Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-12-09 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Need To Know
- 2 Quality Programs
- 3 Team Stand-ups
- 3.1 A*Team (jgriffin)
- 3.2 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 3.3 B2G Services (dougt)
- 3.4 Cloud Services (mmayo)
- 3.5 Desktop Platform (bsmedberg)
- 3.6 Developer Services (gps/lthomson)
- 3.7 Developer Tools (prouget)
- 3.8 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 3.9 Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- 3.10 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 3.11 Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)
- 3.12 GFX (milan)
- 3.13 JS (naveed)
- 3.14 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 3.15 Media (mreavy)
- 3.16 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 3.17 Performance (vladan)
- 3.18 Seceng (dougt)
- 3.19 Shumway (tschneidereit)
- 3.20 WebAPI (overholt)
- 4 Roundtable
- 5 Links
Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
|Next Merge: December 14, 2020||Next Release: December 15, 2020|
|Central: 85||Aurora: 54||Beta: 84||Release: 83.0|
- Firefox 34.0.5 updates are enabled at 100% as of this morning
- We might need to do a mobile-only 34.0.1
- Firefox Beta 35.0b2 shipping today
- Fennec Beta 35.0b2 delayed go to build until Thursday
- We're still working on split apk for Gingerbread users, should have that in place in the next couple of weeks
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
<Read Only> No update.
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
B2G Services (dougt)
Cloud Services (mmayo)
Desktop Platform (bsmedberg)
Developer Services (gps/lthomson)
Developer Tools (prouget)
Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- Please help test e10s in Nightly!
- Known issues: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis#What_to_Expect
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)
- B2G: the follow up to 2.1 ("2.X") looks to be based on Gecko 37...
- Graphics plans are unchanged from 2.2 to 2.X
- Graphics plans were based on Gecko 38
- So... will likely keep the 38 time frame and uplift to B2G 37 branch past the trunk. Will figure it out by mid January when this becomes relevant.
- Work Week
- Shumway load time is highest priority
- 2015 Planning (more on this to come)
- Investigating bug 1107378 to fix webkit-dependent sites in China added to a mobile (fennec) fix-list.
- Landed bug 1089417 - restyling fixes for CSS media queries
- 1. What has your team done since last week that might impact others?
- Hello is in Release/34! Early reviews are generally good (and recognize the differences for privacy compared to say Skype).
- Landed sdparta! bug 1091242 - (rewrite of the majority of webrtc signaling, other than the parsing).
- Known regression bug 1109130 breaks < MSVC 2013 compiles; fix shortly
- Lots of great discussions at #mozlandia
- FoxEye presentation (echoes of roc's older MediaStream Processing proposal)
- Work moving forward towards multiple streams of a type and renegotiation
- 2. What will your team do this week that might impact others?
- Starting work towards a webrtc.org update
- More sdparta work
1. What has your team done since last week that might impact others?
- bug 1107779, bug 1107782: Avi found that the "activeTicks" FHR measurement significantly over-reports Firefox usage time, because Firefox fires "user-interaction-active" notifications while the mouse cursor is positioned over the browser even when the user is away from the computer
- Should we just land the fix, or is it important to maintain continuity with the current measurement (for monitoring for relative changes)?
- The above bugs are unrelated to the big drop in activeTicks reported in bug 1096498
- Talos numbers for most E10s tests are available
- we're still converting some tests, e.g. tresize
- there are serious regressions from E10S, e.g. WebGL is 4x worse on Windows
- Joel Maher said he'll write a blog post summarizing Talos regressions/improvements from E10S
- Spark is the new, much faster way of analyzing large amounts of Telemetry data:
2. What will your team do this week that might impact others?
- bug 998863: Almost ready to land asynchronous initialization of out-of-process plugins
3. Is anything slowing your team down or getting in their way?
- bug 998863: Need one more review for asynchronous initialization of out-of-process plugins
- As part of the FlashKill initiative, the Shumway team's Q1 goal is to whitelist Shumway for Facebook's Flash Video Player:
- Facebook test videos: https://www.facebook.com/gopro/videos
- Working with JS team on JS startup performance and Media team on video buffering.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
Touch input standardization update (mbrubeck)
- W3C Pointer Events going to Proposed Rec. Shipping in IE, portions shipping in Chrome, partially implemented in Gecko.
- Chrome and Safari have no plans to ship full Pointer Events implementation.
- Touch Events CG is actively discussing errata and extensions, about to start a weekly-ish telecon. Let me know if you want to get involved.
- Gecko/Touch has a breakdown of our implementation status and various missing pieces.
Friends of the Tree
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
- "Mastering Version Control at Mozilla" (Gregory Szorc)
- "How Microsoft Uses C++ to Deliver Office Across iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac" (CppCon 2014 video)
- "Emscripten and asm.js: C++'s role in the modern web" (CppCon 2014 video with Mozilla's own Alon Zakai)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhMlWj4tCDo (one hour)