Mobile/Projects/My List: Subscribe to feed or service as a new list
- Meta-bug to be filed
We want users to be able to create new My List lists by subscribing to third-party feeds (RSS feeds) or services (ie: Dropbox directories, Evernote notebooks, etc).
Use cases & user stories
- When I opt to create a new list, I want to be able to select from a set of known-compatible services to add as lists, so it's as easy as possible for me to set up & try this new feature.
- When I opt to create a new list, I want to be able to select from a short list of featured websites that are selected based on my locale or Mozilla partnerships, so it's as easy as possible for me to set up & try this new feature.
- When I opt to create a new list, I want to be able to select from a short list of my most frequently visited websites that have compatible RSS feeds, so it's as easy as possible for me to set up & try this new feature.
- When I open to create a new list, I want to be able to specify an arbitrary URL (that has a compatible feed), so I can subscribe to any feed I want. I understand that Firefox will let me know if a particular URL doesn't have a compatible feed, and that I won't be able to subscribe to that page as a new list.
- When I am on a website that I would like to subscribe to as a new list, I want there to be a quick way to do that through a context menu or other convenient UI, so I don't have to leave the page to add it as a new list.
- When I want to manage my subscribed feeds and services, I want that to be done using the same settings UI as my other lists, so I don't have to go digging around looking for other UI.
These may be v2...
- If I am involved with running or developing a service that I would like users to be able to subscribe to via My List, I want there to be clear documentation available about how I can ensure my service is properly compatible, and how I can promote it to Firefox users.
- If I run a site that has a compatible feed, I would like some way to promote that feed to Firefox users so they can quickly subscribe to my site and add it as a new list on their about:home.
Content ideas (for testing)
Just throwing in some ideas for sites/feeds we could feature at least in Nightly & Aurora builds for testing. I'm not sure how many we're going to include as "featured" or whatever, so we can figure out final lists later...
Mozilla RSS Feeds
- Mozilla Blog https://blog.mozilla.org/
- Planet Firefox Mobile http://planet.firefox.com/mobile/
- Fennec Nightly Tumblr http://fennecnightly.tumblr.com/
- Mozilla Hacks https://hacks.mozilla.org/
- Air Mozilla https://air.mozilla.org/
- Mozilla User Research https://blog.mozilla.org/ux/
Other Web Feeds
- Techcrunch http://techcrunch.com/
- UX Magazine http://uxmag.com/
- All Things Digital http://allthingsd.com/
- BBC Technology http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology/
- ReadWriteWeb http://readwrite.com/
- The Next Web http://thenextweb.com/
- Android Central http://www.androidcentral.com/
Not sure this is a thing we'll do or not? "Featured" Twitter feeds?
- Planet Mozilla https://twitter.com/planetmozilla
- Dria Mobile https://twitter.com/driamobile
- Firefox Nightly https://twitter.com/firefoxnightly
- Mozilla Mobile https://twitter.com/MozMobile
- Air Mozilla https://twitter.com/AirMozilla
Research & references
- No user-perceptible performance degradation
- All goals are met
- All user stories are implemented & tested