« previous week | index | next week »
Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-11-18 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Need To Know
- 2 Quality Programs
- 3 Team Stand-ups
- 3.1 A*Team (jgriffin)
- 3.2 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 3.3 B2G Services (dougt)
- 3.4 Cloud Services (mmayo)
- 3.5 Desktop Platform (bsmedberg)
- 3.6 Developer Services (gps/lthomson)
- 3.7 Developer Tools (prouget)
- 3.8 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 3.9 Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- 3.10 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 3.11 Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)
- 3.12 GFX (milan)
- 3.13 JS (naveed)
- 3.14 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 3.15 Media (mreavy)
- 3.16 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 3.17 Performance (vladan)
- 3.18 Seceng (dougt)
- 3.19 Shumway (tschneidereit)
- 3.20 WebAPI (overholt)
- 4 Roundtable
- 5 <Read only beyond this point>
Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
|Next Merge: November 28, 2014||Next Release: June 6, 2023|
|Central: 115||Aurora: 54||Beta: 114||Release: 113|
- As announced on dev-planning, Firefox 34 will take an extra week before release
- CHANGE IN RELEASE DATE: Dec 1/2, 2014
- CHANGE IN MERGE DATE: Fri, Nov 28, 2014
- No change to Firefox 35 release date
- Desktop 34 beta10 ships today
- Mobile 34 beta10 ships tomorrow
- FINAL BETA: Desktop/Mobile 34 beta11 gtb on Thursday
- Some release related work week sessions (e-mail lsblakk for details):
- Detecting issues earlier in the cycle
- Mitigation strategies for issues in field that don't require a point release (think blocklist)
- Release process/schedule discussion
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- We're doing well on criticals, not great otherwise.
areweslimyet.com (AWSY) is broken due to e10s landing. Bug 1100253 is tracking this. There's a big warning at the top of AWSY so that people don't freak out too much.
- Overall numbers look good again except for Nightly (and Android Aurora, which is coming back down after a MediaCodec fix).
- Nightly issues are mostly e10s and GFX.
- While there's some things we probably want to investigate, no firefighting needs on any channels above Nightly atm!
- Long-term crash rate graphs are now available for Nightly and Aurora in addition to Beta and Release
- Help needed: bug 1093683 (Yosemite crash when saving files) is rising across channels, needs investigation, if on Apple side, we may need to communicate with them.
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
--run-by-dir for mochitest-browser-chrome has landed! See bug 1057512. Three tests are currently disabled as a result, we're working on finding owners and fixing them:
- Eitan implemented bug 1069598 gesture quicknav (for Gaia)
- Trevor is ready for engineering help with our e10s a11y solution (will reach out)
- W3C land: possibility of element.getComputedRole is being discussed. Essentially this opens the door to accessibility-like DOM API. A downside is it will be a little too easy to instantiate our a11y engine (increases exploit attack surface), upsides include a11y innovation as well as a11y acid tests.
B2G Services (dougt)
Cloud Services (mmayo)
Desktop Platform (bsmedberg)
Developer Services (gps/lthomson)
Developer Tools (prouget)
Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- e10s is still enabled by default for Nightly users (except IME or a11y)
- bug 1089008 - Windows without gfx hardware acceleration will no longer automatically disable e10s
- bug 1066685 - Jetpack page-mod add-ons are now e10s compatible. This is big news for add-on compatibility.
- bug 980161 - Tracking Protection is now e10s compatible.
- bug 980161 - Shumway is now e10s compatible.
- bug 1047248 - Firebug version 3 (alpha) is now e10s compatible.
- bug 669200, bug 961361, bug 1098055 - Many plugin fixes for e10s compatibility.
- Screenshot of Gecko Profiler for e10s:
- We may disable e10s on Nightly a few days before the Aurora merge date.
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)
- Possible uplift of fixes (bug 1086693) and enabling MediaCodec backend on 34 now that we have some more time
- Desktop QA is maintaining a "Top 5" graphics bugs in Trello that we're using to prioritize bug fixing. Very convenient.
- (Still ) chasing some blacklisting opportunities, mostly on AMD now.
- CSS properties "object-fit" & "object-position" have landed (impl: bug 624647, pref-enabled: bug 1099450)
- Should be enabled in tomorrow's nightly, depending on inbound merge timing.
- Hello problems over the weekend caused by a Push server update
- Push team figuring out what went wrong and why an update they didn't intend got included
- Seems stable now.
- Fighting a 20fps max issue in B2G 2.1 (regression likely due to bug 848954)
- Looking to update media/webrtc/trunk either late in 36 or early 37 (more likely) with code shared with Chrome 40
- Major rewrite of webrtc signaling about to land
- Moving towards renegotiation and multiple streams
- Mac Support for MP4/h264/AAC switched off in beta and will not release in 34, expected to ship in 35. (bug 1068455 and bug 1070703)
- No update this week.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
- (lmandel) Less sheriff coverage this week. You may want to handle your own landings.
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)