Mozilla QA Community:Software Update:FAQ
Software Update Testing FAQ
Beginning with the 8-25 builds, if you download nightly Firefox and Thunderbird builds (both the branch and trunk) you will automatically be updated to the latest build. If you wish to opt out of this and you don't want to be updated, go into your Preferences and change the pref to "Ask me what I want to do."
Q: I ran "Check for Updates..." from the Help Menu and got a dialog box with AUS: Update XML file not found (404) in bold letters. I clicked on the link http://www.mozilla.org/update/ so I could go manually download the update. Why did it take me to a Mozilla page saying 403: Access Forbidden?
A: Please see bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=301321 The developers are in the process of deciding what that link should do.
Q: Auto-update progress in the Help menu appears to be spinning forever.
A: Auto-update is design to incrementally download the available update in the background over an extended period of time. (approx. 90 minutes of Deer Park uptime) The developers did this to save user bandwidth and server load.
Q: I am seeing a confusing message in the update dialog; "Deer Park was unable to verify the integrity of the incremental update it downloaded ...."
A: Please see bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=305321 This is happening because the update is found before all of the needed files are available on the mirror. Wait a while and try again later.
Other Known Bugs
Unchecking "Allow web sites to install software" causes software update to hang
software update does not start from where it left off if the Internet connection gets disconnected
Hiding the Software Update window when there are no other windows open closes the application
Software update fails if NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation set to 1
[Linux]Applying updates status dialog is windowless
No way to cancel update download once it has begun.
Comprehensive log of updates
Other Known Issues
- Clicking on the "Details" button doesn't currently show anything
- Clicking on "Show Update History" in Preferences doesn't currently show anything in Firefox. This is because of the following:
- "version transition update" means a change from version 1.1 to 1.2, for example. The version of the trunk, development version of firefox is 1.0+, and that doesn't change from nightly build to nightly build. As a result, when you update firefox from one nightly to the next, it does not record it in the update history UI.
How to access about:config in Thunderbird
- Go to Tools | Options | Advanced
- Click on the General Tab
- Click on the Config Editor button to access about:config