Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2013-10-15 - 11:00 am Pacific
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Widmer
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Actions
- 2 Hot Bugs
- 3 The Need To Know
- 4 Key Issues
- 5 Team Stand-ups
- 5.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 5.2 Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- 5.3 App Tools (dtownsend)
- 5.4 B2G Services (dougt)
- 5.5 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 5.6 DOM (jst/dougt)
- 5.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)
- 5.8 Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- 5.9 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 5.10 Firefox OS Browser (blassey)
- 5.11 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 5.12 Firefox OS Devices/Porting/Bluetooth (mchen)
- 5.13 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 5.14 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 5.15 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 5.16 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 5.17 Firefox OS Telephony/Connectivities (kenhkchang)
- 5.18 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 5.19 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 5.20 GFX (milan)
- 5.21 Identity (jedp)
- 5.22 JS (naveed)
- 5.23 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 5.24 Media (mreavy)
- 5.25 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 5.26 Performance (vladan)
- 5.27 Seceng (mmc)
- 5.28 WebAPI (overholt)
- 6 Quality Programs
- 7 Roundtable
- 8 <Read only beyond this point>
(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)
- Orange Factor
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
|Next Merge: May 4, 2020||Next Release: May 5, 2020|
|Central: 77||Aurora: 54||Beta: 76||Release:|
- FF25b8 includes a fix for the sec-moderate FF24 regression bug 916126 – Firefox 24.0b1+ does not mark downloaded executables as coming from Internet zone
- Our most concerning bugs w/r/t FF25 right now are:
- [Desktop, FF25 regression] bug 920725 – crash in nsHtml5StreamParser::WriteStreamBytes(unsigned char const*, unsigned int, unsigned int*)
- [Mobile, FF25 regression] bug 913402 – The bookmark added notification toast doesn't disappear from the screen
- [Desktop, FF24 affected] bug 925459 – crashes related to bitguard.dll
- We're two weeks away from merge & release!
- Look out for the 'Coupled Train' model proposal at the end of the week on dev.planning
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
App Tools (dtownsend)
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (robcee)
- over 20 Intermittent Debugger Oranges closed. Hallelujah!
- CSS properties for SVG elements in inspector.
- Pretty Printing improvements in Debugger.
Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)
Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
Discussing profile sharing between Metro and desktop.
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- Top crasher just uplifted to Beta bug 902426 - crash in mozilla::dom::CanvasRenderingContext2D::Demote
- Landed for Fx27 bug 698437 - Allow navigation with directional controller
- Landed in Fx27 and we're hoping to get it uplifted to Fx26 bug 897162 - [Fig] about:home starts up slower on Android 2.3.x plus lot's of other new about:home goodness
- Generally managing risk around Fx25, Fx26 and catching up post-summit
Firefox OS Browser (blassey)
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- Sprint 2 has ended
- 31 koi+ bugs fixed
- Sprint 3 has started
- Team is committed for 29 koi+ fixes
- 1.3 features
- DSDS is the highest priority
- Scope is still to be defined
- Api and implementation work has started
- UX proposition Draft 2 has been made and is under review
- Some features regarding Dialer, SMS and Contacts are committed
- DSDS is the highest priority
Firefox OS Devices/Porting/Bluetooth (mchen)
- Last Week
- koi Bugs:
- Audio : 924787, 923173, 855208
- BT : 925663
- HFP with CDMA
- PTS Verification
- Partner Support
- koi Bugs:
- This Week
- koi Bugs.
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- Team is working heads-down on fixing koi+ bugs
- DJF landed cool feature for setting ringtones from snippets of music -- it's on master, check it out and provide feedback (will go live in 1.3)
- Reviewing wireframes, ux recommendations for camera, gallery related features for 1.3
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS Telephony/Connectivities (kenhkchang)
- Last week
- Fix koi+ issues.
- RTSP Client, to support rtsp streaming framework.
- NFC -
- To implement reading NDEF message for NFCD.
- To discuss NFC communication protocol with DT.
- EAP-SIM, to study if we can implement EAP-SIM function without modify wpa-supplicant.
- Multi-SIM, to enable emulator functions for Multi-SIM.
- WPA-EAP, to implement key manager function.
- WIFI-Direct, to do the WIFI-Direct porting on Nexus 4.
- Power metering, to move the power metering function from Gecko to Gaia.
- This week
- Fix koi+ issues.
- RTSP Client, to add the test cases for RTSP
- NFC -
- To refine the NFCD code and prepare for landing code.
- To add NFC communication protocol in NFCD.
- EAP-SIM, try to read the authentication data from SIM card, testing in Nexus 4.
- Multi-SIM, to implement webapi for DSDS.
- WPA-EAP, to import PKCS#12 CA by wifimanager.
- WIFI-Direct, to support start/stop DHCP server in Network Manager.
- Power metering, to discuss the WebAPI.
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
Please read Gaia/Team/Taipei/Meetings/2013-10-15 for detail.
v1.1hd: need to uplift a few patches. mostly lefts are [POVB]s and visual bugs and left others to handle.
v1.2: stabilization in flight.
- Input cursor management: in engineering planning
- Camera work: halt. status changed to nice-to-have and wait for UX input
- DSDS: Evaluating the spec and creating corresponding bugs.
- NFC: engineering planning in progress, specifically Gaia-Gecko division. Investigating UI work.
- Settings (EAP-SIM/MTP/SD card format): Waiting on UX.
- Tablet: UX for v1.3 work will be available Oct EOM. Working on other underlining issues.
- CDMA: no issues for now.
- 3rd-party keyboard framework for FxOS: Working on v1.2 leftovers, some of them koi+
- Zhuyin IME: no update this week.
- Settings engineering: planning in progress; may need to implement Settings app inline dialog to unblock v1.3 first
- Window management update: no update this week.
- IME API w/ hardware keyboard: proposal in discussion
- Hardware button events for apps: no update
- Bluetooth inline pairing etc: UX spec not available, need to figure out priorities.
- Bluetooth keyboard: On halt. Not a v1.3 feature.
- Hardware showcase app: reviewing patch to UI Test app (3rd round)
- Screenshot comparison tool: marionette-debug patches in review, prototype available.
- next week is work week: https://intranet.mozilla.org/Layout/graphics_work_week_paris
- Compiler (JIT)
- bug 920322: Fix deep cloning of elements & slots and instrument JSObject accordingly.
- Garbage Collection
- Now down to the neighborhood of 15-17 hazards in the browser.
- Front End and Other
- Generators are in SpiderMonkey central - http://wingolog.org/archives/2013/10/07/es6-generators-and-iteration-in-spidermonkey
- Intl patchwork: landed patch to make Intl initialization fully lazy, wrote/landed patch to make mochitests be fine with the presence/absence of Intl as appropriate for branch/nightly/b2g/etc. -- Intl is now on in nightlies! \o/ more work to be done yet re updating ICU, but we're in good shape on this front, finally
- Precursors to per-tab memory measurements bug 921954 bug 921923
- pthread_create() support now works.
- Compiler (JIT)
- No updates
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work! Here are some highlights:
- Neil Rashbrook (NeilAway) prevented stale autocomplete results from being used (bug 911090).
- [first patch!] Aroon fixed a crash occuring when using extensions with multi-version XPCOM components (bug 881237).
- Masatoshi Kimura (emk) webidl-ified some more interfaces (bug 872934).
- Marco Castelluccio (marco) added an OS.File method to remove directories recursively (bug 923540).
- Robert Longson (longsongr) fixed a layout assertion (bug 919371).
- Andy Wingo (wingo) made the bit layout of JSScript flags more precise (bug 911334).
- Deian Stefan fixed a CSP-related problem that caused github-deployed addons to stop updating (bug 919209).
- Dan Gohman (sunfish) made a bunch of JIT-related SpiderMonkey changes (bug 924285, bug 924634, bug 924637, bug 924639, bug 924641, bug 924642, bug 924648, bug 924649, bug 925088).
- Sankha Narayan Guria (sankha93) added a read-ahead flag to OS.File (bug 693838, bug 865387).
- David Zbarsky (dzbarsky) properly rooted some toolkit code (bug 864785).
- [first patch!] Sebastiaan de Haan improved mach usability (bug 908868).
- [first patch!] Dustin L. Howett fixed a startup error caused by case-sensitive filesystems (bug 812647).
- Tareq Khandaker fixed a spec-compliance bug in geolocation (bug 857330).
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)