Note: Starting this week, the Engineering meeting is broadcast and recorded via Air Mozilla for a global audience. While no public engineering related topic is off limits, please be mindful of your language and tone.
« previous week | index | next week »
Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2013-08-06 - 11:00 am Pacific
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Widmer
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Actions
- 2 Hot Bugs
- 3 The Need To Know
- 4 Key Issues
- 5 Team Stand-ups
- 5.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 5.2 Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- 5.3 App Tools (dtownsend)
- 5.4 B2G Services (dougt)
- 5.5 Developer Tools (dcamp)
- 5.6 DOM (jst/dougt)
- 5.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)
- 5.8 Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- 5.9 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 5.10 Firefox OS Browser (blassey)
- 5.11 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 5.12 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (mchen)
- 5.13 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 5.14 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 5.15 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 5.16 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 5.17 Firefox OS Radio/GPS (kenhkchang)
- 5.18 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 5.19 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 5.20 GFX (milan)
- 5.21 Identity (jedp)
- 5.22 JS (naveed)
- 5.23 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 5.24 Media (jesup)
- 5.25 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 5.26 Performance (vladan)
- 5.27 Seceng (sstamm)
- 5.28 WebAPI (overholt)
- 6 Quality Programs
- 7 Roundtable
- 8 <Read only beyond this point>
(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)
- Orange Factor
- bug 901426 - Web Apps can not be opened from Firefox for Android notification and crashes Firefox - needs owner
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
- Firefox 23 is live (10% throttled)
- 17.0.8 ESR respin is with QA and targeted for ship this afternoon PT
- FF 24.0 beta 1 has gone to build
- Aurora (25) is throttled, no updates until end of week
|Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta)||Unresolved Beta 115 Trackers (non-security)|
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)
- (joduinn) In July, we had 7,051 checkins. Peak day was 02jul with 370 checkins. More info at http://oduinn.com/blog/2013/08/05/infrastructure-load-for-july-2013/
- if you know of any builds/tests that are being run-while-hidden.... or that are being run-but-no-longer-needed, please file bug in RelEng or let me know.
- please use TryServer responsibly, be careful with "-p all".
- TryServer is there to make developer life better, helping people land better quality, better tested, patches. But ask yourself questions if you end up at the top of this list. https://secure.pub.build.mozilla.org/builddata/reports/reportor/daily/highscores/highscores.html.
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
- No updates this week.
Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- Prepping a 1.15 SDK release
- All tests passing on Fennec!
- Working on getting automation spun up for Fennec
App Tools (dtownsend)
- Talks with releng about managing simulator builds
- App manager is progressing at pace
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (dcamp)
- Keybinding overhaul in 25: bug 892157
Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)
- Downloads manager rewrite update from Paolo: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.platform/ltOB3MzVwcI
Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- 12th sprint in progress.
- D2D always being disabled on Windows 8.1 fix on some hardware, crash fix for not allowing rendering with GDI on Windows 8.1
- Windows 8.1 is not expected to impact the schedule for the initial release, minor work is needed for basic support though.
- Async pan zoom was broke on Metro (as well as B2G), it's partially fixed now, and work continues to get it pref'ed on by default.
- On screen keyboard fixes.
- More UI polish and fixes.
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- AMO is now more discoverable in the Browser as of Fx25 thanks to bug 722902
- Due-diligence string freeze prep prior to uplift, bug 892113, bug 877791, bug 896515
- Big shout-out to our contributors making great stuff happen: Ming with bug 898044, Capella with bug 886587 and bug 896764 and Federico has been investigating bug 896350
- Lot's of work on the new About:Home (still on Fig): bug 891631, bug 897252, bug 897250, bug 885356
- Great clean up Guest Browsing for Fx25: bug 895709, bug 896117, bug 896092, bug 896121
- PiCL planning continues
- Tab mirroring and Chromecast is being investigated
- Snorp, Matt Woodrow, George and Peter are in NC working with Skia maintainers this week
Firefox OS Browser (blassey)
nothing to call out
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (mchen)
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- Last Week
- Worked on Bugs and 1.2 user stories: 893282, 898074, 771288, 890427, 871364, 891014, 891024, 897882, 884720, 899866, 896907, 900359, 884720, 896415, 897356, 899098, 861456, 856782, 898364, 877474, 890453, 894203, 890453, 898318, 898324, 898377, 898993, 893135, 891797
- This Week
- Media team meet-up in Vancouver with focus on user story deep-dives, estimation, planning, and ux brainstorming/reviews.
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- Last week
- bug 896353 - Media Recording - Can't record the mediaStream created by AudioContext.
- bug 898343 - gUM - [B2G getUserMedia] Use ContentPermissionPrompt to display microphone permission prompt
- bug 895730 - Can't get any encoded data from encoder when recording the mediaStream with mute audio
- Prototyping HW codec support for WebRTC on B2G
- bug 864222 - Fail to lanuch everything.me with skiaGL Canvas
- Next Week
- bug 845169 - Target events "properly" at overlapping app frames
- bug 899935 - Stopping the MediaRecorder does not recieve a TRACK_EVENT_ENDED event from callback
- bug 898986 - [B2G getUserMedia] Display correct string and icon for gUM audio permission dialog.
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Productivity backlog: https://www.pivotaltracker.com/s/projects/867311
- Completed and landed Marionette/JS integration testing improvements
- Triaged bug nominations, identified a handful of bugs to target for 1.2 and added to backlog
- 1.2 sprint work
- getting started on Notifications for email
- continuing work on streaming email attachments to better handle large files: https://bugzil.la/871897
- Evangelizing integration test framework to other Gaia teams
Firefox OS Radio/GPS (kenhkchang)
- Bugs list, http://goo.gl/0qGqtN
- Last week
- Fix Leo+ issues.
- CDMA, to implement call waiting/switching, OTASP, CDMA subscription information, RSSI, information record, and ECB.
- WAP Push, to discuss the UX again and clarify the user scenario.
- OMA CP, it works in real network.
- NFC, to discuss the webAPI and NFC architecture with partners.
- WPA-EAP, moving Crypto to WebIDL.
- WIFI-Direct, to rebase the WIFI-Direct patches.
- This week
- Fix Leo+ and hd+ issues.
- CDMA, to implement call waiting/switching, OTASP, CDMA subscription information, cell broadcast, information record, and ECB.
- WAP Push, to implement the display function.
- OMA CP, to implement the test AP.
- NFC, to discuss the resposibilities with partners.
- WPA-EAP, to show prompt for NSS.
- WIFI-Direct, to rebase the WIFI-Direct patches.
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- Regions performance improvements (reflow test from 8 to 2 minutes, after regressing to 40 minutes) (898416)
- Gradient performance improvements (895135)
- Debugging: better layer borders displays (899667), chrome only paint flashing (895003)
- VisualStudio build prototype (http://benoitgirard.wordpress.com/2013/08/06/better-visual-studio-projects/)
- Improvements to layer heuristics for opacity (894773)
- Ongoing - FTE sign-in on FirefoxOS - design and integration with Firefox Accounts
- bug 878941 WebRTC identity-provider proxy for peer connections (really really almost done)
- bug 899437 Investigating persona process behavior when LMK is operating
- IETF meeting in Berlin went very well, and two LONG running WebRTC discussions/disputes were resolved:
- The most secure option for encrypting media, DTLS-SRTP, remains the only encryption mechanism mandated (MUST implement), and the alternative (SDES) was turned down with a MUST NOT implement.
- The "Unified plan" developed by abr (Adam Roach), Justin Uberti of Google, and Martin Thompson of Microsoft was adopted as the framework to deal with multiple streams
- DataChannels moved forward towards finishing the spec; Chrome will be implementing the spec version RSN
- Opus was highlighted in the Technical Plenary; lots of positive feedback. Congrats to Tim, Jean-Marc, Rillian and the rest of the Opus team
- Gonk audio getUserMedia support landed: bug 825112
- Android WebRTC support is now in Beta
- One of the patent lawsuits over VP8 was resolved as not infringing. http://blog.webmproject.org/2013/08/good-news-from-germany.html?m=1
- Top work items are unchanged from last week (latency, performance & video performance, dogfooding)
- Debugging FTP thumbnail e10s crash (bug 898156)
- Summer of code intern has released 2nd version of HTTP/2 node.js server.
- has discovered bugs in both Firefox/Chrome's HTTP/2 draft implementations.
- making progress on bug 853423 (wifi routers crashing)
- summer intern trying to figure out why geolocation on linux doesn't work (bug 849204). May need help
- Lots of PTO on team
List of projects currently in progress
- bug 900050, bug 900181, bug 900090, bug 900047, bug 900088, bug 899309: Eliminating static constructors & removing dead code
- bug 902024: Evaluating Australis tab animation performance with new test
- bug 899783: D2D initialization delays first paint by hundreds of milliseconds
- See bottom of document for Nathan Froyd's blog posts about Firefox compilation times and Fennec page load time
- bug 836922 - in progress: CSP multiple policy support coming (code refactor + flexibility for apps)
- bug 762593 - landed today: Insecure password warnings in dev security console
- Mohammed's CRLs intern presentation was a great success!
- bug 887052 - landed HSTS refactoring: nsIStrictTransportSecurityService was renamed to nsISiteSecurityService
- Mixed Content Blocker enabled by default in Firefox 23 (ALL THE CHANNELS!) this week
- If you like certificates: v2.2 of our CA policy is finalized.
- IndexedDB -> WebIDL almost complete! bug 763231
- we're hosting a meeting in Sept on responsive images, ping marcosc if you're interested: https://github.com/ResponsiveImagesCG/paris-meetup
- vacation season
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 5.29 (Previous Week: 6.03).
- 18 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- General numbers for the pre-uplift/release versions look good (high crash rates on 25 are fixed-before-uplift bug 900987), not really useful data for new versions/release yet.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
- What is the landing plan for Australis now? (Mossop)
<Read only beyond this point>
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
- Fabulous post by a Contributor on Firefox for Android http://mytechaddiction.blogspot.com/2013/07/contributing-to-firefox-for-android.html
- Another fabulous post about the patterns effective teams by our mfinkle: http://starkravingfinkle.org/blog/2013/07/patterns-of-effective-teams/
- Nathan Froyd blogged about increases in Firefox compilation times since Firefox 15 https://blog.mozilla.org/nfroyd/2013/08/02/i-got-99-problems-and-compilation-time-is-one-of-them/
- Nathan Froyd also blogged about NYTimes.com load times on Fennec: https://blog.mozilla.org/nfroyd/2013/08/01/visual-event-tracing-on-android-and-eideticker/