- Wednesdays - 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 99998
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 99998
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 99998
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 99998
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 99998
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 99998
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 99998
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
- Mobile Vidyo Room
- Merge happened yesterday. Trunk is now Fx19.
- Next merge is 2012-11-19
Major Topics for This Week
- Fx16 Released
- Reader and Feedback are two big features of Fx16. We have already seen lots of positive feedback on Reader. We also see a 4x spike in feedback to Firefox Input.
- We seem to have finally got control of the crashes on Nightly. The crash rate is currently ~10. We should keep an eye on Fx18 as it goes to Aurora and uplift any crash fixes that did not make the merge.
- Private Browsing
- Brian landed the initial PB patches. This allows Nightly users to open "Private Browsing" tabs. There is still a lot of work to go, both UI and backend.
- We are working with various Product, Dev and QA groups to make a decision on promoting WebApps in Fx17 (Beta). The promotions are currently disabled, but we might turn them on for Fx17 Beta 2.
- Safe Browsing
- We got it turned on for Fx 18 (Aurora). First mobile browser with this feature (I think).
- What did you do last week?
- What are working on this week?
- Anything blocking you?
Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!
James W. (snorp)
- Sep 25 - Oct 9:
- bug 791263 - disable screenshotting under low-memory conditions
- bug 793677 - fix regression from bug 727352
- bug 791338 - fix focusing editable elements inside frames
- bug 794479 - add a hook to allow java code loading by addons
- bug 784040 - port MemoryObserver to native fennec
- bug 794908 - NPE fix
- bug 789923 - prune page thumbnails since they take up a lot of space
- bug 792143 - expire tabs that have not been used in a while
Chris Lord (cwiiis)
- Low priority/blocked
- Blog about invalidation work
- Invalidation bugs (finishing progressive tiles work first)
- bug 785069 - tcheckerboard2 has regressed substantially since Jul 22nd
- bug 792415 - Covered areas of fixed position elements are not rendered
- bug 783914 - WEBGL_depth_texture doesn't work using ANGLE (low priority)
- bug 786412 - Consolidate ContainerLayer functions (waiting on nrc's shadow layers work)
- bug 747629 - IndexOutOfBoundsException at android.text.SpannableStringBuilder.checkRange(SpannableStringBuilder.java)
- bug 784329 - Stagefright: Galaxy Nexus hardware decoder video is blank. Need OMX_TI_COLOR_FormatYUV420PackedSemiPlanar color conversion.
- bug 797225 - Add Stagefright software decoder fallback for Beta and Release channels
- Blogged about IME bug I mentored: http://www.cpeterso.com/blog/2012/10/firefox-18-for-android-adds-dom_key_location_joystick-support-for-game-controllers
- Last week:
- Some investigation in bug 745384, bug 797895, uplifts
- bug 741808 Finish enabling URL classification in SafeBrowsing.js component
- bug 785960 "Don't keep activities" developer option gets counted as OOM in telemetry
- bug 799228 Send Android version as OS version for Telemetry
- bug 704718 Send Android version in AUS pings instead of Linux kernel version
- This week:
- Landed bug 582244 - (pb) Implement Private Browsing
- Landed bug 769145 - Add an opt-in for the search suggestions feature
- Landed bug 797075 - Implement Java-side tab stubs
- Landed bug 799015 - Use correct syntax for findClass() in JNI
- bug 799617 - Screen goes black when starting Fennec from external URL or resuming session
- Bug 795053 - Always send the profile to Gecko if it isn't sent in the original intent.
- Bug 795053 - Unlock locked profiles on Android.
- Bug 795406 - Set up profile unlocker.
- Bug 781318 - Autofocus textboxes in prompts.
- Bug 787765 - Retheme about:home thumbnails
- Security bugs
- Bug 744961 - Add some form of history expiration
- bug 792429 - Open tab menu wider
- bug 796886 - Tabs Menu is not closed when toolbar buttons are tapped
- Land new UI animation framework
- Land new swipe-to-close-tab implementation
- bug 793769 - Tab pane switching is not smooth on tablets because web content resizes
- bug 793771 - Use drawing cache on the tabs pane sliding on pre-ICS phone
- bug 785945 - Awesomescreen entries are very slow to appear
- Gave a talk at JSConfEU about Firefox for Android
- Waiting to blog about it until they post video, but I put my slides online
- Lots of positive feedback about the new native version (go team!)
- Working on Gaia blockers
- bug 710298 and bug 795932: Reflow on zoom (initial prototype)
- Some meta viewport issues in support of B2G
- bug 795313: Modify order of conditionals in UpdateFontInflationWidthFor for performance.
- bug 799194: Cache preference for reflow-on-zoom in a better way
- Evaluate bugs coming in for reflow on zoom to attempt to assist in a decision about whether to ship it.
- bug 797002: Fix uninitialized value in UpdateMinFontSizeInflationFor()
- bug 785291 Add ability to load fonts from APK
- bug 795234 crash in _pixman_implementation_fill
- bug 797015 Add a pref to completely disable screenshot code
- bug 790139 (security bug)
- in Toronto for JChen's first week
- Landed patch for campaign tracking (bug 784157)
- Lots of goal and resource planning
In Atlanta next week from Monday-Thursday, with very limited email access.
- Font Licensing
- bug 799967 Getting some test fonts this week, and need help getting test builds with them installed
- Private Browsing
- Mockups (in progress) http://cl.ly/image/1m3E1V3O2A1X
- How to create new private tabs
- UI Changes
- Tab menu
- Mockups (in progress) http://cl.ly/image/1m3E1V3O2A1X
- Safe Browsing (and updating some other error pages)
- Firefox OS has a set of mockups that we will be following fairly closely on Android: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/57puqw6dr0dlus3/L6YX6IRTb3#/ mockups c/o Patryk
- UI Responsiveness efforts – working list https://firefox-ux.etherpad.mozilla.org/25
- bug 792407 Armv6 design tweaks http://cl.ly/image/1r1A0n172Y1j
- bug 708707 bug 786029 Android home screen and search widgets underway. http://cl.ly/image/0F0k2J3A3Y3v
- Longer term work
- Android Sync Setup Improvements
- First Run & Update UX – sketches http://cl.ly/image/3c460L2v1Z30
- Search Enhancements – sketches http://cl.ly/image/1Q2x3J2N1X1s
- Top Sites customization on about:home – preliminary sketching http://cl.ly/image/1F1R2J1W1d1c
- Future improvements to about:home – sketches http://cl.ly/image/1x0A1K0r2g2m
UX Bonus Bugs
bug 716403 Scroll header off screen: Double bonus bug - 2 boxes of cookies to whoever fixes this! Wes and Sriram both working on this!
- bug 792407 Colour difference between title bar and in content UI background
- bug 715258 Favicons are low quality for internal / local pages
- bug 716051 Favicons are low quality for Mozilla-owned web properties
- bug 784362 Fix forward button bg alignment (tablets)
- bug 787765 Update about:home thumbnails (Wes taking this)
- bug 784366 Menu opens in the wrong direction
- bug 792410 Update tab thumbnails
- bug 792414 Add bottom shadow to tabs tray
- bug 792429 Open tab menu wider (Lucas taking this)
- [NEW] bug 718465 After opening a new tab, old tab is briefly seen (This might be solved with private browsing!)
- bug 792420 Toolbar menu shouldn't allow its text to be selected
- bug 798539 Jerkiness at the end of panning
- Silly animation timer bug
- Hoping to uplift so keep an eye once this lands
- bug 796117 Improve the Reusable Tile Store eviction strategy
- Fix progressive drawing regression. Content goes blurry when changing zoom level.
- We *MAY* disable screenshot with these improvements or we may wait for low resolution drawing.
Latest progressive drawing build: http://people.mozilla.com/~bgirard/no_jank.apk
- Firefox 16 chemspill (maybe respinning Fx 15?)
- Firefox 17 beta 1 - at risk for Friday build engineering issues and the 16 chemspill
- nhirata on b2g
- kairo's report : fennecandroid.17.0b2.armv6.topcrash
Please see Platform Meeting Notes for Stability report
Release Firefox Ratings on Google Play:
5 star -> 57,151
4 star -> 20,759
3 star -> 13,644
2 star -> 8,974
1 star -> 14,057
Overall rating: 3.86
114,585 Total Reviews
- Reader Mode is a great positive, it's listed in Reviews as one reason to choose Firefox over Chrome
- Performance is another plus for us in this release
- Google Play Solicitation is working as expected, Input is getting a lot more Feedback, and Google Play Reviews are increasingly Positive.
- Full Analysis of Input/Feedback for this release will occur when we fix our Input Tool and 16.0.1 is released.