Support/Firefox Features/Clean up user profile/TestPlan
|Feature||Status||Release Target||Dev Lead||QA Lead||Status|
|Reset Firefox||Partially landed||Firefox 13||Matt Noorenberghe||Ioana Budnar||Signed off|
- This feature provides a way for users to automatically fix Firefox by creating a new profile and migrating their data. It can be accessed three different ways:
- When the user attempts to re-install Firefox (same version is already installed), he is offered the option to reset Firefox. Note that the reset process is performed by Firefox, not by the installer.
- After Firefox crashes three consecutive times at start-up, it will offer to either reset Firefox or to start in safe mode.
- The user can open the Troubleshooting Information page (about:support) and click the Reset Firefox button.
- When the user chooses to reset Firefox, Firefox will:
- Confirm with the user what actions are about to be taken
- Create a new user profile
- Migrate the user data (bookmarks, history, saved passwords, autofill form/search data, cookies, extensions and themes)
- Reset the toolbars and controls
- Reset all the user preferences to Firefox defaults
- Disable all the add-ons and switch to the default theme
- Restart using the new profile.
- Since OS X and Linux don't have installers, there is no way to trigger this process for them upon re-installation. The rest of the cases are valid for them too.
- Add-ons are not migrated at all yet. - 2012-05-07
- The user's Sync account is not migrated either. - 2012-05-07
- Feature Wiki page
- Preliminary Mockups:
- The user chooses to reset Firefox while re-installing it.
- After three consecutive start-up crashes, the user selects the option to reset Firefox.
- The user opens about:support, then clicks the Reset Firefox button.
- The reset process is started, then it gets cancelled.
- The user gathers a rich profile then he resets Firefox.
- Firefox is opened with a clean profile, then it gets reset.
- The user starts private browsing, then it resets Firefox.
- Firefox is opened in safe mode, then the user resets it.
- The user manually closes the Firefox process while it's being reset.
- The OS gets restarted while resetting Firefox.
- Firefox is reset multiple consecutive times.
- OS restore after cleaning up a Firefox profile.
- Reset the Firefox profile after restoring the OS.
- Reset Firefox after updating it from an already reset profile.
- Setup sync, then reset the Firefox profile.
- The test cases for this feature can be viewed here.
9 Total; 2 Open (22.22%); 0 Resolved (0%); 7 Verified (77.78%);
- Clean install
- Safe mode
- Firefox migrators outside this feature (import user data from other browsers)
- All the test cases were executed.
- All the major bugs have been fixed.
- Sign offs
- Firefox 13.0
- UI from safe mode dialog and installer not implemented yet.
- Aurora - 2012-03-19
- Beta 1 - 2012-04-26
- Beta 2 - 2012-05-04
- RC - 2012-06-04