Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-04-29 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 The Need To Know
- 2 Quality Programs
- 3 Team Stand-ups
- 3.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 3.2 App Tools (prouget)
- 3.3 B2G Services (dougt)
- 3.4 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 3.5 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 3.6 Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- 3.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 3.8 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 3.9 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 3.10 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- 3.11 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 3.12 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 3.13 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 3.14 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 3.15 Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- 3.16 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 3.17 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 3.18 GFX (milan)
- 3.19 Identity (jedp)
- 3.20 JS (naveed)
- 3.21 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 3.22 Media (mreavy)
- 3.23 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 3.24 Performance (vladan)
- 3.25 Seceng (mmc)
- 3.26 Shumway (tschneidereit)
- 3.27 WebAPI (overholt)
- 4 Roundtable
- 5 <Read only beyond this point>
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
- Firefox 29 has shipped
- Firefox 24.5.0 ESR also
- Firefox 30.0beta1 is with QA - release date is Thurs May 1
- Firefox 31.0a2 Aurora updates will be unthrottled on Friday May 2 after QA signs off
|Next Merge: January 25, 2021||Next Release: January 26, 2021|
|Central: 86||Aurora: 54||Beta: 85||Release: 84.0|
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 10.29 (Previous Week: 11.23).
- Thanks to Randell Jesup and JW Wang for fixing a number of media test crashes/failures.
- Thanks to Nathan Froyd for investigating and fixing common patterns contributing to test instability.
- Joel Maher pushing ahead with mochitest-bc run-by-dir work (bug 992911). Please take a look at dependencies of that bug for work that needs to be done so this work can land.
- 22 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- uptick in sec bugs delta this week. Your attention appreciated.
- Bobby Holley implemented the discarding of chrome script source code on B2G. This saves 1.26 MiB on Tarako (a big deal!) and a bit more on other B2G devices.
- We've had two out-of-band MemShrink meetings recently to deal with a surge of Tarako-related bugs, many of which are of the form "Do something in app A, then something in app B, and app A and/or B crashes due to OOM". Some of these can be fixed by fixing one thing, but the device has so little memory that for many of them won't be fixed without root-and-branch memory optimization efforts.
- Overall numbers look good, with the exception of Android Nightly, but the bugs there are well-tracked and being worked on.
- In fact, the most-recent data for beta on both desktop and Android show that we should have fixed all crash-volume-regressions just in time and should have a pretty decent release out the door today!
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
App Tools (prouget)
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (robcee)
- New DOM bindings for Window close to landing!
Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- e10s stability is pretty good. Most people on the e10s team dogfood e10s all the time.
- bug 982938 - Always save session on exit
- bug 992415 - Fixed FilePicker crash
- bug 997446 - Add "Open e10s Window" to hamburger menu (to make testing easier for our Windows friends)
- Getting help from some contributors working on Good First Bugs.
- Website to track add-on compatibility coming soon!
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- Bi-weekly Firefox backlog updates will be posted to firefox-dev, the first one was posted yesterday: https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/firefox-dev/2014-April/001593.html
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- Fx31, bug 994989 - Move Save as pdf to the Page menu
- Thanks for getting this fixed for Fx30 bug 996062 - [meta] Low-res and slow painting issues when scrolling subframes in Fennec
- Uplifted to Fx31: bug 949178 - Remove reading list button from reader mode toolbar
- We're just starting to do some UI Telemetry analysis with a focus on Home Panels - interesting stuff!
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- Device porting (Gonk team)
- Partner support at SPRD Shanghai
- Fixed several Flame bugs
- Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
- Cleaned up all 1.4 certification blockers.
- Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
- No special update. Team members worked on the same issues as last week.
- Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)
- Reviewed partner's patch which implemented a new mechanism for Tarako LMK / OOM killer.
- Refined about:service to have a more formatted output JSON file.
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- bug 911046 - WebRTC OmxCodec coding path support
- bug 998168 - nsITimer shouldn't be used in multiple threads in MediaDecoderStateMachine
- bug 987529 - Implement an observer manager for vsync in gecko/hal
- bug 987718 - [Text Selection] Display selection caret based on touch caret
- bug 814524 - Make WebGLContext::TexImage2D avoid readback for video elements
- bug 975346 - [LayerScope] LayerScope is not work while HWC is chosen
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- Responsiveness Performance
- User Interface Synchronicity writeup now up on MDN compliments of Eli Perelman; covers Synchronous & Asynchronous UI strategies.
- Eli will start creating bugs and issuing responsiveness improvement patches for core FxOS applications using these techniques.
- Power Consumption
- Building Flame device battery harnesses for QA/Automation
- bug 972075 is likely to land this week.
- Adds profile markers for key windowing events like "load end", "first paint", etc.
- screenshot: https://bug972075.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8414531
- Docker Proposal
- Dave Huseby & Eli Perelman are working on a proposal to use docker to ease B2G (and gaia) building/bisecting/debugging/profiling.
- bug 972075 is likely to land this week.
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- bug 993255 - [B2G] [RIL] follow-up of bug 990467 - should hangUp pendingMO properly
- bug 999334 - [Tarako][Dialer]Dial to invalid number will trigger two call out
- bug 1000705 - [tarako] last call fail cause is not correctly updated if the call is hung up by user
- bug 998244 - [ZTE][OPEN C_1.3]MMS cannot be sent in the network of Join operator.
- bug 987760 - [v1.4] Investigate test_settings_wifi.py failure.
- bug 997791 - Regression on wifi enable/disable
- bug 1000670 - [B2G] [RIL] expose "clirmodechange" event to gaia.
- bug 997584 - [B2G] [RIL] mobileConnection::setCallingLineIdRestriction() doesn't work well on DSDS. SIM_1 is affected if set on SIM_2
- bug 981519 - [CDMA] Number and name presentation.
- bug 1001897 - crash in wifi_connect_on_socket_path
- bug 999388 - [Wifi][tarako] CTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING is not sent from gonk after close wpa_supplicant connection
- bug 898445 - B2G RIL: Move mozMobileConnection/MozMobileConnectionInfo/MozMobileNetworkInfo/MozMobileCellInfo to WebIDL.
- bug 939046 - B2G RIL: Data call and RILNetworkInterface enhancement
- bug 998899 - [META][RTSP] Build automated tests for RTSP feature
- bug 996765 - [RTSP] Support TCP-interleaved RTP transport
- bug 1001261 - B2G WiFi emulation on emulator-jb,kk
- bug 745468 - Support EAP-PEAP and EAP-TTLS
- bug 933588 - B2G NFC: Rewrite NFC Worker in C++. pending
- bug 1001315 - [NFC] Testcase for reading url from type 2 tag.
- bug 997576 - [NFC] Testcase for reading empty NFC tag.
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- Compiler (JIT)
- Garbage Collection
- Front End and Other
PJS: parallel generational GC basically operational Landed asm.js stack-walking
- Notable Bug Fixes:
- bug 998206 - Add --shuffle option to runreftests.py and 'mach reftest'
- bug 1000167 - Choose the right animated geometry root for inactive layer contents
- bug 923376 - Spellcheck all appended nodes, not just the first.
- bug 950386 - Move mozilla::Selection to mozilla::dom::Selection.
- bug 997506 - Call CreateNeededFrames for all ProcessPendingRestyles calls.
- bug 991837 - Only enable APZC during reftest-ipc (e10s)
- bug 989994 - Follow up the parent chain when making continuations non-fluid at the end of a directional text run.
- bug 1000350 - Don't overwrite a layout set display port base with an APZC-guessed one
- bug 997820 - Really disable telemetry during reftests
- Landed an important regression fix for the AEC before uplift (bug 1001272)
- Fixed major bug for TURN on windows (bug 1000858)
- Fixed B2G webrtc VP8 call regression due to bug 911046
- getUserMedia() supports width and height constraints
- Media team focusing on oranges over the next month
- Timer thread usage fix killed top orange bug 981153 (test-seek)
- Top-orange B2G emulator opt timeout bug 963244 (test_datachannel_basicAudio) was disabled -- need to investigate what this problem is (as part of the "reduce media oranges" work)
- Removed canplaythrough state check in media streaming tests (killed off a few oranges)
- Planning to land new HTTP cache this week or early next week.
- all oranges currently fixed, but Talos and jsreftest need some pref improvements.
- If it sticks we will want to soon turn off cache v1 IDLs for Addons/JS (still used internally for appcache).
- We landed the Resource Timing API (pref'd off). We need to figure out which followups we need in order to pref it on (maybe none?): see meta-bug bug 1002855
- http/2: our implementation is up to draft12
- Daniel Stenberg also contributed a HTTP/2 packet decoder for Wireshark (in nightly Wireshark builds)
- RTSP Video is now turned on for Firefox OS V2
- We have patches for having https:/ connections to HTTP proxy (with TLS tunneled over TLS)
- This will be great for mobile proxy privacy
- Our user privacy story for mobile proxy optimizers is still an open question (3rd party sees all URIs user visits).
No updates this week
- ongoing work on new bindings for builtins
- mostly finished complicated and error-prone work on DisplayObject (mbx owes beers to people finding bugs in that code)
- got WebGL-based rendering backend to working again
- progress on efficient implementation of filters and blendmodes
- picked up implementation work for ShumwayWorker again
No update this week.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
10:54 KaiRo: cpeterson: no voice update from stability today 10:54 cpeterson: KaiRo: ok, thanks 11:00 cpeterson: lmandel: do you know the admin PIN for the Engineering meeting's Vidyo room? 11:02 lsblakk: cpeterson: i am on my way to meeting, starting up vidyo 11:05 jduell: jst: ooh, fancier conference tables in new MV office... 11:05 Waldo: didn't know Canadians had excess enthusiasm like that 11:05 jst: jduell: yeah, pretty fancy around here :) 11:08 Waldo: mm, voiping a little 11:08 Waldo: likes the Wings logo in the background 11:08 Waldo: the season, so it goes 11:08 davidb: cpeterson: small update (need to refresh) for critsmash is "uptick in sec bugs delta this week." 11:09 cpeterson: davidb: ok 11:09 Waldo: Window as WebIDL, such awesome 11:09 Waldo: woo early-cycle landings 11:10 RyanVM|sheriffduty: Waldo: :) 11:10 RyanVM|sheriffduty: Waldo: FFS, vidyo undid the config changes I made for the voiping 11:10 Waldo: heh 11:11 Waldo: scumbag vidyo 11:11 RyanVM|sheriffduty: :) 11:11 Waldo: haiku os? 11:11 Waldo: trolls 11:15 Waldo: yeeeeeeehaw 11:15 Waldo: woo new cache 11:15 Waldo: "the cached data is in another castle" 11:16 Waldo: mm, wireshark 11:17 RyanVM|sheriffduty: mreavy: RE: bug 963244 - I disabled that test a couple days ago 11:20 mreavy: RyanVM|sheriffduty: thanks, I missed that. I'll update the notes. 11:21 RyanVM|sheriffduty: I already did :) 11:23 johnath: 32 11:23 johnath: is a number, provided out of context, through the miracle of keyboard focus loss 11:25 rstrong: destruct sequence initiated 11:25 RyanVM|sheriffduty: and a very good number at that!