From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


  • Who's taking minutes? -> Ratty

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.


  • "New bugzilla components action item" should be raised at MailNews/TB meeting for the bits still outstanding. In bug 471534 we still need Feed Handling for SeaMonkey; all the various MailNews core additions and moves; plus OS Integration for TB and Calendar. [KaiRo]
  • Create new bugzilla component for Feed Handling (detection/preview). [Ratty]
    • Suggestion: "Feed Discovery and Preview" | "Bugs in SeaMonkey's discovery of feeds and inline preview" | feed.handling@seamonkey.bugs
  • The Session Restore component has "session.restore@seamonkey.bugs.bugs" as the QA contact. We need to file a bug to get this fixed. [Ratty]



  • Find a volunteer to drive the Modern theme updates into the tree. [KaiRo]
    • Posted about it on my blog, a guy contacted me and started to post patches, stuff needs more work though.
  • Make sure a bug is filed to create the UI for the mail archiving function available in the backend. [IanN]
  • Create new bugzilla components (to match Firefox and Thunderbird): [Ratty]
    • "Session Restore". Yes.
    • Tabs and Toolbars. KIV for the time being.
    • Note: Meta bug is bug 471534.

SeaMonkey 2 Beta 1

Bug Queries

open blockers all blockers blocker requests

  • SeaMonkey developers will need to nominate bugs that they think should be considered for blocking Beta 1.
  • Target/freeze dates? Sync with Thunderbird 3.0 beta 3 again?
    • Firefox 3.5b4 has a code freeze on April 6th and planned release on April 14th; Thunderbird 3.0b3 has strict freeze on April 28th, target ship date on May 5th.
    • The download manager and tabmail are the biggest things we're missing so far.
    • Tabmail is a perquisite for Lightning which we would like to support.
    • We will target to sync with Thunderbird at the moment and revisit this next meeting.

Longer-Term SeaMonkey 2 Planning

open wanted wanted requests

Major wanted/needed features:

  • bug 381157 Download manager backend.
    • Addressing review comments, fixed up a few local bugs.
    • Callek's a patch allowed testing and we uncovered a few surrounding issues, like import of download.rdf not working or toolkit tests failing, some parts of which have been fixed now (thanks to mcsmurf for the import patch).
    • KaiRo working on progress dialog UI in bug 483241.
  • bug 472001 UI for download manager.
    • Did some testing of the UI with Callek's backend patch, looks good so far. Need to do some testing on Modern and need to port tests from toolkit.
    • Also did some work on the rewrite and redesign of progress windows, see bug 483241
  • Toolbar customization:
    • bug 413385 MailNews.
      • Started work on this bug. Started a thread in regarding some UI design issues that I needed feedback on.
    • Filed a UI bug 481862 to get suitable images for small icon mode in MailNews.
    • Did some work in bug 464653 to fine-tune the customize context menu item.
    • Plans on other components?
      • None at the moment. Volunteers welcome.
      • Customizable Composer toolbars would save us a whole pref panel.
  • bug 456757 Modern theme update.
    • Some patches posted, needs more work to not revert recent Modern changes.
  • bug 460699 Make the default theme look better on mac.
    • stefanh made some progress. First WIP patch posted.
  • bug 410613 OpenSearch. helpwanted.
    • We need to check if OpenSearch can support all our existing functionality, for example the INTEPRETS section in Sherlock search plugins. Mnyromyr will check on that, and on how extensible the Firefox code is.
  • bug 460953 Port jminta's kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable.
    • Waiting for review. But there isn't any urgent need for progress on this as long as we don't break. It might be good for extensions if we to convert our folder pane to be JS-driven e.g. calendar wants to put items there.
  • bug 415372 Implement Feed Preview.
    • Review received. A new patch is expected soon (but still depending on the feed shell service).
    • asrail talked to the Firefox people about the use of sandboxes.
    • Expected to be in time for Beta 1.
    • Follow up issue: We still need to find some solution for internally subscribing when no feed account is there yet. We could probably magically create an account with default settings since we don't have much stuff in feed account settings.
    • bug 471346 (Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service).
      • Waiting for review.
  • bug 460960 Port Thunderbird tabbed interface to MailNews.
    • The next disentangle patch should probably come today.
    • Then tabmail comes after that, but isn't really blocked by it.
    • Note: tabmail will break TB without some forking which is part of the disentanglement.
  • bug 348720 New icon set for "SeaMonkey Default Theme".
    • MReimer says that he will be finishing this up soon.
  • bug 465504 Include an identity indicator in primary chrome (EV certificate UI).
    • status/progress?
    • We should have the Larry icon in the urlbar, with a tooltip with the certificate name and "verified by". Clicking on this should open the security tab on page info. Here we should include the icons Firefox has in its larry popup. In addition, the certificate name should be in the status bar with the lock icon.


Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).



  • Feed Preview (bug 415372) is waiting for review from Neil.



  • Reviewed/discussed some changes.
  • Ported a security bug to SeaMonkey, and backported to TB and SM 1.8.1 (waiting on approval to land)
  • Iterating my DLMGR work.


  • bug 471932 Do some tidy up/fixing of feed subscription and related code - fixes lots of issues with the new shared code - patch has landed!
  • Usual reviewing and commenting.
  • Continued work on looking at TNEF attachments.


  • Prepared and released SeaMonkey 1.1.15
  • Lots of work surrounding Callek's download manager patch, e.g. fallout problems, progress dialogs, testing
  • Discussed performance/benchmark degradation due to JS debugging functionality
  • Released EarlyBlue and LCARStrek themes for SeaMonkey 2.0a3
  • Worked on porting some tests from Firefox to SeaMonkey (bug 484187 and bug 484188), which uncovered some issues that are filed and tracked (partly already fixed) now, or fixed along with the ports. See the bugs and their dependencies.
  • Filed GSoC proposals for porting Weave to SeaMonkey and increasing test coverage
  • Prepared build system and FF/TB->SM2 add-on porting talks for MAOW Berlin
  • As always, my blog has more detailed status about my work.


  • Fixed bug 483054 downloads.rdf import requires DateEnded but xpfe files don't have it, needed for importing downloads.rdf to the toolkit/ DM file format (sqlite).
  • Found a new import bug (related to Places) bug 484175 History Import from SeaMonkey 1.1.x is not working, have no good idea yet why this is broken (see bug for more details).
  • Waiting for review on bug 467249 Modify folderWidgets.xml to be able to XBLify the Go menu in MailNews, found&fixed some Thunderbird bug while creating a new patch for this bug.
  • Waiting for review on bug 471346 Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service.






  • Bugs fixed:
    • bug 478575 system background colors not applied to tab preview for a new tab still loading.
    • bug 482291 Implement getBrowserAtIndex() and getBrowserIndexForDocument().
  • Currently working on bugs:
    • bug 435652 Scrollbars become hidden/disappear when the window gets smaller/shrinks (but not too small). But blocked by Core bug 482955 landing on 1.9.1.
    • bug 479992 Better fix for the "Halo"/Extended border around buttons on modern theme. But blocked by Core bug 456219 landing on 1.9.1.
    • bug 413385 Implement Customizable Toolbars in SeaMonkey MailNews. Started work. Posted request for feedback on UI design issues in
    • Bug triage.
    • Mozillazine discussions and agitprop.


  • Fixed (or in-progress) SeaMonkey bugs:
    • bug 482686 comm-central should pull Venkman from hg rather than CVS.
    • bug 482768 xpcshell tests broken on trunk due to mozilla-central changes.
  • Fixed Core/... (but SM related) bugs:
    • bug 479978 remove references to MOZ_PROFILE from the build system.
  • And working on other areas... like:
    • infrastructure to run tests.
    • filing bugs for leaks in (TUnit and Reftest) tests.
    • doing an (experimental) Windows mozilla-central SeaMonkey build, reporting to bug 470184 issue tracking; hoping for bug 464325 new tinderboxes.




Any other business?

  • KaiRo: "Reward the SeaMonkey devs" idea - list ways how people can reward individual SeaMonkey devs for the work they are doing.
  • Google Summer of Code.
    • Google Page.
    • Brainstorming page.
    • Projects with confirmed mentors.
    • KaiRo and Mnyromyr have posted proposals.
    • Please add your suggestions to the brainstorming page, doesn't matter if you don't want to be a mentor, ideas are the important part at this stage. Remember it needs to be about an 8-week chunk of work.
    • Students started discussing ideas on 18th March, and start applying on 23rd March.
  • DST: Can we keep the time of the meeting to 1300 UTC even though the next meeting will be after the start of DST in Europe? Ratty.
    • No interest expressed in shifting the time of the meeting to 1300 UTC.