- 1 Support
Who are we
SUMO (SUpport.MOzilla.org) is a global gathering of many enthusiastic and dedicated people whose passion is to help all users of Mozilla's software and products. SUMO operates on the same principle that Mozilla does: a core of staff coordinating the operations and an army of contributors powering them.
You can find a detailed list and contact info for our staff members and core contributors here. Any questions, feedback or concerns - please reach out, we would love to hear from you!
With over 30 million visits a month, we help users around the world by providing tips and answering questions in the form of knowledge base articles, question and answer forums, and social media support.
With content in 74 languages, SUMO has global reach. Almost 60% of our visitors seek answers in languages other than English.
SUMO has one of the largest contributor bases at Mozilla, with over 100 core contributors, with 60-90 members joining each week.
For more detailed information about SUMO, see this presentation.
SUMO is continually exploring ways to provide impactful and innovative support to over a billion Firefox users. Our projects include:
- Social Media Support (Q1 2016)
- Social media support enables us to establish relationships with users, developers and Internet advocates, detect emerging crises and enable users take control by providing social support in a sustainable, contributor-driven way.
- SUMO Social Day Report - Firefox 45 Launch
- SUMO community blog
- Get the latest scoop on community life. This is where community members share updates, tips and information on upcoming events.
- Write Help Articles for the Knowledge Base - The KB is the main point of contact for our users that receives 30+ million views a month. Base articles are created in English.
- Answer Questions in the Support Forum - The forums are our User to User help channel manned by our amazing contributors. Users add 150-200 questions a day.
- Translate Articles to your Languages - Our articles are localized into 74 different languages. Nearly 60% of our visitors don’t see the site in English.
- Help users in Social Channels
- Social Media Support - Social media helps Firefox better understand its users. There are about 14,000 questions/comments on Firefox social media platforms every month. More often than not, when people experience issues with Firefox, they tend to share them on Twitter and Facebook before submitting bugs or seeking out solutions from SUMO. We're here to help, share our knowledge and build relationships that will empower our users to get the most out of their Firefox.
- Army of Awesome
- Wednesdays 09:00 PST Weekly SUMO Community Meetings
- Thursdays 09:00 PST (discontinued) Weekly Platform Meetings
- Thursdays 09:00 PST (new as of 6/30/2016) New Platform Meetings
Where you can find us
If you have a specific question about supporting users or want to learn more about how to help support Firefox users, you are strongly encouraged to reach out to SUMO volunteers and staff. We have two channels for this:
- If you have a quick question, you can find us on IRC at irc.mozilla.org in #sumo. This is for live discussion but not for decisions since it is time zone challenged :-) and not everybody uses IRC.
- All other discussion and questions about helping to support users, should be posted to the SUMO contributor forum. This is where longer form discussion takes place and decisions are documented.