Reps/Mozilla Festival 2014
- 1 Announcement
- 2 Participants
- 3 Schedule
- 4 Logistics
- 5 Sessions
- 5.1 Blogs
- 5.2 What's the role and expectation of Reps at Mozfest?
- 5.3 What's the timeframe?
- 5.4 What is MozFest?
- 5.5 How does MozFest tie into Mozilla's products and mission?
- 5.6 What's it like?
- 5.7 Who pays for travel?
- 5.8 What if I don't get sponsored in Festival?
- 5.9 When and where?
- 5.10 FAQ
The Mozilla Festival (#MozFest) is an annual gathering of unconventional thinkers and inventors from around the world who meet to learn from each other and help forge the future of the web. It takes place from Oct. 24 - 26, 2014 in London, UK.
Mozilla Reps are passionate people around the world who are spreading the word of Mozilla and generally the word the Open Web. As you already know Mozilla Reps is one of the driving forces of Mozilla. And Reps, especially those deeply involved in Mozilla's Webmaker initiative, are going to be a driving force in this year's Mozilla Festival as well.
Anyone is eligible to participate in the Mozilla Festival. You can register right now here: https://sendto.mozilla.org/page/contribute/mozilla-festival-2014-registration However, we know that it's expensive to travel to London on your own.
That's why the Reps program is offering travel stipends for Reps who have skills and experience beneficial to the Webmaker project.
See the full list of participants here.
See the full schedule of the event.
Stay informed about all the practicalities.
Important details about sessions and tracks.
- Mozilla Festival 2014 by Umesh Agarwal
- MozFest 2014 days 0, 1 & MozFest 2014, day 2 by Soledad Penadés
- My First Participation on Mozilla Festival by Manel Rhaiem
- Behind the Scenes of Mozfest by Robert Sayles
- A Free Agent at MozFest 2014 by Andre Gariza
- MozFest 2014: what a year! by Rosana Ardila
What's the role and expectation of Reps at Mozfest?
Beside the regular roles of Reps to represent Mozilla and to empower people in order to be contributors in Mozilla's projects this year will have several roles:
- Organizing team
- Facilitate a session
- based on their expertise, to lead some sessions in Mozfest
- choosing this role doesn't imply your session is automatically approved - you need to go the whole process - submit session, the organizers will review it and tell you the final status
- Help people use and contribute to FFos (mobile)
- participate in sessions/ workshops/ booth related to Firefox OS
- Teaching Community Building
- we will have a special space for teaching community building where we can have community building sessions every 40 minutes. In front of space we can have a booth with experienced Reps presenting successful stories on Community building
- this role will imply to have community building experience, be able to share some case study of community building, documenting or teaching it - community building trainer
- Supporting the Space wrangler (program volunteers)
- this role requires prep work (e.g. calls with facilitators)
- Writing and testing teaching kits
And never the less have an awesome experience which will provide them a lot of useful information for their community and their future events.
What's the timeframe?
- You can submit your application through the designed form between Aug.15th - Aug 25th.
- The council will review the applications between Aug. 26th and Sept. 1st.
- Results will be sent out on September 2nd.
Reps should plan on arriving in London by Thursday, October 23 and departing on Monday, October 27.
What is MozFest?
It's our annual 3-day festival where many of our best ideas about creativity, learning and the web spring to life. It celebrates our mission and brings new people into our community.
MozFest is open to everyone. ~300 Mozillians attend MozFest each year out of 1500 total participants.
How does MozFest tie into Mozilla's products and mission?
The MozFest program is designed around themes that intersect with the web but are not exclusively linked with our community or our products. This means MozFest is a great opportunity to open our mission to new groups, to offer support for their ideas and to learn from and be inspired by them. Plus, a lot of very cool independent coders, bloggers and journalists tend to be there.
What's it like?
MozFest is unlike any other tech conference you've been to because it's all about hands-on participation and collaboration. There will be some fabulous keynote speakers, but the majority of the event takes place through interactive workshops. Think: less yack, more hack.
Who pays for travel?
The Reps program is offering travel stipends for selected Mozilla Reps. Please apply! here Also, anyone who runs a MozFest session is also eligible for a travel stipends. Propose a session here. http://sessions.mozillafestival.org/
What if I don't get sponsored in Festival?
Not getting sponsored doesn't mean that you cannot attend Mozilla Festival. Mozilla Festival is going to have a lot and interesting sessions about creativity, learning and the web spring to life where you can propose and run a session on your own. Simply follow the link: http://sessions.mozillafestival.org/ If you finally attend the Festival, your experience as a Rep is something we need and you are more than welcomed to join the awesome team of Mozfest Reps.
When and where?
MozFest 2014 will be held from October 24-26 in London, England. The festival will be hosted at Ravensbourne, a wired media and design campus located in East London next to the O2 concert arena (the same location as last year and we're delighted to be heading back). See transportation information and recommended hotels: http://mozillafestival.org/location
An FAQ has been published on the selection process. Read more...
- What's the deadline to submit the application?
- The deadline for Reps application is Aug 25th 2014
- The deadline for submitting a session on mozillafestival.org is Aug. 22nd
- If I submit a session via the website, do I need to select "Facilitate a session" on the form?
- Yes you have you to select that you are interested in facilitating / you have submitted a session in Mozfest