XUL requires significant memory. On the N800, trunk Firefox with the standard chrome requires ~10MB RAM on startup, and this reduces to ~6.5MB with a simpler chrome. This indicates significant RAM use by XUL.
Reduce startup RAM requirement to ~5 MB on the N800. This matches the Maemo browser's RAM needs on startup.
- Profile individual XUL widgets -- avoid expensive XUL widgets in Mobile Chrome
- Optimize XPCOM objects used by XUL widgets
- Merged "reportLiveObjects" patch from timeless to trunk on 2/5/2008 and uploaded here. The original patch is around 2 years old and could be found here.
- The current plan is to use this patch for profiling the XUL widgets.
- Output generated by "reportLiveObjects" patch