Jenn & Deb
- Funnel review meeting booked for next week.
- What projects exist that aren't currently reflected in the Roadmap/Funnel?
- Kindle fixes
Goals check in
Mark & Karen
- [ON TRACK] Create and enable downloadable distributions in Fx33 (GRO, REV)
- [ON TRACK] Improve on-boarding experience. Minimal projects landing in Fx33. Additional projects landing in Fx34 (GRO)
- [ON TRACK] Search activity & widget. Feature will be enabled in in pre-release channels. Won't ride trains to release until it's better than MVP. (GRO, REV)
- [ON TRACK] Explore productization of Janus, a proxy system for data compression and privacy. Deliverable is a go/no-go decision and a product plan (if it's a 'go'). (ECO, REV)
- Hamilton sent a quick update yesterday saying that they've started working on the Fennec dashboard again (after being pulled into another project for a while), and that they'll have a better idea of when the crunched FHR data will be available after next week. Things are at least rolling on this again.
Worth a Read
- Ben Evans on the commoditization of the mobile device, and how it reflects the evolution of the PC industry.
- Ars reports on how web-based (and client-side) password managers are introducing more vulnerabilities for the sake of convenience, prompting some folks to right about the impending death of the password.
- Samsung bracing for an earnings hit, as markets mature, and lower-priced, higher spec phones start to eat into their space.
- Microsoft is (finally) responding to the threat Chromebooks pose and announce lower-cost laptops to compete with Google, complement Surface offerings.
- larger apps are a harder sell in emerging markets
- MediaTek and its partners continue to release more powerful chipsets to put pressure on Qualcomm and Samsung (and their margins),
- Flipkart continues to evolve as India's go-to online mobile device source
- Following Satya Nadella's email to employees, speculation on layoffs and refocusing at Microsoft is starting to run.
- Google Glass continues to lose lustre, and its original project lead to Amazon.
- Starting to see Google's Material Design start to show up in re-design work for Play and other Google services.
- More operators in India sign up for the Android One program
Rob & Roland
Same Top Weekly Issues (https://sumo.etherpad.mozilla.org/android-feedback-updates):
- Hangs and Freezes
- Video playback problems and crashes
Highest organic praise levels in Input since March!
No notes - in-meeting updates from Mark & Karen