Performance Program Review - May 2013
|"Cold" page load benchmark||
|Incremental Cycle Collection (ICC)||
||late Q2/early Q3|
|Keep JS-accessible APIs from blocking the main thread||
|Profiler Backend for Mobile||
||May (not including tests)|
|Reducing time to first paint - Phase 1||
||1 month for initial batch of patches, likely longer to meet 10% goal|
|Replace Addon Manager SQLITE with JSON file||
|Smooth Tab Animation||
|| * Vsync: land approach one in few days. Reconsider when OMTC comes.
- John Daggett has a meta-bug for his work on eliminating font jank (bug 859558). This is a substantial amount of work that impacts page load.
- Download Manager
- This is very noticeable jank for a very common use case. Paolo is making download manager SQL async (bug 825588)
- Another very common use case that impacts the top touched element in Firefox: the awesomebar. Places: various bugs being worked on by mak (bug 699844, bug 691507, bug 519514, etc)
- Page Load Perf
- Not sure exactly what to do here but we haven't spent much time on page load. This project will be in scope for the network team. We will likely want to define a meaningful page load benchmark in order to track progress.
- real-life goals:
- Use evaluations/questioneers/UX-feedback/discussions/etc to define "real" goals instead of synthetic ones (both tasks and thresholds).