Sync Perf and Screenshot Demo
Just a little proof of concept in hopes it can spark other tooling projects.
Problem: about:sync-tabs sometimes is blank. Why?
Solution: Let's use a Command Line sync client to fetch data, then graph it over time.
- Use https://github.com/edmoz/fxa-sync-client
- bin/sync-cli.js -e EMAILl -p <pw> -t firstname.lastname@example.org
- run this on a jenkins instance at some interval
- Send total time to firebase cloud data store so we don't have to install anything or write db code.
- create an html page that uses a library to fetch firebase json output.
Problem: We translate into a lot of different languages. Let's display them in a tableau or single view for quick verification. It needs to be simple because I'm lazy.
Solution: Use phantom.js/slimer.js on jenkins
- phantom and slimer are headless (for the most part) implementations of webkit and gecko. Let's run simple script on jenkins and capture screen shots and output.
- sample script: https://github.com/edmoz/services-tools/blob/master/fxa-l18n/page-scrape/loadSignin.js
- run it on jenkins for each language - need to use xvfb for slimer since it needs virtual frame buffer
- It also prints out strings: jenkins console
- copy screen shots to web server and a html page to display them:
- for extra credit, let's diff dev against prod servers using image magick: diff dev vs prod
- the script: imageMagick script