Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2015-02-03 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Calendar links: iCal ics or Atom/XML feed
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- Join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- 1 Need To Know
- 2 Quality Programs
- 3 Team Stand-ups
- 3.1 A*Team (jgriffin)
- 3.2 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 3.3 B2G Services (dougt)
- 3.4 Cloud Services (mmayo)
- 3.5 Desktop Platform (bsmedberg)
- 3.6 Developer Services (gps/lthomson)
- 3.7 Developer Tools (prouget)
- 3.8 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 3.9 Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- 3.10 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 3.11 Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)
- 3.12 GFX (milan)
- 3.13 JS (naveed)
- 3.14 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 3.15 Media (mreavy)
- 3.16 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 3.17 Performance (vladan)
- 3.18 Seceng (dougt)
- 3.19 Shumway (tschneidereit)
- 4 Roundtable
- 5 Links
Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
|Next Merge: December 2, 2019||Next Release: December 3, 2019|
|Central: 72||Aurora: 54||Beta: 71||Release: 70.0|
- Firefox 36 Beta 6
- Desktop shipped today
- Mobile should ship shortly (today as well)
- Next Beta builds
- Desktop Beta 7 gtb Thursday
- Reviewing MSE status for 36 before gtb
- Mobile Beta 8 gtb Monday
- Desktop Beta 7 gtb Thursday
- Beta 36 stability is not in good shape - stability rate 2.8 and should be in the range 1.0-1.2
- Looks like primarily gfx bugs, may be related to MSE
- Aurora 37 stability is still not in good shape - stability index is 4.9 and should be < 2.0
- Update for OpenH264 1.3 is currently being tested on Beta, should move to release soon
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
- hg -> git replication of gecko is fixed now. post-mortem happening later this week.
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
<Read Only> No update.
- Overall crash rates still look bad everywhere else than desktop release.
- Esp. on Beta 36, but also Aurora 37, GFX and media/MSE crashes seem to be the highest issues, often coupled with low memory, also recently introduced shutdownhang crashes are quite high.
- Flash crashes and hangs are sharply down, probably due to sandbox changes along with some effect from MSE.
- Refer to today's channel meeting notes (once they are up on the wiki) for specific bug numbers.
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
B2G Services (dougt)
Cloud Services (mmayo)
Desktop Platform (bsmedberg)
Developer Services (gps/lthomson)
Developer Tools (prouget)
- Fetch landed recently (still behind pref)
- parts of Service Worker are landing
- Custom Elements (Web Components) still being figured out (https://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/CustomElements has info and pointers)
Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- Please help test e10s in Nightly!
- Known issues: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis#What_to_Expect
- We've reduced content-process crashes by 40%
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)
- Issues in Beta 36. WebGL, OOM, driver resets, unsupported combinations.
- Compiler (JIT)
- Asm.js/ARM64 now at 104 passing tests, 10 failing tests
- ImageLib regressions in FF 36 causing churn (eg. bug 1128188)
- Landing bug 1128225 should help get us more reliable tests to avoid this in the future.
- IntegerRange template API coming soon (bug 1126552 and others)
- RTL regressions getting fixed on trunk (bug 1121748.) Already backed out of B2G2.2 and Aurora.
- W3C CSS & SVG working groups meet next week in Sydney. Contact jet, dbaron, or heycam with spec issues to resolve.
- WebKit-compatibility Fennec builds will be available for testing this week (dholbert.)
1. What has your team done since last week that might impact others?
- Landed WebRTC multistream & MSID support (a big change)
- Landed webrtc_40 update (same codebase from upstream used by Chrome 40)
- Landed PeerConnection test refactor/cleanup (reduce oranges!)
- gcp has working video (getUserMidia) sandboxing code (patch on a bug)
- OpenH264 plugin 1.3 being tested on Beta, Aurora, Nightly (but not on local dev builds)
2. What will your team do this week that might impact others?
- Looking to land renegotiation RSN (going up for review ASAP)
- OpenH264 1.3 should go to release (independent update channel from Firefox)
3. Is anything slowing your team down or getting in their way?
- Lack of time-dilation to put more hours in a day
- Planning to enable Shumway whitelisted for IMDb and a couple other video sites.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
Friends of the Tree
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)