Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2013-12-17 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Widmer
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Actions
- 2 Hot Bugs
- 3 The Need To Know
- 4 Key Issues
- 5 Team Stand-ups
- 5.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 5.2 Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- 5.3 App Tools (dtownsend)
- 5.4 B2G Services (dougt)
- 5.5 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 5.6 DOM (jst)
- 5.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 5.8 Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- 5.9 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 5.10 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 5.11 Firefox OS Devices Porting / Bluetooth (mchen)
- 5.12 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 5.13 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 5.14 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 5.15 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 5.16 Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- 5.17 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 5.18 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 5.19 GFX (milan)
- 5.20 Identity (jedp)
- 5.21 JS (naveed)
- 5.22 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 5.23 Media (mreavy)
- 5.24 Shumway (mbx)
- 5.25 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 5.26 Performance (vladan)
- 5.27 Seceng (mmc)
- 5.28 WebAPI (overholt)
- 6 Quality Programs
- 7 Roundtable
- 8 <Read only beyond this point>
(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)
- Orange Factor
- OF is running nearly double its typical level over the past few weeks.
- If you're needinfo?ed or assigned to a bug, please respond.
- Bug 934057 and bug 934301 from last week disabled due to ongoing failures and lack of activity.
- #6: bug 915879 - Intermittent test_packaged_app_update.html | Test timed out.
- jst to find owner
- Two topcrashes on release (and we are still throttled) with JSC::Yarr  -- while this is not our code, would like to have someone take a look before we unthrottle
- High volume of user feedback about scrolling breakage on windows in FF26 bug 949275 -- would like some engineering help
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
- FF27.0b2 desktop is shipped, last beta until Tues, Jan 7th
- FF27.0b2 mobile on track to ship tomorrow
- FF26.0 unthrottled on Thurs if signed off
- Post-Mortem for FF26 release during Thursday's Channel Meeting (2pm PST in ReleaseCoordination)
|Next Merge: August 22, 2022||Next Release: August 23, 2022|
|Central: 105||Aurora: 54||Beta: 104||Release:|
|Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta)||Unresolved Beta 104 Trackers (non-security)|
- (RyanVM) See the B2G Landing Page for information about the different B2G releases, where they live, and how to get patches landed on them.
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
- WebIDL Windows clobber issues have hopefully been resolved!
- Some fallout has been reported. File any issues and make sure things chain back to bug 928195.
- GYP project generation has been rewritten and is now part of config.status (not configure).
- The clobber issue related to touching .gypi files was fixed as part of this.
- bug 950297 tracks merging js/src's shadow copy of the build system with the main build system
- This should make configure times much shorter on Windows
- Fixed a clobber issue related to wildcards in support-files in test manifests (bug 934739)
- Please help with the effort to move mochitests into manifests (bug 920185)
- It will make builds faster!
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
- crash-stats outage window from 5-7.30pm PST tonight for an emergency upgrade. (bug 949096)
(Changes to RelEng infra of which engineers should be aware.)
- Migrating Linux tests off of old rev3 mac minis running Fedora, and onto EC2 wherever possible. In particular:
- Switchover of our git mirror of gecko complete. Please use https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev now.
- https://github.com/mozilla/mozilla-central is retired
(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
App Tools (dtownsend)
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (robcee)
- 24 bugs fixed
- ICC (Incremental Cycle Collector) landing this week, preffed off (bug 850065)
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- Currently whittling down our aurora to beta uplift blocker list (34 bugs).
- Recent changes of note:
- Added a pref to completely disable add-on loading (bug 946296).
- Disabled automatic desktop<->Metro switching on convertible tablet/laptop hybrid devices (bug 940677).
- Windows "Start" tile now launches in the user's previously-chosen UI, instead of always defaulting to Metro (bug 946990).
- Added ability for tests to simulate widget touch events, for testing touch gestures (bug 941774).
- ...and also lots of APZC bugs, UX polish bugs, and profile sharing bugs.
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- Shuwmay extension landed in Nightly only for easier testing and enabling bug 905668. Next, we need bug 941785 and bug 941778.
- Speaking of Flash, bustage has been fixed up through Aurora bug 948003
- We're spinning up an effort to focus on making Sync better for Fx29, stay tuned for details bug 799726
- Support UI telemetry landed in Nightly bug 932092
- We're working on getting our testing house in order:
- bug 910859 - Bootstrap new UI testing framework
- bug 938969 - Intermittent in testAboutHomeVisibility: got http://mochi.test:8888/tests/robocop/robocop_blank_01.html, expected Browser Blank
- normalization feature added to ANR dashboard http://darchons.github.io/anr-dashboard/
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Devices Porting / Bluetooth (mchen)
- bug 932701 Keep the priority & nice value of threads related to media playback to equal or higher then foreground app
- Investigate how to integrate MediaCodec or ACodec into gecko for decoding flow.
- bug 942078- Video thumbnail generation rule
- Bug fixing: bug 937611, bug 947113, bug 947856, bug 943332
- bug 948832 About Service - Study phase.
- Tarako: Investigate Android on 128MB from Vendor.
- Gonk-Kitkat Porting: Prepare the manifest for building image.
- Fugu: On-site support.
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- Bug Investigation and Fixes for some of them: http://tinyurl.com/paqfk6e
- Landed targeted media features into 1.3 except for the image orientation gallery feature which will land in the next train
- Triaging and Continuing to work on 1.3 bugs that are coming in
- Starting requirements grooming and planning for 1.4
- Continuing on quality improvements for some of the media apps
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- bug 879668 - [MediaEncoder] Implement OmxTrackEncoder on B2G
- bug 891704 - [MediaEncoder] Implement MP4Writer
- bug 898949 - [B2G getUserMedia] Display front/back camera list on permission prompt
- bug 893304 - Convert CanvasClientWebGL (and Host) to the new textures
- bug 946245 - [Display][gonk-kk] Porting GonkDisplay, nativewindow and libui
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- Testing is well underway on our new 1.3 features. Find, fix, repeat.
- We have reviewed the new targeted features for Clock, Calendar and E-mail
- Team is scoping the work this week and we'll get started on development in the first half of January
Lots of changes to report:
- New team members: The UX group has moved around some assignments and we have four new team members in Taipei who will handle all of our UX needs: Mike Tsai, Neo Hsieh, Harly Hsu and Juwei Huang
- Clock app: The Bocoup group have been working on this app for the 1.2 & 1.3 releases and Mike Pennisi at Bocoup is the current module owner. They are coming off the project at the end of January so we are beginning the process to transition the ownership of this app back into our team.
- Notes/Notes+ app: Everything.me created these apps for the initial launch of FxOS and published them in the marketplace. They are no longer interested in maintaining the apps so we are also bringing this effort into the Productivity team. The first order of business is to clean up the Evernote integration in the Notes+ app. We have started working on this now with a new contractor on our team.
- Backlog management: Like other teams, we have found that trying to manage our backlog in Pivotal Tracker has not been very successful. Trying to keep it in sync with Bugzilla proved to be too much overhead. For 1.4, we're moving back into bugzilla with a combination of whiteboards and flags to identify our current and future work. The Pivotal Tracker board will be cleaned out and removed.
Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- Last week
- To fix V1.3 issues.
- RTSP Client, to fix seek crash problem.
- NFC, to add the handover function.
- LTE, to study partner's requirements.
- WPA-EAP, to import Cert by WifiManager.
- WIFI-Direct, to support multi-connection function.
- Power metering, to implement PowerStats API.
- Network metering, to obtain network tethering statistics.
- This week
- To fix V1.3 issues.
- RTSP Client, to fix crash problem when reconnect.
- NFC, to have architecture for payment.
- LTE, to discuss unclear requirements with partner.
- WPA-EAP, to import Cert by WifiManager.
- WIFI-Direct, to add test cases.
- Power metering, to implement PowerStats API.
- Network metering, to obtain network tethering statistics.
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- (v1.4) 3rd-party keyboard support: Trying out enabling OOP locally, Xulei's patch is on the path.
- According to William automation is green
- Smoketest still occasionally fail, looking
- Gecko patch to be landed this week; Gaia patches have all landed
- Tim is working on getting keyboard app show up on datazilla (bug 950562)
- (v1.4) Cursor management: no update
- (v1.4) Built-in keyboard update & dynamic touch target: no update
- (v1.3) Lockscreen: On track. Tweaking animation bug 945601.
- DSDS: most gaia works have landed.
- NFC: reviewing patches
- Tablet: Gallery & Video app patches landed.
- EAP-SIM (v1.3): Blocked by POVB fixes but most work in Gecko and Gaia are done
- Format SD Card (v1.4): Gecko will not ready until sprint 3. Gaia work on halt, waiting on UX spec
- CDMA: small issues, discussion on testing shared script
- Window management: major rewrite (bug 907013) landed and regressions looks minor and manageable, addressing follow-up. Next: 1) move attention screen animation to System, 2) keyboard frame management(?), 3) pop-up window rewrite
- Engineering mode: working on payment tests, FM radio tests
- Will start scheduling the meetings to consult with different people and groups on the graphics priorities as collected here.
- Mini work week in progress, focusing on:
- CSS Variables in Firefox 29 (landed and enabled for Firefox 29 this week, blog post)
- input type=number in Firefox 28 (enabled for Firefox 28 this week, blog post)
- Multi-line flexbox support in Firefox 28 (landed last week, blog post this week)
- Cisco released the OpenH264 code - https://github.com/cisco/openh264 (which we'll be adding to Firefox's WebRTC implementation in H1 of 2014)
- Working on hardware acceleration with help from third parties
- VP9 decoding support is now in our tree (starting with Fx 28 - see bug 833023). WebRTC is not using VP9 at this point because there isn't a real-time VP9 encoder.
- Made good progress on implementing ShumwayWorker (bug 949992), got commitment to get sync messaging for ShumwayWorker done by the second week of January.
- Discovered ongoing work on getting multiple globals into workers.
- Landed invalidation refactoring, fixed several parsing bugs and LoaderURL API.
- Media Source Extensions / MP3 Support reported bug 950120, was recently fixed.
- Switched to DOM Promises
- Optimizations to Render Loop
- Investigate Script Timeout API
- Implement XML Node API, refactor ByteArray inflate/deflate.
- Identify Rendering Perf Issues in Mushroomer
- Integrate WebGL Compositor
- Investigate Bugs JW Player (blocked on media source extension)
- nsIDNSService is now working in child process bug 945066
- HTTP/2 work: have patches for v8 in review, working on code for v9
- new HTTP cache: index almost done, tracking down some infrequent crashes
- We're planning to turn on TCP_KEEPALIVE to help detect lame-network freezes. See bug 444328
- Telemetry dashboard is updating with the the latest data again
- Jonasfj is working on a new dashboard UI: http://mozilla.github.io/telemetry-dashboard
- bug 946567: Investigating OMTC regressions on Windows Talos tests
- Many build improvements
- No update
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- [no audible] trending well on criticals, please watch those highs.
- Chasing Nuwa regressions; it is disabled again due to a couple of problems.
- DMD now works on optimized Windows builds. Please read the instructions.
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 7.89 (Previous Week: 6.57).
- Shout-out to smaug for fixing 6 oranges last week!
- 21 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Overall numbers look good.
- See bug tree for crash sites that should be using fallible allocators. Mentors and bugfixers wanted.
- bsmedberg would like to hear thoughts about how we might diagnose OOM issues, because normal stack-based analysis isn't that useful.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
- (lmandel) This meeting is cancelled for the next two weeks (Dec 24 and 31). We'll next meet on Jan 7, 2014.
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work! Here are some highlights:
- Alexandros Chronopoulos (achronop) shuffled some audio code around (bug 911482).
- Arnaud Bienner fixed an input layout bug (bug 943966).
- Alessio Placitelli made some high-risk allocations fallible (bug 943511).
- [first patch!] Tor Arvid Lund (torarvid) improved some gfx code (bug 929513).
- Douglas Crosher (dougc) improved asm.js benchmarks (bug 948400, bug 949742).
- Kevin Simons (kevsim) fixed a reftest crash (bug 944646).
- Masatoshi Kimura (emk) performed some code maintenance and fixed a variety of issues (bug 941300, bug 948268, bug 948914, bug 949292, bug 949879, bug 950032).
- Peiyong Lin (lpy) made a high-risk allocation fallible (bug 943505).
- Andy Wingo (wingo) improved SpiderMonkey (bug 927782).
- Masaya Iseki improved SpiderMonkey's concatenation behaviour (bug 930565).
- Robert Longson (longsonr) fixed an intermittent crash (bug 951137).
- Quentin Headen (qheaden) rewrote some MathML code (bug 731667).
- Fred Wang (fredw) improved MathML (bug 527201).
- Deian Stefan fixed a CSP problem impacting B2G (bug 943460).
- Dan Gohman (sunfish) did some janitorial work for SpiderMonkey (bug 678745, bug 941715, bug 948241, bug 949171, bug 950701, bug 950716).
- [first patch!] Adam Casey (adamncasey) fixed computed style width for SVG (bug 874919).
- Xidorn Quan improved test-coverage for CSS properties (bug 946895).
- Alessandro Decina improved video code (bug 928806).
- Jan Gerber improved VP8/VP9 code (bug 945863, bug 947160, bug 947954, bug 949146).
- Cykesiopka performed assorted code maintenance (bug 539710, bug 835150, bug 910986).
- Benjamin Bouvier (bbouvier) improved asm.js float support (bug 904918).
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
13:59 lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2013-12-17 14:04 robcee lurks, camera's not plugged 14:04 laura: lmandel: refresh, I added something under upgrades and outages 14:05 lmandel: laura: Thanks for the ping 14:05 laura: (I was late to join, sorry) 14:09 mccr8_: "mozilla central is retired" 14:09 lmandel: gavin: Desktop update? 14:10 blassey: so many woots!! 14:13 KaiRo: lmandel: no audible from me today in the quality programs section 14:13 gavin: lmandel: only update this week is that gavin is dead and is looking forward to holidays 14:13 RyanVM|sheriffduty: lmandel: no audibles 14:14 lmandel: KaiRo, gavin, RyanVM|sheriffduty: Thanks 14:14 lmandel: gavin: I know how you feel. Enjoy the upcoming down time. 14:15 lmandel: Any questions or other roundtable items? 14:15 lsblakk: +1 14:17 ctalbert: gavin ++ me too 14:17 laura: gavin++ 14:17 elan: \o/