Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-09-02 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Need To Know
- 2 Quality Programs
- 3 Team Stand-ups
- 3.1 A*Team (jgriffin)
- 3.2 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 3.3 App Tools (prouget)
- 3.4 B2G Services (dougt)
- 3.5 Cloud Services (mmayo)
- 3.6 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 3.7 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 3.8 Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- 3.9 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 3.10 Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)
- 3.11 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 3.12 Firefox OS Connectivity (vchang)
- 3.13 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- 3.14 Firefox OS Media (slee)
- 3.15 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 3.16 Firefox OS Media Recording(pchang)
- 3.17 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 3.18 Firefox OS RIL (htsai)
- 3.19 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 3.20 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 3.21 GFX (milan)
- 3.22 JS (naveed)
- 3.23 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 3.24 Media (mreavy)
- 3.25 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 3.26 Performance (vladan)
- 3.27 Seceng (grobinson)
- 3.28 Shumway (tschneidereit)
- 3.29 WebAPI (overholt)
- 4 Roundtable
- 5 <Read only beyond this point>
Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
|Next Merge: TODAY||Next Release: February 11, 2020|
|Central: 74||Aurora: 54||Beta: 73||Release: 72.0|
- It's release day! Firefox 32 is live.
- Tracking for Fennec 32: bug 1060009 - Investigate native crash at /dev/ashmem/libmozalloc.so reported on Google Play
- Firefox ESR 24.8.0 and 31.1.0 are also live.
- This is the last release for ESR24. This means we're back to a single ESR31 train.
- Next up
- 33 beta1 is scheduled to ship on Thursday
- 34 aurora updates are scheduled to be re-enabled on Friday
- Reminder that the merge is happening today
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 5.01 (last week: 3.67).
- Lots of fallout from pre-uplift landings (B2G feature landings, MediaStreamGraph refactor, etc) along with more infra issues.
- Widespread Android 4.0 failures continue to be a problem - now being tracked in bug 1059797.
- 23 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- another week in the right direction :)
- Byron Campen fixed a truckload of memory leaks in WebRTC code. The LSAN suppressions file now has 23 fewer entries!
- David Major implemented the collection of (anonymized!) memory reports on OOM crashes, and the first such reports are trickling in. Hopefully this will give insight into causes of OOMs in the field.
- [Overall numbers] look OK for 32 beta and 31 release.
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
App Tools (prouget)
B2G Services (dougt)
This has been merged into Cloud Services.
Cloud Services (mmayo)
Developer Tools (robcee)
Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- If you'd like to test e10s in Nightly, flip the "browser.tabs.remote.autostart" pref to true and restart Nightly.
- Known issues likely to affect you: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/e10s-known-issues
- bug 903022 - "Save Link As" is fixed
- bug 1059032 - Tab dragging is fixed
- bug 1057966 - The Help menu is no longer blank
- HTTPS Everywhere add-on for e10s coming soon
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
Summary of Work In Progress
- You can see the status of the current iteration (35.1) in progress here
Summary of Recent Landings
- Team landed 50 bugs over the last week, to close out the 34.3 iteration.
- Details of landings from the past week can be seen here
Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)
Work In Progress
- Chromecast - continuing to bug fix based on nightly feedback
- WebRTC OpenGL on Roku, tab sharing support bug 1048425
- Experimenting with Bing as the default search engine - bug 1049108
- Remote Tabs home panel bug 1014994,first patches have landed
- Moz Stumbler should be landing in nightly this week.
- Tablet refresh: Continuing to progress
- Janus https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus
- Client connection speed assessment
You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]
Landings from the past week
- Add telemetry for Settings usage ( Bug 996753 )
- "Clear Private Data" does not clear "Recently closed tabs" from Recent Tabs ( Bug 1031273 )
- Auto complete pop up doesn't go away ( Bug 1037353 )
- Share overlay request backend: stage 1 ( Bug 1044794 )
- Tapping the branding logo in the browser widget opens a new tab ( Bug 1048545 )
- Crash in gfxContext::PushNewDT (OOM) with reproducible test-case (reddit.com) ( Bug 1053934 )
- crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: Not connected. Call connect() and wait for onConnected() to be called. at com.google.android.gms.internal.hc.ci(Unknown Source) ( Bug 1055012 )
- Flash doesn't work on Android L ( Bug 1055166 )
- crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast.verifySession(ChromeCast.java) ( Bug 1057866 )
- Specify main activity org.mozilla.fennec.App with a default intent over org.mozilla.search.MainActivity ( Bug 1058160 )
- Default search engine probe recording null instead of "other" ( Bug 1058352 )
- network error pages (about:neterror) have "XML Parsing Error: undefined entity" - due to Bug 1042196 ( Bug 1059096 )
- Don't set noHistory for onboarding activity ( Bug 1059440 )
- Regression: Thin pixel bar present next to the back button on tablets in the new toolbar ( Bug 1059450 )
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Connectivity (vchang)
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- Gonk team (led by Thomas Tsai)
- Team Summary
- Team Summary
- Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
- We have received many inputs about "Entering Bluetooth page then Settings app crashes", after investigation we found it's a regression of a Gaia change bug 1032071.
- bug 1060216 - BluetoothAdapter.discovering wouldn't be updated after calling startDisocovery or stopDisocovery - landed (1.4+)
- bug 1059136 - Expose Adapter Bluetooth Uuids field - landed (1.4+)
- bug 1060229 - Get/SetProperty DiscoveryTimeout failed due to missing property length - landed (1.4+)
- bug 1056413 - Pairing devices after cancelling results in unresponsive page - landed (2.0+)
- bug 929376 - Content process should be able to use API: BluetoothManager.IsConnected() - landed (2.1+)
- Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
- Device Storage (members: Alphan Chen, Eden Chuang)
- Eden Chuang, SW engineer onboard on 9/1, will join this group.
- The user story of MTP has been verified and closed. Thanks to Alphan and Dave Hylands.
- TPE QA Alison has started testing MTP on Flame and has filed several issues.
Firefox OS Media (slee)
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
Firefox OS Media Recording(pchang)
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS RIL (htsai)
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- Summary of 34 goals called out on 7/22, with status:
- Desktop plans for 34:
- Firefox OS plans for 34:
- bug 989403 transform: scale(X) not being repainted when assigned to - done
- bug 967844 support multi-layer APZ controllers - late landing (weekend work by N.Z., on inbound now), may need an uplift.
- bug 1016539 color related (b&w, invert, contrast) accessibility features - done, but Gaia work has not landed yet.
- Other active work not locked to 34:
- bug 996611 Skia for content everywhere (where everywhere excludes D2D) - we believe we have all the bug fixes we want, and the rest of the failing tests will be fuzzed.
- APZ on desktop - side project, ongoing.
- tiling on desktop - ongoing, week of 9/22 is the current target for landing "something".
- Compiler (JIT)
- bug 1059555: Found bug in js/src/SplayTree's implementation of |forEach|. Fixed and landed.
- bug 1057082: Landed generalize ProfilingFrameIterator and get it ready to support more frame types than just AsmJS frames.
- bug 1046585: Finished removing js/src/assembler
- bug 1056795: Optimized jit::ArrayPushDense
- Garbage Collection
- bug 995284: Made GC behvaiour deterministic in shell builds
- Front End and Other
- bug 967844 - (multi-layer-apz) Allow content from one scrollable element to fragment into multiple layers in order to fully support async scroll of out of flow content
- bug 1059033 - TiledDrawTarget has a lot of overhead for some operations
- bug 982338 - (osx-tiling) Use tiled thebes layers on OSX
- bug 1033114 - Implement playback control on AnimationPlayer
- Landed the major MediaStreamGraph refactor to be driven off the audio output callbacks (bug 848954)
- Resultant orange regression fixes about ready to land
- Etherpad tracking issues: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/msg-refactoring-tbpl
- Bunch of screen-sharing and openh264 improvements/tweaks landed
- Mac screenshare with multi-screen fixed
- Pref to allow screenshare on XP and 10.6
- Higher resolutions up to 1280x720@30 supported in OpenH264
- Resolution adaptation due to load and bandwidth available now enabled for H.264
- Major refactor of signaling code in webrtc (SIPCC) to tread-flatten it and remove dead or useless code
- Should improve call connection rates considerably (we were getting bogged down in MainThread in things like multi-party TokBox calls)
- No obvious significant regressions yet
- Plugged a bunch of leaks
- Turned off PeerConnection tests on B2G Debug emulator; it's too slow to be useful
- jgriffin hoping to move them to faster CPUs later this week; faster hardware if needed
- Lots of our patches not sticking to the tree :( but making progress.
- bug 286355, bug 1057466: Make it possible to unlock a profile in use by a hung Firefox on Windows
- bug 768802: Fixed issue causing Firefox window to lose focus every time Flash plugin processes is (re-)launched
- bug 998863: Patch for asynchronous initialization of Out-of-process Plugins almost ready. Informal presentation on September 3rd at 11am EST in the "Performance" Vidyo room
- bug 1045108: Forcefully setting the expiration version for Telemetry probes. Please claim your probes!
- bug 1055546: Automatize weekly Telemetry reports for all dashboards
- New addon telemetry dashboards:
- Aaron Klotz "Profile Unlocking in Firefox 34 for Windows": http://dblohm7.ca/blog/2014/08/21/profile-unlocking-in-firefox-34-for-windows/
- Aaron Klotz "Diffusion of Responsibility" about role of the Mozilla community in fixing bugs: http://dblohm7.ca/blog/2014/08/14/diffusion-of-responsibility/
- Roberto Vitillo "Dashboard Generator for Custom Telemetry Jobs" https://ravitillo.wordpress.com/2014/08/11/dasbhoard-generator-for-custom-telemetry-jobs/
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
10:58 KaiRo: cpeterson: no voice update from me this week, I filled in a readonly and am watching on airmo. 10:58 cpeterson: KaiRo: ok, thanks 10:59 Noah_: Mossop: for example, under Based on Gecko 33, Firefox OS 1.4 - I see the date text overlapping "Currently in BETA channel" 10:59 Noah_: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases#Based_on_Gecko_33 11:00 Noah_: and more overlapping on various sections underneath that :/ 11:02 cpeterson: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-09-02 11:03 KaiRo: isn't it always September on the Internet? 11:05 jorgev: heh 11:06 vladan: cpeterson: i have an update 11:11 jesup: The media Mac issue was MP4 native support IIRC 11:15 jesup: I think you jsut have to disable it for long enough to log in; see comments on Yammer and elsewhere 11:15 jesup: re: http2/spdy 11:16 jesup: milan_: ^ 11:16 KaiRo: yes, see http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2014/09/02/http2-interop-pains/ 11:16 milan_: jesup: yup, thanks - it worked 11:16 jesup: np 11:17 milan_: jesup: but now I forgot why I was trying to get to google docs :) 11:17 jesup: just as well