QA/Newtab page Tiles/Test Plan
|Feature||Release||Dev Lead||QA Lead||QA Status|
|New Tab Page Tile Grid||Firefox 33||Ed Lee||Cornel Ionce||N/A|
- The new grid will be with a gutter around each tile will be displayed in about:newtab page. If there is not enough space for the fixed size tile and it's gutters, rows and/or columns are removed from the grid.
- In the Tile Grid, there will be Top Sites tiles (based on user frequency), but also Sponsored or Partner tiles.
- Tracking bug: 975208 - Specify layout of Tile Grid (resize vs more/fewer rows/columns, screen sizes, etc)
- Detailed information about the first specifications: implementation mock-up
- Latest UI mock-up
- About sponsored tiles - Mozilla support
- This feature is available under Windows, Linux and Mac OS X platforms.
- It can be found by simply navigating to about:newtab or opening a new tab.
Examples of things to watch for
- UI Glitches - make sure there are no tile misplacement, no cut-off rows displayed etc.
- Performance issues - there should be no lags/hangs while moving/deleting/pinning tiles
- Duplicate tiles - there shouldn't be more than one tile displayed for the same website (eg. Google - a single tile is displayed even if several searches were made)
One and Done tasks
- browser.newtabpage.rows this pref contains the number of rows displayed
- default value is set to 3
- browser.newtabpage.columns this pref contains the number of columns displayed
- default value is set to 5
- Note: The number of rows/columns from about:config may be different than the number of displayed ones. This is due to the fact that the browser will only display as many rows/columns as the display can properly fit, without displaying cut-off ones.
- default value is set to 5
- browser.newtabpage.enabled will allow the user to enable/disable the newtab page tile grid.
The most important bugs, Unconfirmed and Opened ones are listed below.
- 1055261 - Reduce new tab performance impact by only attempting to show 5 columns (from 8)
- 1042214 - Send detailed view ping of shown tiles
- 1040369 - Replace sponsored icon with identifying text with overlay description
- 1042876 - Update newtab endpoints to new v1/links
- 1045751 - Shrink tile (pin/block/gear) button sizes by a little bit positioning of undo box
- 1026561 - The New Tab Page should be smarter about showing more tiles when on large screens
- 1044602 - about:newtab tiles look different than anything else in the browser
- 1045769 - Adjust new tab whitespace: whitespace sizing
- 1046693 - Gear on new tab page blurry
- 1048137 - Page title color is poor contrast in New Tab Page
- 1048148 - Reduce rounded corners and glow on tiles
- 990322 - [New Tab Page] Don't show multiple thumbnails from the same eTLD+1
- 1010628 - Implement de-duping/merging multiple link providers for Directory Tiles
- 975210 - Augment Site._render logic to allow for Sponsored Tiles images & text
- 975228 - Create logic to merge frecency-pages and Tiles (Tile equiv 1000 frecency)
- 976638 - New tab controls.png should be the same across platforms
- 980014 - Allow new tab grid layout to reduce rows/columns if the window can't fit 3x3
- 991210 - [new tab page] Tiles are sometimes arranged all in a single line (wrapping as appropriate, e.g. to two lines with 5 items and then 4 items), instead of 3x3 grid
- 991542 - Odd shadowing around newtab's sponsored panel
- 994185 - When dragging tiles on a 3x2 view, a third row of tiles shows up inexplicably
- 974736 - Add icon to title bar of Sponsored Tiles
- Unconfirmed bugs - bugzilla query for unconfirmed bugs that were triaged and marked as associated to the feature
- Open bugs - a bugzilla query for new and assigned bugs associated to the feature