- Wednesdays - 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 99998
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 99998
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 99998
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 99998
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 99998
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 99998
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 99998
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
- Mobile Vidyo Room
- Next merge: 2014-09-02 (moved to Tuesday)
Topics for This Week
- Restricted Profiles
- Support for Prefer:Safe HTTP header landed. Enabled when using Restricted Profiles on Android tablets.
- Initial onboarding/first-run UX has started landing.
- Error Pages
- Initial work in making Error Pages more useful has also started to land. First up, is helping with simple Wi-Fi toggling.
- Second Screen
- Lots of great feedback and bug reports about Chromecast support in Nightly. Fixes have been landing.
- Feature Mini-Videos
- A bunch of mini-videos on Firefox for Android features are now public on the Firefox Youtube channel.
Friends of the Mobile Team
Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.
- bug 1038880 - Zafar fixed a bug where the maximum-scale component of the meta-viewport tag was being ignored if the minimum-scale component was not specified.
- Frédéric Wang fixed bug 1042257 - Integrate GeckoAccessibility into GeckoView
- Ramasamy Gopalan fixed bug 978932 - Catch OutOfMemoryError in downloadFavicon and bug 1055315 - Add telemetry probe to measure when user changes search engine in search activity
- fedepaol filed and fixed bug 1056315 - Animate tab panel header on first tabs panel open
- amoghbl1 filed and fixed some cleanup bugs - bug 1057792, bug 1057787, bug 1057780, bug 1057789
- vivek fixed bug 1034261 - Disable saving videos as PDF, and he's working on some about:feedback improvements - bug 799562 and bug 1007436
- What did you do last week?
- What are working on this week?
- Anything blocking you?
Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!
James W. (snorp)
Alan K. (ack)
- cloudsync patch cleanup, partner support
- mesh networking, static address assignment
- ad-hoc support on flame
- Lots of arguing over SafeBrowsing
- 1055675 - Build fixes for trace-malloc on Windows
- 1055670 - disable remote application reputation checks
- 1044707 - WebRTC Logitech c920 fails in Firefox on WIndows 8.1
- Continued port of WebRTC OpengGL render code to Roku NDK. Can render single i420 image.
- Addressed comments on bug 1048425 Enable support for tab sharing with Roku device. Waiting to land until Roku Channel may be used for testing.
- Get WebRTC OpenGL render code running on Roku.
- Continue to try and land standalone code.
- Investigate sending H.264 instead of VP8 video to standalone WebRTC.
- Land bug 1048425 Enable support for tab sharing with Roku device.
- Janus Proxy (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus)
Present & Future
- Janus Proxy
- Client connection speed assessment (required for dynamic compression rate adjustments)
- More wiki updates (feature discussion)
- Integration of both mozjpeg and jpeg-turbo in the image compression tool
- Wrote a node wrapper
- Integrate the new image compression into Janus
- Improve it
- Updated Messaging patches (bug 1043633, bug 1055144)
- bug 1058852 - Remove unused resources
- WIP for fixing autocomplete popup behavior (bug 1037353)
- Looked into survey on uninstall (bug 1056979)
<Read Only> Landed:
- bug 1042196 - Provide a wifi toggle widget on error pages
- bug 1048545 - Tapping the branding logo in the browser widget opens a new tab
- bug 1045274 - Basic tests for GeckoProfile
- bug 1046885 - Disable installing webapps in guest mode
- bug 1052387 - Setting to clear data on quit doesn't clear tabs from last time panel
- Chrome cast regressions: bug 1057866, bug 1053889, bug 1055012
- bug 989094 - Webrtc permissions prompt should remember your last choice. Needs review!
- bug 1042205 - Provide search suggestions from our history db on error pages (up for review, other error widgets bug 1042201, bug 1042199
- Continuing work on guest widget:
- Toolbar refresh
- bug 1055576 - Factor out code to draw tab curves
- bug 1056312 - Restore new toolbar 9-patch images
- bug 1056976 - Increase height of HomePagerTabStrip
- (In progress) bug 1058660 - Tweak history panel header color for better contrast with the tab strip background
- (In progress) bug 1055536 - Too many differing background greys throughout the browser
- Tablet refresh
- (Writing tests) bug 1014987 - Display tabs horizontally
- (In progress) bug 1057438 - Rewrite FadedTextView
- Slowly working on:
- Lots of reviews
- Mentoring and investigating bug 1058027
- Updated home panel add-ons on AMO (and improved listings to make them more search-able)
- Landed settings telemetry - bug 996753, bug 1007523 (search settings probes were uplifted to Aurora)
- Open search plugin support in search activity - bug 1054303 and friends
- 1043027 - Refine clear button hiding/showing
- 1007523 - Add UI telemetry for managing search engines
- 1011470 - Remove panel picker logic
- 1046215 - Update Home Feeds add-on to address feedback requests
- 1057372 - Rename 'Pocket' home panel add-on to 'Pocket Hits'
- 1055771 - Search suggestions for old query appear when activity is re-launched
- 1054303 - Pull search engines from open search plugins that we ship with Fennec
- 996753 - Add telemetry for Settings usage
- 1057992 - Change Pocket add-on icon to their Pocket Hits icon
- 1058352 - Default search engine probe recording null instead of "other"
- bug 1057651 - Remove excess padding from new_tablet_browser_toolbar edit_cancel
- bug 1058277 - Remove excess padding from browser_toolbar edit_cancel
- bug 1046017 - (researched) Tap focuses on URLs in Firefox 32 beta above the physical tap
- Browser toolbar refresh
- bug 1046203 - Change BrowserToolbar to use alternative layout when isNewTablet()
- bug 1001655 - Replace applicable Strings in test code with StringHelper references
- bug 1025546 - Support various image views in Hub panels
- bug 960746 - Back/forward button state can get out of sync on tablets
- Too busy with other things:
- bug 983437 - Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off
- bug 989441 - Centralized documentation for writing tests
- Vacation. Tired now. Catching up on bugmail. Lots of bugmail.
- Chasing down more size issues: webappsstore.sqlite bloat (including 1.3MB of Marketplace description caches), unused resources, etc. Filed bug 1058934.
- Discussing APK signing, power consumption, and so on.
- Catchup chat with Nick, Garvan, vng.
- Created Android Background Services bug components for Geolocation and FxA.
- Synced tabs and send tab work, e.g., bug 1058298.
- Lots of reviews.
- Reminder: urge contributors to create mozillians.org accounts, and add descriptive vouches to contributors you work with.
- Reviews: stumbler, share overlays, mentored tickets with super-contributor (!) vivek.
- Code: first landings and first review cycle for Remote Tabs home panel (action in bug 1014994). Many thanks to margaret and mcomella for timely reviews.
- 1026005 - Create AsyncTaskLoader for querying/updating Fennec Accounts status
- 1056227 - Don't always go back to status after updating FxAccount credentials
- 1056225 - Factor out shared pieces of HomeFragment
- 958341 - Present "login motivation" to Android FxAccountClient /account/create call to support email verification UI and metrics
- Obtained L3 commit access
- UK bank holiday :)
- Hacking on Tablet refresh, mostly refactoring and decoupling nested classes
- Build issues -> had to update sdk to 20
- Revelling in being the only Martyn/Martin on the team
- More tablet hacking & filing related bugs
- HG config and learning now that I am armed with commit access
- Last week
- Gave UX feedback for bug 1042201, bug 758317, bug 1058902, bug 1044947
- Fennec and B2G browser sync-up
- Surfacing addons kick-off meeting
- This week
- Program review, present launcher and lock screen study
- Give feedback for bug 1027078 and follow up on bug 1042201
- Continue tablet design work
- Had kickoff meeting for Add-ons
- Provided UX feedback for bug 965377: Reorganize and rework Settings, making use of android:summary
- Surfacing Add-ons, working on navigation hierarchy for better discovery.
- Filed some bugs:
- bug 1058195: After installing a Theme Add-on, Theme does not show up in Add-on manager
- bug 1058243: Redundant, confusing link in Add-on Manager to AMO
- bug 1058263: Mobile AMO lacks Mobile Home | Register|Log in on Navigation landing
- bug 1058278: New User Registration is not mobile friendly
- bug 1058289: Carets and checkbox are flush right on menu
No update this week; see y'all next month!
- Android test bugs in this week's War on Orange top 10:
1. 154 oranges: bug 1054292 (NEW) <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1054292> Intermittent Android TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | remoteautomation.py | application timed out after 330 seconds with no output ("org.mozilla.fennec still alive after SIGABRT: waiting...", [@ libc.so + 0xd1fc])
3. 70 oranges: bug 1054456 (NEW) <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1054456> Intermittent Android talos command timed out: 3600 seconds without output running ['/tools/buildbot/bin/python', 'scripts/scripts/android_panda_talos.py', '--talos-suite', 'remote-tp4m_nochrome', '--cfg', 'android/android_panda_talos_releng.py', ' ...
- Met with Nick and Richard to go over remaining items for stumbler, a few more changes were needed, should land in Nightly this week.
- Note:If you are working on a feature targeting anywhere up to 34, and it is not listed below already, please call it out to me.
- There are a few changes to status of 34 items below, and a couple of items added (Toolbar updates, Restricted Profiles)
- See Roadmap for more information, Meta bug details etc...
Firefox 32 (Beta) - Release: Sep 2, 2014
- [ON TRACK] Firefox Hub v3 (bugfixes & polish + more add-ons)
- [ON TRACK] Suggested sites v1
- [ON TRACK] Contextual tips for users
- [ON TRACK] UI lang switching
- [ON TRACK] Synced tabs page as entry point into Firefox Accounts & Sync
- [ON TRACK] Add a Clear History control to the history panel
- [ON TRACK] Android Gamepad backend
- [ON TRACK] Support weighed snippets
- [AT RISK] Change default search engine in Nightly, Aurora & Beta to Bing
- [ON TRACK] Added locale(s):Scottish Gaelic(gd), Fulah (ff), Armenian (hy-AM), Welsh (cy), Basque (eu), Icelandic (is)
Firefox 33 (Aurora) - Release: Oct 14, 2014
- [ON TRACK] Videocasting (Roku, Firefly, Chromecast)
- [AT RISK] Tab mirroring (Roku, Chromecast)
- [ON TRACK] Form auto-fill improvements - Backend
- [ON TRACK] OEM distro service
- [ON TRACK] Suggested sites v2(Distribution support & non-Mozilla suggested sites)
- [ON TRACK] Tabs updates and improvements
- [IN PROGRESS] Janus - Phase 1 (Client)
- [ON TRACK] Added locale(s):Aragonese (an), Kazakh (kk), Xhasa (xh), Frisian (fy-NL)
Firefox 34 (Nightly) - Release: Nov 25, 2014
- [ON TRACK] Toolbar Updates
- [PROPOSED] Add support for Restricted Profiles (Prefer: safe)
- [IN PROGRESS] Fatfennec: Minifying JS
- [ON TRACK] Search activity v1
- [ON TRACK] Moz Stumbler
- [PROPOSED] Share handler overlay
- [PROPOSED] Improved "Send Tab to Device" Experience
- [PROPOSED] User-hand-holding to check the Unknown Sources checkbox
- [PROPOSED] Form auto-fill improvements, native client-side work
- [PROPOSED] Reflow on zoom (double tap) by default
- [ON TRACK] Kindle-related fixes
- [PROPOSED] Hub add-on: speed-dial panel
- [PROPOSED] First-run tips
- [AT RISK] Preferred web content language
- [PROPOSED] Tablets: tabbed browsing refresh v1
- [PROPOSED] Suggested sites v3