Firefox for Android supports downloading app content at runtime in order to:
- Reduce the APK size (Content does not need to be shipped inside the APK)
- Update content without requiring an app update (Content can be updated at any time).
Currently this mechanism is used for:
Firefox for Android ships with a reduced catalog of downloadable content. This catalog is update/synchronized from an online version maintained by Kinto.
Adding / updating content
- Connect to Mozilla's office network or VPN
- Go to https://settings-writer.prod.mozaws.net/v1/admin/#/buckets/fennec/collections/experiments (only reachable internally!)
- Use credentials from Mana
- Select "catalog" collection in "fennec" bucket
- Follow the admin UI