GFX Priorities Minutes
This meeting was scheduled to discuss priorities for the graphics team.
Note: Only had representation from perf (Taras). GFX team has a good idea of what to do next on mobile. Need to follow up with Andreas Gal/Chris Jones for B2G.
- plugins drawing completely off main thread
- plugins post frames directly to compositor
- path for core animations misses all optimizations as it's basic, mostly an OSX issue
- can add intermediate step but would prefer to do it right from the start
- can work on stabilizing OSX and Linux while starting Windows work
- refactoring layers would push out OMTC weeks to months but give us better code
- composition and validation should be broken up
- this work will make Firefox faster when done
- [action] Joe will draw up omtc roadmap with milestones, should be ready next week
- Can we get OMT throbber and CSS animations by the end of the year?
- maybe on central by then but qualified to a specific backend
- will be cheaper to work on one platform at a time
- expecting portability concerns for individual features across backends in order to keep all of the fast paths
- don't know how long the layout side of css animations will take
- BenWa has seen talk about async canvas, not a viable option
- BenWa suggests getting better profiling data on janks to get short term solutions
- Bas has a plan to fix some of this
- borders in chrome, why no use images?
- borders also used heavily in sites like google so fixing in chrome doesn't really fix the problem, front-end team also resistant
- Bas can turn on azure in two weeks for direct2d
- still don't retain gradients