.io/mozilla/addons?label=good%20first%20bug
- Requirements: Onboard to AMO
- Fix bugs in the Add-ons Manager: http://mzl.la/1JlF0hm
- Requirements: Onboard to Firefox codebase
- Fix bugs in the SDK and JPM: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/SDK#Monthly_community_meeting
Help Improve addons.mozilla.org (AMO)
Addons.mozilla.org, commonly known as "AMO," is Mozilla's official site for developers to list add-ons, and for users to discover them.
Become an Add-on Reviewer
Volunteer reviewers ensure the security and reliability of add-ons on AMO by testing every submission. Learn how you can join this community.
Rate your favorite add-ons
Search for your favorite add-on at https://addons.mozilla.org. On the add-on's detail page, scroll down to the Reviews section and leave a comment for the developer.
Create a collection
Collections make it easy to keep track of favorite add-ons and share your perfectly customized browser with others. Get started here.
Create a theme
Lightweight themes let you personalize the look of your Firefox. To create your own, start here.
It's also helpful to install the Add-ons Compatibility Reporter and use it to let us know when an add-on is not working properly.
Help add-on users
Answer questions from add-on users in the Firefox Support Forum!
Help add-on developers
If you're already familiar with add-on development or you think you're a good technical writer, help us improve the documentation for add-on developers: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons
You can also help by translating these docs to a different language (pro tip: try replacing the en-US part of the link above to your native language code).
- MDN's "localization priorities" list - We're always in need of translators--here are the priority projects for add-ons.
- Localize an add-on - Join the Babelzilla community and help translate add-ons to your language.
- Localize addons.mozilla.org - Join Pontoon and translate addons.mozilla.org to your Language.
Report Your Contributions
We want to make sure you're recognized for your contributions!
- Create a Mozillians profile if you haven't already.
- Add your name and accomplishments on the Recognition wiki page (please be specific--these will be archived by month, so list your recent contributions).
We regularly choose an outstanding contributor (Friend of Add-ons) and send that person a token of appreciation. Any contribution is eligible--it doesn't have to be an opportunity listed on this page!
Friends of Add-ons
Big thanks to these outstanding volunteer contributors!