It's Aurora feature review day! We'll use the last 30 mins of this meeting for that, so updates will have to be quick. Thanks!.
Roadmap & Funnel update
- EOL statement for Android 2.2 and ARMv6 configurations going out today. PR is armed with reactive statements and FAQs and Arcadio will reach out to communities that have the highest concentration of these users.
- Search provider update
Goals check in
Mark & Karen
- [ON TRACK] Create and enable downloadable distributions in Fx33 (GRO, REV)
- [ON TRACK] Improve on-boarding experience. Minimal projects landing in Fx33. Additional projects landing in Fx34 (GRO)
- [ON TRACK] Search activity & widget. Feature will be enabled in in pre-release channels. Won't ride trains to release until it's better than MVP. (GRO, REV)
- [ON TRACK] Explore productization of Janus, a proxy system for data compression and privacy. Deliverable is a go/no-go decision and a product plan (if it's a 'go'). (ECO, REV)
Hamilton or Kev?
Note: Kev will be on PTO July 28 through Aug 8, so will miss the Jul 29 and Aug 5th calls. No one will be taking his place. He apologizes for this, and his use of the third person.
Something to Think About
Today, Xiaomi released it's Mi4 flagship phone today for $320-400. The news isn't really about the Mi4 - although it's a nice looking phone - it's around how Android handset prices are continuing to see downward pressure. $300-400 is the new sweet spot for super phones. It's eating into the profit margins of organizations like Samsung (draw parallels to Sony as you see fit), and making a whole lot of power even more accessible for Android users.
Why we should care: We consistently see metrics that more than 2/3 of buyers will spend more than $150 on their phone. The downward push on prices for hardware that continues to grow in capability and performance means even more people will be able to take advantage of a full-featured web on (what is usually) their primary communications and computing platform.
Worth a Read
- As part of Microsoft's refocusing on its core product offerings, the handsets in the Nokia X line will be discontinued or repurposed as Windows Phone devices. Nokia's feature phone business is also being killed off, and approximately half of Nokia's workforce will be laid off. It's possible we'll see an exit entirely from handset manufacturing, but that will rely heavily on Windows Phone performance in the coming year.
- Continuing on last week's theme, 1M new Chromebooks were sold into schools in Q2. The service and support offering is a good way to make them more attractive, and while the article says it's tougher sledding into Enterprise, the continued adoption of Apps by developers and companies, and anticipated new features for Android and Chrome OS, will continue to make the Chromebook an attractive platform.
- Samsung and Google reportedly continue to have the odd bunfight, this time around Samsung's promotion of Tizen as a wearable platform over Android Wear.
- Pirated apps continue to be a revenue opportunity, although not always the best long-term play.
- App Annie's Q2 overview shows India becoming number three in downloads, but still not a major revenue generator. Good overv iew of the app market for Android.
- Google's making it easier to find Chromecast-compatible apps.
- Facebook adds a "Save" feature to its apps, to create lists of content you'll get around to reading... some day.
- Yahoo! grabs Flurry to help give them a leg up in the mobile ad space (where they're not doing so well). I hope we continue to see Flurry analytics reports, but suspect those will now go away.
- ZTE signs up to include the Google Experience Launcher as a default for its Android offerings. The GEL is also known as the Google Now Launcher, which has been standard on Nexus devices and available as a download for others.
Rob & Roland
All the positive feedback is awesome, but is largely up due to referrals (SurveyGizmo post-survey link for Firefox Accounts).
Feedback Callout (for all feedback see here):
Google "4523281" "Can't upload attachments to gmail messages, except sometimes for small attachments." Facebook "4527880" "The browser is slow in rendering Facebook's mobile site and does not enable \"@\" tagging as the chrome browser does. This is a deal breaker for me because I don't have the Facebook app installed and only use the browser version. If I can't get rid of chrome because Firefox can't handle a sure I use frequently, I won't keep two browsers. I hope you can fix it. I want to give Firefox a chance but not sure I will wait for long." Yahoo "4521706" "News stories from m.yahoo.com pages do not load properly. The pages do not scroll down."
Navigation "4525073" "Bookmarks too many clicks to get to." "4521825" "could not find bookmarks" "4525626" "No way to easy navigate bookmarks." Organization/Setting "4525941" "Don't know how to make bookmark page" "4526284" "Galaxy tab 2 7\" with 4.2.2 ota push Scrambles bookmarks puts many in unsorted folder. This carries back to PC if both devices are on. Appears to work correctly on Galaxy note 10.1 2014 on 4.4.2 ota push."
Issues "4526284" "Galaxy tab 2 7\" with 4.2.2 ota push Only bookmarks syncs. Appears to work correctly on Galaxy note 10.1 2014 on 4.4.2 ota push."
Can't find download folder/Want option to specify "4525997" "There isn't a way I could find to set the download folder, this is important on a cell phone as the internal storage is limited but the microsd card is much larger."
Issues "4527649" "When you go into search it auto-populates the search field. You need to go in and delete before you can enter." "4524100" "When I type word into the search bar it freezes up and doesn't register all the words. Not sure if it's because there are so many search engine options or a user error."
Menu button disappearing "4522014" "On my phone (galaxy s2) works without problems but on my Galaxy Note 10.1 (sm-p600) the menu only pops up once, I have to remove the app from the memory to access it again. Also sometimes long tap on image doesn't open save picture dialog. Other than those I enjoy using Firefox. Thanks." FR: Homepage "4526970" "Can't have a blank home screen" "4527488" "I can't find the Homepage" Tab management "4523953" "When I tried to close a tab, it will not do anything. So make a update about those tabs, Grady" "4524590" "Lots of common tab options annoying to get to. New tab, close tab, open link in new tab foreground vs background, etc. See dolphin as an example of how to do better tab management." "4526312" "Tab interface sucks. Dolphin browser has the right idea." FR: Explicit exit button "4527523" "Can not close windows" Unclear how to exit some tabs/windows "4525255" "It is not clear how to close windows expecially pop ups. It certainly is not intuitive." First time user "4524268" "First Tim using mobile version - hard to figure out how to navigate." "4523204" "Having some trouble getting going with Android system." Needs better menu structure "4526354" "clunky interface. requires to much hunting. simple menus much faster. will stay with chrome until sanity refund to Firefox!!"
Keyboard delayed "4525871" "Anytime i launch firefox or open a new tab there's an issue with typing. i get the haptic feedback from android but Firefox doesn't detect any entry for a few seconds. I'm on the galaxy note 3, stock image." Keyboard broken "4523561" "Keyboard stop working 6 ydjft566y DDS highK" FR: better way to resume session "4524184" "It is hard to get back to where you left off if you get out of it" Form caching/autocomplete is too aggressive "4525213" "\"Form\" thing makes it impossible top see anything on a pager once I click on a forms box.It offers up everything I've ever written as a suggestion, so it block the whole page."
- Fx31 Updated
- Install by User: 24.4M
- GP Rating: 4.36 (previous 4.4)
- 2.2 installs by Device: 307,442
- Owned media campaign presentation
- Sync flow upgrades and snippet campaign
No notes - in-meeting updates from Mark & Karen
Aurora feature review
|[ON TRACK]||Videocasting (Roku, Firefly, Chromecast)||wesj||ECO||bug 921924|
|P1||[ON TRACK]||Search activity v1||mfinkle||GRO, REV||bug 1017135|
|[AT RISK]||Tab mirroring (Roku, Firefly, Chromecast)||blassey||ECO||bug 1037018|
|[ON TRACK]||Form auto-fill improvements - Backend||ibarlow||GRO||TBD|
|P1||[ON TRACK]||OEM distro service||rnewman||GRO||bug 1020032|
|[ON TRACK]||Suggested sites v2 (Distribution support & non-Mozilla suggested sites)||lucasr||GRO||bug 1034180|
|[ON TRACK]||Tabs updates and improvements||margaret||GRO||TBD|
|[AT RISK]||Moz Stumbler||garvan||TBD||bug 1032506|
|P2||[ON TRACK]||Privacy: option to clear history on exit or after a certain amount of time.||GRO||TBD|