From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


  • Who's taking minutes? -> Ratty
  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank?
    • Please note A person or entity can't be nominated twice in a row.
    • therube for sterling work supporting users in the Mozillazine support forums.
    • rsx11m for his patches to make View Zoom work better.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.



  • More people need to help out with taking of the meeting notes. Ratty to send an email to SeaMonkey-members list summarizing what needs doing and asking for people to share duties. Still TODO, somehow this fell between the cracks.
  • We should find a better way of getting nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • We could put out a call for nominations the week before then, at the time of the meeting notice going out we could include any nominations (We need to come up with a quick FAQ as to what merits a nomination). IanN has put out an email to the members list. InvisibleSmiley came up with some sensible suggestions.
    • We need to advertise such a thing happens even if it is only in the meeting notice.


  • IanN to triage the 2.2-tracking bugs, and move as needed to the appropriate target version.


  • Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. We can still only wait on the Google front right now. Didn't hear anything about open Geolocation service yet. No easy solution in sight.

Release Train

  • For comm-aurora, we also should regard strings there as much frozen as possible. In the future, string freeze is the uplift from central to aurora, which matches Firefox.
  • If we have any actual fixes that don't need L10n changes (not enhancements) on central but not beta, they should go there if possible.
  • Bug authors and/or reviewers should request relevant approvals for comm-aurora/beta when necessary.
  • Callek is working on getting comm-aurora and comm-beta on MXR (bug 653424).
  • First beta of 2.3 is due out shortly and then we'll have about 3 weeks to release. Target release date is 16th August.

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

  • Addon Compatibility Listings created and maintained by InvisibleSmiley.
    • InvisibleSmiley moved Dictionary Switcher to "AMO", removed "under review" from MailNews Status Icons; moved FireFTP and Copy URL + to "External Sources", added IE Tab + and Scriptish to "AMO"
    • DERoss added Signature Switch to "Needs Addition to install.rdf"
    • Various other updates over the past two weeks, including Greasemonkey (from xsidebar site) marked as working.
  • AMO has a compatible version of Engimail now, and an experimental one for Lightning. Unfortunately these two Calendar extensions must be sought under Thunderbird and "All versions".
  • Besides Lightning, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.1.
  • InvisibleSmiley created a 2.1 FAQ Wiki page. Everybody please help update it.
    • The FAQ should be version-agnostic and have version updates mentioned in it so Jens or whoever won't need to keep changing the version numbers.
  • KaiRo created a SeaMonkey Features page and sub-pages for all those that are in development.
  • The whole FAQ/AddonCompat information needs to be re-thought with versions in mind but InvisibleSmiley lacks the time to do it. It's a wiki so we can try to offload it. Ratty suggests involving imput from seamonkey-members and/or

SeaMonkey 2.2

open tracking (2) tracking requests (0) targeted (0) fixed (36)

  • SeaMonkey 2.2 was released on 8th July 2011, based on Gecko/Mozilla 5.0 and Available in 21 languages, for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
  • The New 2.2 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.
  • AUS updates from (2.0 -> 2.2 and 2.1 -> 2.2):
    • 2.1->2.2 is a minor update and should be online as automatic already.
    • 2.0->2.2 is a major update (MU) and is online now, too.
  • 2.2 had ~43300 ADU yesterday, 112457 downloads so far.
    • vs. 63682 on 2.0 (and 4437 on 2.1) so about 20k have migrated from 2.0 to 2.2 in the last week.
  • The release notes should also mention (or provide a link to) any fixed security issues in order to support our mantra that you need to install updates to stay secure.

Follow-ups and Issues

  • Lost Bookmarks bug 673474 and Cookies bug 673672 on auto-update from 2.0.14 to 2.2.
    • Bookmarks can be re-imported from bookmarks.html.
  • A XUL Core bug causing symptoms like:
    • bug 671192 Command "Paste without Formatting" in message window is missing.
    • bug 672258 Wrong context menu can be shown if two different windowtypes have the same contextmenu id and xul cache is enabled.
    • IanN is testing out a workaround suggested by Neil for the context menu issue, the core bug is still there though, but only we seem to be exposing it at the moment.
  • Regression in Addressbook (bug 671251 Cannot drag & drop contacts to another address book) [fixed].
  • Regressions in the Mail Advanced Search Window (bug 671605 Search window does not allow to open second message from result list) [fixed].
  • Users are unhappy about various UX and usability issues with the new Data Manager.
    • Ratty proposes that until all the major pain points are addressed, links to the old individual managers be established (probably from the various Data Manager panes).
  • [InvisibleSmiley] We need to try harder to fix regressions ASAP. I feel there is still too much delay. IMO regressions from the last stable version need to be addressed with top priority, especially in light of the rapid release train.

SeaMonkey 2.3

open tracking (6) tracking requests (3) targeted (1) fixed (14)

  • SeaMonkey 2.3 Beta 1 will probably be released tomorrow Wednesday 27th July.
  • The release date for 2.3 final is still about 16th August.

Several breakages (AB, opening MailNews search results) have only been fixed after 2.3b1 was tagged. Should we respin?

  • [Kairo] I'm against a respin, that's what a b2 is for and we'll need one anyhow.
  • [IanN] My preference is that the b1 release notice, mentions the known issues.

Further 2.x scheduling

  • Current release notes are for 2.2. Once we have 2.3 or later, relnotes need to be updated.
  • Please help updating the New 2.3 Features page as we go.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 56 new, 33 fixed, 19 triaged.

  • New bugs seem to be outstripping fixed/triaged but still a good amount of triaging going on.
  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!

Open reviews/flags: 34 review 12 super-review 0 ui-review 8 feedback

Major wanted/needed features:


  • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].
    • Progressing slowly, still waiting on reviews from TB side. Full customization has to go to (currently 2.5 but will probably be pushed back further) as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.
  • de-RDF bug 654864 has been finished and landed on all development branches, including comm-beta (2.3). Still to do:
    • Neil wanted to follow up on some listener issues
    • for the selection issue, see what the TB guys come up with in bug 669203

Needing help, Unowned, Stalled

  • Kill-RDF:
    • bug 657607 Port jminta's kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable Part 2 [meta].
    • bug 657604 Remove the RDF global object.
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Gecko 2.0) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze is currently busy with his new job so doesn't have any to spend on this.
    • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That's something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
  • bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 - Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.
    • The rest is unowned so far.
  • bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
    • Note: Our location bar history doesn't and can't use autocomplete at all.
  • bug 515734 Individual SeaMonkey components are not properly handled by the Windows 7 taskbar.
  • bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address
    • Note: The actual task here is to port bug 45715 "Reply to List" [button/(context) menu item]

Roundtable - Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).





  • SeaMonkey 2.3 Beta 1.


  • bug 647107 snippet details URL is not secure, can spoof major updates.
  • bug 660745 [SeaMonkey] Install "June 2010 or newer" DirectX SDK.
  • bug 668724 bug 654152 broke the ability of all-locales to be read without specifying an path on web.
  • bug 668744 Update from 2.0 leaves behind some files in some locales.
  • bug 672100 [lightning] comm-miramar nightly builds should be labeled 1.0b5 or 1.0b5pre instead of 1.0b4pre
  • bug 672441 Perform checkdisk and check results from VM.
  • bug 672640 [lt] SeaMonkey 2.0 ? 2.2 Major upgrade billboard l10n (Patch by Rimas Kudelis).
  • bug 673559 Make comm-central support the June 2010 DirectX SDK

Working on:

  • bug 653424 need to add comm-2.0 and releases/comm-{aurora,beta} to MXR.



  • Fixed:
    • bug 512378 - Port |Bug 506985 - remove java-specific preferences from Firefox UI, hidden prefs| to SeaMonkey 2.1
    • bug 513895 - Audit preference panes for duplicate stylesheets
    • bug 537153 - message-id context lacks accesskeys
    • bug 599731 - Move "Recently Closed" menus to Go menu
    • bug 621042 - Advanced Account Settings should mention account name
    • bug 633935 - Port |Bug 237376 - Put 'reply to newsgroup' on top| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 635179 - Expose browser.zoom.siteSpecific to preferences GUI
    • bug 668723 - Update for bug 643816
    • bug 670652 - Audit preference stylesheets for duplicate stylesheets.
    • bug 672101 - Add browser.zoom.siteSpecific pref to help.
  • Checkin-needed:
  • Needs Review:
    • bug 670561 - show profile path in profile manager.
  • Working On:
    • bug 78357 - Account wizard doesn't have place to enter port info
    • bug 102275 - Number untitled pages.
    • bug 670513 - Recently Closed Windows/tabs have been moved to the Go menu. Document this.
  • Investigating:
    • bug 13818 - Ability to change the "quoteline"
    • bug 16717 - Disable source folder in Move/Copy/File menus
    • bug 39113 - Show current profile name in preferences (backed out)
    • bug 513900 - executable permissions for data files (port bug 461322 to SeaMonkey)
    • bug 527173 - Spellchecker settings are in the Mail section but the SP is used by all components
    • bug 620324 - Selected multiple mail folders to move, but only one folder gets moved
  • BackBurner:
    • bug 649952 - Port |Bug 609824 - Re-add Bloglines to the feed reader options| to SeaMonkey


  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
  • Fixed:
    • bug 670750 Move appropriate entites from navigator.dtd to navigatorOverlay.dtd which are only used in navigatorOverlay.xul
    • bug 670749 Have individual methods for cookie/image/popup menus in navigatorOverlay
    • bug 671572 Switch suite to use Services.prompt
    • bug 672528 Switch suite to use Services.strings
    • bug 670948 Missed gLocSvc.pwd in dataman.xml
    • bug 672777 Bump DOM Inspector compatibility for SeaMonkey 2.5
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js
    • bug 671554 Switch suite/mailnews to use Services.prompt
    • bug 672772 Bump Chatzilla compatibility for SeaMonkey 2.5 / Firefox 8.0
    • bug 672774 Bump Venkman compatibility for SeaMonkey 2.5 / Firefox 8.0 / Thunderbird 8.0
    • bug 673726 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.3 (comm-beta)
    • bug 673730 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.4/Thunderbird 7.0 (comm-aurora)
  • Waiting for additional review on:
    • bug 657161 Make use of contentAreaContext in Composer
  • Working on:
    • bug 550484 Hardcoded widths for pref-proxies-advanced and pref-languages.add dialogs
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.
    • Prefs-in-a-tab.


  • Fixed:
    • bug 654864 Suite changes from |bug 422845 - Replace rdf-driven addressbook directory tree with js one|


  • After quite some discussions, did a patch for support of bare IPv6 addresses in Data Manager (bug 665826) with some additions that also fixes potentially different but similar problems (like bug 635783). I hope this can even still land for SeaMonkey 2.3 in the current beta cycle.
  • I also worked on website storage support (bug 588415), but I didn't get around yet to finish a good test for that, so people still need to wait for an official patch and add-on update.
  • Discussed and somewhat-reviewed rsx11m's great work on more flexible page zoom levels (bug 621823). Nice to see other people now fixing those corners where I had to take shortcuts in heavy-lifting porting work I did for SeaMonkey.
  • Represented Mozilla at the SotM-EU conference
  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my activities, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps - both including my non-SeaMonkey Mozilla work as well.



Fixed couple of bugs on trunk, keeping it in sync with FF:

Supporting Seamonkey russian user community.


Fixed bug 671605 Search window does not allow to open second message from result list.




  • bug 541313 Changing image size using Custom Size changes the image but does not display the new height and width correctly -- H and W always equal the Actual Size.
  • bug 671441 Detect whether the crtdll.obj hack is necessary (Core).
  • bug 673717 Live bookmarks don't update automatically.

Working on:

  • bug 611503 Constructing an nsTDependentString from an nsTAString makes no sense (Core).
  • bug 667962 jemalloc in 2010 doesn't work on gmake (Core).
  • bug 673197 Enable jemalloc on VC8/9 express (Core).



  • bug 666246 Accidentally dragging a single tab moves it to the right edge of the tab bar.
  • bug 673877 Increase performance of Win7 JumpList favorites queries.

Waiting for review.

  • bug 663343 The "List all Tabs" menu should visually identify which tabs are on-screen (rather than scrolled off).



  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.


Fixed bug 670337 Translate update page for SeaMonkey 2.0.x -> 2.2.




  • bug 670532 [Mac] When a download starts, default to open download manager (like other OS).

Working on:

  • bug 553992 No focus rings for buttons in download manager, places window and the update dialog (Toolkit).
  • bug 650642 [Pinstripe] Make the filterdialog and the advanced search dialogs look better (Thunderbird).

Any other business?

[Ratty] How are we going to deal with e10s? I see stuff starting to land in mozilla/browser/ (preffed off).

  • [InvisibleSmiley] given that Neil doesn't like ifdefs we'd probably have to hold off until something lands for good (preffed on).
  • [Ratty] Do we have a plan going forward. Or are we just going to wing it on a prayer?
  • [IanN] I think it would have to be discussed with TB crowd.
  • In theory, any UI/widget changes will impact both us and TB but only if that UI needs to communicate with a website that sits in a content process. On the browser side, that's a lot, on the mailnews side, not so much.
  • [IanN] Well I'm hoping Neil will have a good grasp of it (or at least better than me).