Releases/Firefox 3.0.8/Test Plan:Software Update
3.0.8 Software Updates
Testing Partial, Complete, and Fallback Updates
To test partial, complete, and fallback updates:
- Partial: This refers to testing an update from the immediate last release, in this case going from 3.0.7 to 3.0.8.
- Complete: This is applicable for users updating from 3.0.6 to 3.0.8. It also appears if a partial update fails.
- Fallback: For this you first get whatever update the usual way, but you don't apply it. Then you test that it can get fetch another copy of the update if something were to go wrong. You do this by:
- Checking for updates. Choose to apply later. Close application.
- Then go the C:\Documents and Setting\<user profile>\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Mozilla Firefox\updates\0\ folder, in WinXP for instance. Inside you will find a file called 'update.status'.
- If you are in Vista the update.status file will be in ...AppData/Local/Mozilla Firefox (or thunderbird)/updates/0/
- Open it with a text editor and replace the string from pending to 'failed'. Restar the app and make sure you get another copy of the update.