The Tree Sheriffs
When we moved to the "inbound" model of tree management, the Tree Sheriffs became a crucial part of our engineering infrastructure. The primary responsibility of the Sheriffs is and will always be to aid developers to easily, quickly, and seamlessly land their code in the proper location(s) and ensure that code does not break our automated tests. In the service of this objective, the Sheriffs work closely with the larger engineering organization to create and enforce landing policies that increase productivity while maintaining an efficient and robust automated testing system. Beyond the policy role, they have also become shepherds of automation quality by monitoring intermittent failures, performing uplifts and merges, and identifying poorly performing automation machines. This role has proven successful, and so a formal module for the Tree Sheriffs in the larger context of the Activities Module was created: Modules/Activities#Tree_Sheriffs.
The living document of Sheriff roles and responsibilities will be kept up to date on this wiki page and will certainly change over time as our organization and our automation continues to expand. But this module and this document will help give the sheriffs a platform to work from for future changes.
Meet the Sheriffs
The owners & peers of the Tree Sheriffs module can be found on the module page, however for day to day sheriffduty coverage look for the following people in #developers (the on-duty sheriff will typically have |sheriffduty appended to their IRC nick):
- UTC+5:30: Nigel Babu [:nigelb]
- UTC+1: Carsten Book [:Tomcat]
- UTC+1: Sebastian Hengst [:Aryx]
- UTC+1: Ms2ger (who denies being a sheriff unless it suits him)
- UTC-4: Ryan VanderMeulen [:RyanVM] (not actively sheriffing, but available to help in an emergency)
- UTC-8: Wes Kocher [:KWierso]
- UTC-8: Phil Ringnalda [:philor]
- UTC+8: Iris Hsiao [:ihsiao]
If you want to know more about us see our Teampage
For more info on what's happening at the moment, see the on-duty notes: https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/sheriffing-notes
We're always looking for more people to join the team and help out - just drop us a message!
- Committing rules and responsibilities
- Tree Rules
- Notes for sheriffs handover/current issues: https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/sheriffing-notes
- How-to guides
- Sheriffing/Job Visibility Policy
- Sheriffing/Deciding To Close A Tree
- Treeherder (replacement for TBPL)
- Need cleanup: