Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-02-25 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Actions
- 2 Hot Bugs
- 3 The Need To Know
- 4 Team Stand-ups
- 4.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 4.2 Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- 4.3 App Tools (prouget)
- 4.4 B2G Services (dougt)
- 4.5 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 4.6 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 4.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 4.8 Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- 4.9 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 4.10 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 4.11 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- 4.12 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 4.13 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 4.14 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 4.15 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 4.16 Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- 4.17 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 4.18 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 4.19 GFX (milan)
- 4.20 Identity (jedp)
- 4.21 JS (naveed)
- 4.22 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 4.23 Media (mreavy)
- 4.24 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 4.25 Performance (vladan)
- 4.26 Seceng (mmc)
- 4.27 Shumway (mbx)
- 4.28 WebAPI (overholt)
- 5 Quality Programs
- 6 Roundtable
- 7 <Read only beyond this point>
(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)
- Orange Factor
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
- 28.0b6 desktop shipping this afternoon PT
- next desktop beta gtb on Thursday
- No more speculative fixes landed after this week
- Help Wanted on Aurora tracked bug: can someone help Whimboo with a regression range here bug 963474 as it seems fx-team landings aren't lining up with trunk
|Next Merge: October 21, 2019||Next Release: October 22, 2019|
|Central: 71||Aurora: 54||Beta: 70||Release: 69.0|
|Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta)||Unresolved Beta 70 Trackers (non-security)|
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
- builds now using AWS spot instances on a mix of instance types -> less $$$ (bug 972562)
- We can make use of faster hardware too!
- Killed jobs should be automatically retried. Please file a bug with releng if they're not
- started rolling out "jacuzzis" for certain build types -> faster builds (bug 970738)
- see Ben's blog for more background
- glandium's shared cache is giving great results on try - see his blog for details
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
- Marco and Eitan are in the Toronto office this week to work with Yura on FFOS a11y.
- WAI-ARIA is in candidate recommendation stage. Comments welcome on the related dev-platform thread (started by dbaron earlier this month).
Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- Amazing meetup last week, details to follow this week
App Tools (prouget)
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (robcee)
- Honoring document.domain is now the exception instead of the rule (per spec).
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- Made demos for MWC that are currently being shown off by mfinkle and elan
- triaged remaining bugs to a list of Fx30 blockers for this feature
- fixed WebRTC Audio for Gingerbread bug 974378
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- Gonk, porting and partner issues (Danny Liang, Shawn Ku, Vincent Liu, Viral Wang)
- Nexus 5
- App uses front-facing camera crashes on Nexus-5 (bug 974919, investigated. This has been marked as a dup)
- Media Playback (Blake Wu, Bruce Sun, Star Cheng)
- Video thumbnail generation rule and API discussion
- We've reached an agreement to use createResizedImage() API for generating video thumbnail. (bug 942078)
- Presented the design of PlatformDecoderModule for FirefoxOS to EPMs/PMs. (bug 941302)
- Potential bad A/V sync because of not considering audio latency (bug 942988, patch is being reviewed)
- Color conversion between HAL_PIXEL_FORMAT_YCbCr_420_SP_VENUS and RGB565 (bug 961627, kk-porting blocker, r+)
- Reverse engineering on VENUS color format transform was done, however our legal (Jishnu) suggested not to do reverse engineering.
- Since QC has already had a solution, Michael Vines removed the dependency with the kk-porting meta bug so this was no longer a blocker.
- We should be able to handle the video if its display width and height are not the same as its data width and height. (bug 970774, Bruce gave some feedback)
- Video thumbnail generation rule and API discussion
- Bluetooth (Ben Tian, Eric Chou, Jamin Liu, Shawn Huang)
- WebBluetooth API discussion
- The API we have discussed includes overall architecture design, power on/off, parameter setter/getter, discovering and pairing related API. We target to release our API and start to implement it on our local branch by the end of next week.
- AVRCP doesn't work right (bug 961984, kk-porting blocker, investigated and delegated to Gaia::Music)
- Implemented GATT Client API in gecko Bluetooth in order to support BT 4.0 (bluedroid only) (bug 933357, WIP)
- Modified test cases to map the interface change on emulator (bug 860698, WIP)
- WebBluetooth API discussion
- Camera (Ben Tian)
- Stability (Alphan Chen)
- Implementation of about::service (bug 964636)
- Got feedback+ from reviewer and still worked on making the interface more generic.
- Study MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)
- Implementation of about::service (bug 964636)
- Device Storage (Alan Huang)
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- bug 971639 - [MediaEncoder] Support fragment 3GP format
- bug 971641 - [MediaEncoder] Support AMR audio format in 3GP
- bug 932562 - Allow running gtests with a b2g build
- bug 959505 - [Display][gonk-kk] Porting GonkNativeWindowClient, GonkBufferQueue, and FakeSurfaceComposer
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- To fix 1.3 bugs,
- QC Blocker list,
- bug 881174 - B2G CDMA: support conference (3-way) call.
- bug 960865 - B2G RIL: support dun apn type.
- bug 969218 - B2G RIL: using promise for telephony.dial() and dialEmergency()
- bug 975813 - Support IPv6 in Network Manager
- bug 900429 - (b2g-ril-cdma) Personalization state for CDMA.
- bug 973771 - B2G RIL: Preferred Network types for LTE.
- bug 881174 - B2G CDMA: support conference (3-way) call
- bug 960865 - B2G RIL: support dun apn type
- bug 973842 - support adding routes in secondary routing tables
- bug 961571 - B2G RIL: support ims apn type
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- Helping out other teams with 1.3 blockers.
- Finishing download manager for 1.4.
- All the bugs we are working on: https://wiki.mozilla.org/FirefoxOS/systemsfe
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- Tarako: (Steve) Working with Thinker et al on ringtone latency issue. It seems that Gaia workaround is not possible.
- 3rd-party keyboard support (Rudy): Gecko issue resolved (bug 968991), feature to be enabled AFTER 1.4. A 1.4+ bug is caused by workaround removed in Messages app. Will communicate and get that focus management workaround back and worked out a focus management plan for Gecko/Gaia in 1.5.
- Lock Screen (Greg): Emergency call as an app patch ready for review (will land on bubble-tea). Working on widget management and sync with TV discussion.
- Built-in keyboard update (Tim, Rudy): Working on converting app pattern. Will land on master because the test app is not included in the production build. Jan will help and David will only be able to be consulted.
- DSDS (EJ, Arthur): A 1.4+ feature landed (“always ask”). Waiting on [PVOB] dependency for bug 962380. Working on 1.4 committed features, bug 921391 and bug 975918 (call forwarding and voice mail.
- Format SD card (Ian): Working on Gaia UI of SD card status and mount/unmount UI.
- NFC (Greg): No update on Gaia. Small UI fixes landed on master.
- Build script (Yuren, George): Working on shared script handling and copy to build_stage.
- Window management (Alive): Working on opening new sheet for haida (will land on bubble-tea first), suspended app resuming. 1.4+ regression to be fixed.
- System refactor (Alive, etc): Stage 1 bug WIP on bubble-tea.
- Gecko Profiler GUI (Alive): added more features.
- Settings (Fred, Arthur, Evan): AMD patches will land to bubble-tea temporary. 6 tests remaining to be done (Travis-CI timing issue), will be landed on master.
- Gaia Audio Channel Service (Dominic, Alive): UX have produced the first draft, in discussion. Next: Prioritize the items in the planning phase of 1.5.
- Music (Dominic): Fixing some 1.3 and 1.4 blockers.
- Message/DSDS (Steve): Working on 1.4 required features. DSDS features is wrapping up.
- Calendar (Evan): Fixing some top-10 bugs.
- JS Marionette (Evan): Broke TPBL due to dependency issue, fixing.
- focus for the graphics team for the next three weeks:
No update this week
- The former Talkilla team now reports to mreavy, and the project has been renamed "Loop" (codename, NOT a product name)
- Landed final support for B2G getUserMedia video (rotation (bug 970183) and front/back camera support (bug 898949)). So gUM video is scheduled to ship in v1.4. If you have problems with gUM video on B2G, please file bugs and cc mreavy.
- If you're using a Mac with WebRTC in speakerphone mode and it echoes badly, try adding this pref: media.peerconnection.capture_delay: 50 (bug 974537)
- Fixed "black screens on TokBox conferences" (one-way video was broken) bug 972097 and uplifted to aurora & beta
- Continue to add more stuff to about:webrtc (only shows interesting stuff while the call is active)
- Http cache landed on m-c temporarily. We found some bugs to fix. Thanks!
- We're going to support "moving" channels from a child back to the parent. See bug 975338 if you have use cases that could benefit.
No update this week
- Support for OCSP (bug 915931) and certificate error overrides (bug 975122) were added to insanity::pkix, the new certificate verification library replacing NSS's certificate verification. insanity::pkix for TLS is still pref'd-off (security.use_insanity_verification=false). It is expected to be enabled soon, after EV support (bug 921895) and OCSP caching (bug 915932) are added, and after more testing is done. If you don't care about your own HTTPS security and you play with this, please report any issues, particularly compatibility issues, in the "Core :: Security: PSM" component ASAP.
- Signed packaged app installation, based on insanity::pkix, was uplifted to Aurora 29 (bug 896620). While it is unclear which release packaged app installation will officially get enabled for, with this you can already play Cut-the-Rope in Firefox 29 Aurora and Firefox 30 Nightly (tested on Windows):
- Go to https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/cut-the-rope?src=search
- Using Firefox Developer Tools, remove the disabled="" attribute and the "incompatible" class from the app install button (labeled "free"). This will enable the button.
- Click the button.
- You will be prompted to install the app. Approve the install.
- You will get a system tray notification. Click "run the app" in the notification.
- The app will start up full screen. Play the game for a while.
- Exit the game.
- "Show Desktop."
- Observe that the "Cut the Rope" application shortcut is on the desktop.
- Double-click the shortcut to start the game again.
- Play the game some more.
- Occasionally look up so it looks like you're paying attention to the rest of the updates in this meeting.
- Application Reputation: Landed bug 964465 support for whitelisting based on certificate information
- Marcos did a study on standalone web apps on iOS: https://github.com/w3c-webmob/installable-webapps/blob/gh-pages/ios_standalone/README.md
- PBackground landed: allows any thread in any process to have a direct connection to a single non-main thread in the parent process
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Brian Hackett landed two patches reduce the overhead of a trivial web worker from ~1 MiB to ~0.2MiB. Additional ideas are in the tracking bug.
- Andrew McCreight fixed a bad leak in the Monster Madness demo.
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 4.64 (Previous Week: 6.57).
- 15 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Overall numbers look pretty good except for Nightly, the bugs there are being worked on.
- Beta 28 for Android continues to look awesome in stability data!
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work, and say hi to new contributors Justin Shrake, Kunal Arora, Chris Lewis, and Ulrich Weigand! Here are some highlights:
- Tom Schuster (evilpie) implemented some e10s input dialogs (bug 910384, bug 963294).
- Arnaud Sourioux (Six) did some code maintenance (bug 973805, bug 974135, bug 974687).
- Emma Sajic consolidated some logging code (bug 661982).
- Douglas Crosher (dougc) fixed SpiderMonkey problems (bug 966881, bug 975110, bug 975138).
- Gábor Molnár added HTTP2 cookie tests (bug 961616).
- James Kitchener (jkitch) fixed some View Source linkification (bug 328755, bug 464222).
- Richard Marti (Paenglab) fixed an OS version media query on Windows 8 (bug 907373).
- [first patch!] Conrad Irwin added column numbers to JS error stacks (bug 762556).
- Emanuel Hoogeveen (ehoogeveen) fixed a JS shutdown crash (bug 971094).
- Robert Longson (longsonr) fixed some SVG problems (bug 500261, bug 970356, bug 974347, bug 974746).
- Fred Wang (fredw) fixed a MathML crash (bug 973322).
- Sankha Narayan Guria (sankha93) made a spec-compliance JS change (bug 975412).
- Geoff Lankow (darktrojan) addressed a missing interface method in nsIContentPrefService2 (bug 974295).
- Martin Stránský fixed a theme loading problem in some window managers (bug 972382).
- Alessandro Decina corrected some gstreamer problems (bug 973744, bug 974033).
- Maksim Lebedev corrected some pointer events problems (bug 970199, bug 973660).
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
11:02 KaiRo: cpeterson: no voice updates from stability today