SeaMonkey Meeting Details
- Time: 10 June, 2014, 12:00 UTC
- (8am Eastern, 1pm UK, 2pm Central Europe, 8pm Hong Kong)
- Location: #seamonkey IRC channel
- Further Read: Basics
- 1 Agenda
- 1.1 Action Items
- 1.2 Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- 1.3 Release Train
- 1.4 Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking
- 1.5 2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- 1.6 Bugs: Low Hanging Fruit
- 1.7 Feature List, Planning
- 1.8 Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
- 1.9 Any other business?
- Who's taking minutes? -> mcsmurf
- Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
- Lemon Juice for creating the addon converter at http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/
(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.
- http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/seamonkey/ has not been updated since November 2012, the last version listed is 2.14 (bug 956561); move blog to blog.mozilla.org if possible Assigned: mcsmurf.
- bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager
- mcsmurf will look into this
Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- Callek has been working on migrating our Linux builders to CentOS 6 bug 795354. Puppetmaster has been updated. Ewong is able to login to these hosts and buildbot is installed. We still need to get everything setup for parity and do some slight tweaks to the puppet config, but we're pretty close to useable.
- the 2.27 release was scheduled for June 10, but will have to be skipped.
- instead, a 2.26.1 release is planned for June 14 (bug 1018509)
- the 2.27 release was scheduled for June 10, but will have to be skipped.
- bug 983536 libpango version >= 1.22.0 required on Linux.
- bug 977676 SeaMonkey's puppet broken due to requirement of ffxbld ldap password.
- bug 1008596 wrong extension branches are used on aurora, patch is ready
- Python has been updated on all buildboxen!
- We are perma-orange on comm-central, comm-aurora and comm-beta due to problems with tests
- Windows en-US builds are being successfully compiled but tests are not working due to a dependency on python 2.7.3.
- bug 908090 ImportError: No module named json, on SeaMonkey Linux/Windows (all) test runs, due to (still) using Python 2.5. We do have python 2.7 installed but our build system is picking up python 2.5 instead.
- ewong's patch is waiting for review. It was manually patched on the master; but, was reverted and the buildmaster was reconfigured and so the changes are gone. Need to have the patch pushed officially in order for this bug to be fixed.
- pymake is failing with "invalid syntax" again because of an outdated Python.
- Priority on fixing this and l10n repacks after 2.24 release.(No ETA yet)
- bug 943740 is tracking the progress (or lack of one) in building trunk and aurora on Linux & Mac from the downloading user's POV. (Windows nightlies are still appearing on schedule — or were until a day or two ago.)
- No langpacks since 29th August on trunk. Needs investigating.
- Windows and Mac trunk langpacks directories have been removed on the FTP server, maybe for lack of recent XPIs (later than 2.20a1). Latest Linux langpacks are dated 29 August. Callek told Tonymec on IRC he has a hunch about why but more pressing things to do first.
- In Bug 902876 Comment 12 Mcsmurf is waiting for feedback from the build team on how to proceed.
- Buildmaster is up and running.
- Callek is hand-approving requests for CLOSED TREE landings at the moment.
- Due to the master having some mysql issues, Callek has put a halt on the mysql updates, which affects the tbpl. So nothing is showing in tbpl atm.
- comm-* will be building out of mozilla-* (bug 648979 etc.). Jcrammer has mostly completed the coding. Next step is consultation with mozilla-central build peers on landing the patches and also getting implicit permission to add several new top level directories to mozilla-central.
Fixed Stuff Since Last Meeting
- Some build problems were fixed
- SeaMonkey 2.27 will be skipped.
- SeaMonkey 2.26.1 is scheduled for June 14.
- there is bug 1018792 to track which bugs need backporting to the 2.26 branch
- the next release will be 2.28
- Useful Firefox Release Schedule link: Releases Scheduling
Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking
- See Basics page. Please only list current changes here.
- Addon Compatibility Listings
- Ratty filed bug 957149 to push an updated version of DOMi to addons.mozilla.org to pick up the latest fixes. Depends on:
- bug 798174 (DOMi2.0.15) DOM Inspector 2.0.15.
- The checklist for a new release is at https://wiki.mozilla.org/DOM_Inspector/Releases/Checklist. IanN says he may take a look at doing this, time permitting.
- Our build team needs to automate DOMI branch selection rather than having to tweak the client.py every 6 weeks. bug 763506
- Lightning and addons.mozilla.org:
- Release notes have been updated to tell users how they can find the current Lightning version for SeaMonkey, see bug 984884.
- Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey
- Lemon Juice: I've been thinking about it for some time and finally I got myself do it - a tool that will automatically modify Firefox and Thunderbird extensions to work with SeaMonkey. This can be useful for people who are not technically savvy enough to understand how to change install.rdf and force this way an extension to work in SeaMonkey - but it can also be useful for those who know how to do it but would prefer an automated tool that will do it in an instant.
Moreover, this tool goes a little further beyond simply modifying install.rdf - it also identifies a few more other things in the code that are Firefox or Thunderbird specific and attempts to change them. Of course, not all extensions can be ported so easily to SeaMonkey since there's only so much an automated tool like that can do.
Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey: http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/
2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- [From a previous meeting:] There is a problem with the metrics server, so no current data is available
- See Basics page for the usual reminders.
- Stalled. Needs a kick.
- Fixed since the last meeting:
- Current breakages:
- bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager needs an owner
- bug 995737 adapt seamonkey for the ab remote content policy change; use permission manager instead of address book property.
- various issues with notifications/doorhangers not showing: bug 1019583 offline apps, quietly accepting requests
- Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
- Note: Please file bugs if you notice any landing on mozilla-central that might break us. Please don't depend on Ratty noticing such landings.
- bug 910192 Get rid of intl.charset.default as a localizable pref and deduce the fallback from the locale. Tracked in:
- bug 934492 Adjust the languages preference pane to take into account bug 910192 which removes intl.charset.default and deduces the fallback from the locale.
- pref-character_encoding.xul is affected. In MailNews folderProps.xul and am-server.xul are also affected. In Thunderbird fonts.xul is broken (bug 1003716 . In Editor/UI EditorSaveAsCharset.xul is affected.
- Our front end Sync UI needs to be updated as the old backend is going away in Gecko/Firefox 31. See: New Firefox Sync has landed in Firefox Nightly. Tracked in:
- A lot of these bugs are due to mozilla-central switching from synchronous APIs to Asynchronous APIs.
- bug 566746 (asyncFormHistory) Form history should use asynchronous storage API. Tracked in:
- bug 912031 Use Asynchronous FormHistory.jsm in place of nsIFormHistory2 in Suite.
- bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
- MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
- bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
- bug 795144 default --disable-gnomeui icon theme support
- porting bug needed for the two configure.in changesets? Changes could be folded into bug 794772 above. *** IanN and Ewong are looking into this..
- bug 627699 Port GTK2 to GTK3. Tracked in:
- bug 882036 Port GTK2 to GTK3 - SeaMonkey Part.
- A Red Hat person seems to be working on the GTK3 integration.
- bug 846635 Use asynchronous getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI. bug 834543 Add asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI. Tracked in:
- bug 896947 Use asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI and other places.
Bugs: Low Hanging Fruit
Not necessarily Good First Bugs but minor fixes that shouldn't need advanced coding skills.
- bug 1016577Update about:rights content for Geolocation service similar to Toolkit bug r514817.
- bug 734883Port |bug 294260Safe Mode: Auto detect previous start-up failure and offer to start in safe mode| to SeaMonkey.
- bug 1016759SeaMonkey 2.26 session restore not fully working.
- bug 1016771email account configuration has misleading description which can lead to loss of emails.
- bug 1019833Help text needed for the searchbar added in bug 410613(Open Search).
Good student projects:
- bug 1011857Implement CustomizableUI for SeaMonkey.
Needs investigation/confirmation/QA wanted?
- bug 1016699The 'Automatically place a copy in:' box becomes unchecked without my doing anything.
- bug 1016921Multiple smtp accounts require new authorisation.
- bug 1019583Missing notification for allowing websites to use offline web application cache, all requests are quietly accepted.
Feature List, Planning
Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 36 new, 10 fixed, 12 triaged.
- Low triaging effort.
- See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.
- SeaMonkey needs a debugger for its chrome code. Jez couldn't continue work on bug 613974 because he couldn't figure out a way to debug Seamonkey's JS. He suggest Firebug be modified to allow remote debugging of Seamonkey (bug 1006466). Bare minimum, have a good tutorial about how to debug Seamonkey chrome from Firefox (couldn't get that to work either) and link it from various Seamonkey developer pages.
- We had some discussion in the meeting if we should look at porting/including the Firefox devtools or rather look into bundling Firebug 2.0
- TODO: We will need to update our Sync UI code due to the new Sync API. Also we need to check if we are allowed to create FX accounts from our UI Since the new Sync accounts are FX accounts.[IanN] I'm sure I saw a question about FX accounts and branding.
Modern Theme rework (Patrick Dempsey)
Patrick Dempsey in concentrating on paid work at the moment.
Attachment Reminders (Suyash Agarwal)
Suyash is currently working on his GSoC student project. He should be back on this bug in August. Reference: bug 984016 Attachment Reminder: Help prevent forgetting inclusion of attachments (Port TB bug 244455)
Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).
- To be Checked-in:
- bug 992561 - Typo in viewCertificate.label in suite/locales/en-US/chrome/browser/navigator.dtd
- bug 840427 - Migrate SeaMonkey builders to using mock
- bug 853720 - After bug 827446, SeaMonkey doesn't know mozcrash.
- bug 922076 - Switch tests to using moz.build and manifests
- bug 949884 - disable pulseaudio in SeaMonkey
- bug 956007 - Remove front end for removed x-user-def font preferences
- bug 1021370 - Bug 1016622 changed the name of seer to Predictor. browser-prefs.js needs to be changed.
- bug 1022702 - Slightly clean up ICU setup for windows debug builds (Port m-c changeset d959285c827e )
- Working On:
- bug 110904 - attach signature fails silently on bad paths
- bug 507676 - Port |Bug 435804 - Remaining rdf cleanup for FilterListDialog| to SeaMonkey
- bug 837649 - [Tracking Bug] Stop OSX 10.5 support for SeaMonkey project
- bug 837650 - Stop support for OSX 10.5 in suite/ tree
- bug 863747 - Add option to disable Location bar history
- bug 918474 - Default Search dropdown doesn't get refreshed after adding new search engine
- bug 928632 - When the birth year is empty, SeaMonkey puts 1900 and in English language
- Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
- Pending check in:
- Checked in pending review:
- Waiting for feedback/review:
- bug 837408 Add en-GB locale to gaia
- Fixing review comments before checkin:
- Working on:
- bug 943335 [TB] Update icons used in searchplugins (Yahoo, eBay, Wikipedia, Amazon, Bing, Twitter)
- Various SM Council documents.
- bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
- bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
- bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
- bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
- File/Folder selection in windows.
- To Do:
- bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.
- Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
- Help get composer standalone builds working with --enable-tests.
Fixed on comm-central and comm-aurora:
- bug 998724 Feed preview is broken.
- bug 999462 Support HTTP cache v2 API in the UI.
- bug 1008585 Fix popup blocker fallout.
- bug 1008925 Port plugin crashed handler changes.
Fixed on comm-central, comm-aurora and comm-beta (for release uplift):
- bug 794749 Separator positions are not remembered in the 3-pane window's vertical view.
- bug 998171 Stale icons show up in Aero Peek.
- bug 1008835 Unable to defer a new account to the Global Inbox.
- bug 1016132 Stop mutating the prototype of extApplication.prototype.
- bug 553757 SMTP Server dialog doesn't fit after disabling SSL.
Needs checkin and aurora approval:
- bug 1018256 Fix Save and Change Character Encoding dialog.
Needs checkin and aurora and beta approval:
- bug 1018263 Selection list properties dialog doesn't work properly.
Needs checkin and aurora (now beta) approval:
- bug 1020630 Content permission doorhanger/notification doesn't work.
Needs checkin and aurora port (string changes):
- bug 934492 Adjust the preference panes for the removal of the charset data source.
Might have needed a backout somewhere along the line:
- bug 975362 Support HTTP cache v2 API in the UI.
- bug 368608 Fix DOM Inspector after removal of inIFlasher.
Waiting for review:
- bug 1021615 Customise dialog doesn't display toolbar style after changing toolbar style preference back to full.
Still waiting for review:
- bug 1001071 XBLify folder-selection menus in the FilterListDialog and SearchDialog.xul.
- bug 1017696 Use a JSON storage back-end in the Login Manager - SeaMonkey part.
- bug 1019383 Implement search-engine discovery notification.
- Some minor updates to confvars.sh .
- Did some reviews.
- Bug triage and Bug discussions.
- Usual end user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.
Fixed on trunk:
- bug 844098 Update about:rights content for Safe Browsing based on Toolkit bug 514817 and separate inline scripts.
- bug 1015924 Focus cursor on address bar when opening new private window.
- bug 173465 Add UI for mail/news "network.protocol-handler.external..." preferences.
Needs a revised patch:
- bug 1009233 Help on mail account settings for authentication method needs updating.
Still waiting for ui-review:
- bug 994093 Provide toggle for Geolocation service (geo.enabled) in Privacy & Security preference pane.
- bug 998787 Rename options in Geolocation doorhanger notification to disambiguate "Don't Share" vs. "Not Now".
- bug 1019986 Clarify "Don't Show" label in Desktop Notification bar and doorhanger.
- bug 1016577 Update about:rights content for Geolocation service similar to Toolkit bug 514817.
- bug 1019583 Missing notification for allowing offline app cache.
- bug 1020630 Desktop Notification doorhanger is no longer shown.
- bug 1020657 Document Desktop Notification feature in Help content.
- Bug triage, testing, and commenting for SeaMonkey and MailNews Core.
- End-user information and discussion on MozillaZine.
Working on [Core:Widget Cocoa]:
- bug 333910 nsITheme for menu/scrollbox arrows.
- bug 1012445 Implement NS_THEME_CHECKMENUITEM for Mac OS X.
- bug 1022912 Platform color -moz-mac-menutextdisable is too dark.
Any other business?
- [Ratty] KaiRo reminded us that we need to grow our contributor community. Perhaps we can get some Engagement experts from Mozilla to give us some suggestions?
- [IanN] might have a chat with some people and see if they can point me in the right direction.