Platform Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2013-01-15 - 11:00 am Pacific
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 95312
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 95312
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 95312
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 95312
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 95312
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 95312
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 95312
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 95312
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 95312
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 95312
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Warp Core Vidyo Room / SFO-Boardroom
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Notices/Schedule
- 2 Key Issues
- 3 Roundtable
- 4 Products/Projects
- 5 Engineering Metrics
|Unresolved Aurora Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta)||Unresolved Beta Trackers (non-security)|
- Firefox 19.0b2 will be going to build in the morning ET, released Thursday with all 18.0.1 bug fixes
- Firefox 18.0.1 (maintenance, not security-driven, desktop only) will be going to build in the morning ET, released Friday before EOD. These fixes will be included.
Actions Last Week
linux32 tests re-enabled
Naveed to get traction on bug 803018, bug 817342, bug 719114
- instanceof SomeDOMInterface (bz)
- Future Issues - early discussion on dev-platform, monitoring for discussion if not resolved
- ICU Import
- Linux32 support (joduinn)
- bz to follow up to mailing list on instanceof
- Bugs for the 3 top line platform goals are at:
- Hang work directly off those bugs either for the quarter or the year. Doesn't have to have a current active owner, but should be something you think needs doing in 2013 to support the goal. Goal owners/sub-owners can cull.
- Revisit how its going in a couple of weeks
- --No verbal needed-- We plan to pref on WebRTC's mozRTCPeerConnection code (i.e. calls) this week if all the blockers cooperate
- New triage queries (with explanations) here
- We're now focused on blocking-b2g:tef+ for the forseeable future
- Q1 Goals
- Draft version of Firefox desktop Q1 goals
- Firefox Health Report
- Firefox Health Report has landed in 2013-01-12 Nightly.
- 2013-01-16 Nightly will fix a shutdown crash and will enable FHR on Linux.
- Aurora uplift (in disabled state) should occur today or tomorrow.
- bug 829887 tracks blockers for next milestone.
- Per-window PB
- Theme changes landed
- Downloads panel
- Now enabled on Aurora, thanks to mconley, mano, mak, paolo
- Blog Shout Outs
- Compound drawables: http://sriramramani.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/compound-drawables/
- Memory, Responsiveness, Usability
- bug 827844 - Fix flickering when keyboard appears/disappears
- bug 828249 - Fix layer positioning when zoomed out beyond page bounds (regression)
- bug 828345 - Maintain screen aspect ratio when clamping scrollport
- Builds, Automagic Things, and Developer Quality of Life
- bug 828039 - Enable ionmonkey on android-x86 builds
- bug 828660 - Automatically try to use the 4.6 toolchain on android
- Working!See: https://webrtc-apps.etherpad.mozilla.org/4
- Stability Wins
- bug 817386 - java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: getChars (0 ... <n>) ends beyond length 0 at android.text.SpannableStringBuilder.checkRange(SpannableStringBuilder.java) at org.mozilla.gecko.GeckoEditable.invoke(GeckoEditable.java)
- In progress/under investigation
- bug 825612 - Regression in "time to throbber start" and "time to throbber stop" - Dec 22
- bug 786996 - Content of Flash plugin is first displayed upside down
- bug 826607 - don't block while pausing and resuming the compositor
- bug 803719 - Reflow-on-zoom should zoom in and snap to a piece of text
Metro [1st Tuesday of Each Month]
Stability Report [Weekly]
- Trunk crashes needing an owner or attention:
- bug 806820 - probably Facebook-triggered, connected to iterators in JS
- If anyone has been seeing this, we'd be very happy to find steps to reproduce so it can be debugged.
- bug 822438 - js::Interpret or js::mjit::JaegerShot on wiadomosci.onet.pl
- Haven't heard back on our Polish contact trying to get a sample of the code that was pushed and then pulled back on that site.
- If anyone has contacts to that site or can help us to get in contact with their team to receive a sample of that code which was triggering our crashes, that would be very helpful. We know it's a bug on our side that they triggered, we need to try and reproduce as the stacks aren't too helpful, though (unless someone can get a clue by looking into minidumps).
- On a positive note, the JS team is apparently successfully hunting down compartment mismatch crashes in bug 821733, which should probably fix some issues that would otherwise not be as easy to track down.
- Startup & Shutdown
- Olli Pettay sped up shutdown by an epic >=30%! (bug 818739) - see Telemetry from Dec 15 on
- Yoric made search service metadata loading/migration async (bug 760036)
- Aaron added Telemetry on 'firefox is running but not responding' (bug 815418)
- Vladan moved LocalStorage off the main thread (bug 807021)
- Olli and Andrew McCreight continued reducing CC pauses (bug 785493, bug 821371, bug 820378, bug 827471, bug 705371)
- Vladan made some improvements to about:telemetry presentation, incl. making it easier to copy-paste the data (bug 817102, bug 817055, bug 824577)
Games [1st Tuesday of Month]
- Platform Page For Games: Games Platform Page
- Any bugs that are found that are likely game related should be marked with a whiteboard tag [games:p?] and we will review in our next triage. It’s a huge help to us when people call these out.
- We are hoping to have the benchmarking running by the end of the month. We are also preparing a list of benchmarks and will post that on the games platform section as soon as that’s available. A list of benchmarks will be available minimally, the goal however is to have the automated framework running.
- Development has been good but a few of the resources that we wanted couldn’t get to it due to B2G. Roc is now working on it and this is on our Q1 goal list. Alan Kligman is working on conformance tests.
- External Partner Support
- There is a lot of focus in the short term on this due to MWC in February and GDC in March. Plenty of work going into demos and supporting partners improve performance.
- Currently working via WebSockets.
- WebRTC support is currently underway and expected in the near future.
- Planned to work on a Mobile version as soon as Vlad returns from vacation.
- Work is continuing and performance numbers are very encouraging. Current micro benchmarks are coming in around 1.x of native and about 2-6x faster than SM.
- bug 731974 - requestAnimationFrame stability, takes us from 50% bugs hitting 16 or 17 milliseconds to 90% with a much tighter grouping around the target time frame. Still not to 99.6% which is where Chrome sits. The remaining instability should be resolved we solve related issues such as tabs affecting each others performance and GGC.
- bug 828954 – Firefox 18 Breaks Unity player on 18 for Mac Users. This is likely going into 18.0.1 if there is one and will be in 19.0.0 otherwise.
- bug 829284 - Unity plugin doesn't display in HiDPI mode, when this will be resolved is less clear.
- bug 716859 -- Jeff is landing this very soon, which will improve our WebGL performance on mobile devices and sets the stage for future perf boosts on all platforms.
- bug 825205 -- WebGL regression around buffer validation that's been fixed in 19.
- GDC - We will be in attendance and have some passes so contact email@example.com for more info if you are planning to attend. I need to find out fast as we need to give them a list end of day!
Mobile Web Compat [2nd Tuesday of Month]
- UA overrides for 5 locales in B2G
- Working on staffing and community plan to ramp up the effort in 2013
- Vimeo mobile formatted videos now play on Firefox for Android and Firefox OS
Critsmash [3rd Tuesday of Month]
- For the 2013 security HULKSMASH please work with your team to make an explicit goal that makes sense for your components. Someone from each team should have received an email from davidb and should be championing team discussion for this goal. Please contact davidb with questions.