Talk:Releases/Fx 3.0.7 Partners
I've got a few questions related with these "Partner Repacks":
- what are the bug IDs related with these releases?
- what are the changes between official Firefox and these repacks?
- where can I find source code of these repacks?
- why does Google need 4 different distributions? what are the differences between them?
- where can I download these "Partner Repacks"?
I hope my questions won't be left unanswered. Thanks in advance. BartZilla 23:54, 14 March 2009 (UTC)
Just a few quick answers to the questions, sorry it took so long to get a reply in, I'll be blogging shortly about them, too.
- Bug IDs have been MoCo confidential in the past. We're changing this with 3.0.9, and all released partner repacks will be tracked publicly from the Releases page, with links to the builds and individual bugs.
- The changes vary by repack, but typically there are changes to the AUS channel, preferences and, in some cases, additional search plugins and/or extensions. we'll be posting details of each of the distributions in the near term.
- All partner repacks are based on the stock release of Firefox. The files in the source installer are not altered in any way. All modifications are done via an extension or distribution customization that is additive only (e.g. separate files from the default). The HG repo you mention above contains those modifications for the repack process. No original files are modified or deleted by the repack process.
- The distributions were for versions of Firefox with Google Toolbar that were distributed through different organizations (e.g. Real Networks and DivX, which distributed Firefox w/Google Toolbar w/ their installer at one point or another).
- We'll be making them available for public browsing/download in the near term. We're in the process of making the repack generation part of the regular build process (target is 3.0.10 for implementation), and we'll also be adding them to the Partnerships section on mozilla.com.
Kev 17:19, 16 April 2009 (EDT)
- Thanks for the answers. You omitted mentioning source code, though... AFAICT source code is not available in some cases -- eg. it seems that Partner Repack for E-Bay includes some closed-source extension that contains binary-only components (EbayAccessService.so, EbayFormSubmitObserver.so)... My question is: what is the license of these files (and what is the license of the whole browser that includes these files)? For example: is reverse engineering of them allowed or not? Thanks. BartZilla 20:48, 17 April 2009 (UTC)
- I have also a question regarding partner-repacks.py script. What is the license of this script? For some reason it lacks standard License Boilerplate. If it is released under the Mozilla Trilicense, may I use it in any meaningful way (ie. to create customized version of Firefox for distritbution among my family and friends)? Thanks. BartZilla 21:05, 17 April 2009 (UTC)
eBay Extension EULA
Partnering:Repacks:Firefox3:eBay#Additional Extensions or themes? says that part of the distribution is eBay Sidebar for Firefox. I installed this extension (ie. "eBay Sidebar for Firefox 1.6.10") on Firefox 3.0.9/Linux and the following EULA has to be accepted to use this extension; I'm pasting it here for reference. --BartZilla 00:20, 23 April 2009 (UTC)
Firefox Companion™ for eBay® (“eBay Companion”) operates in conjunction with third-party software (Mozilla Firefox® software). Before you can install the eBay Companion you must agree to the following Terms and Conditions. By clicking the Agree button, you are acknowledging that you have read and agree to abide by the Terms and Conditions. If you do not accept the Terms and Conditions, you may not use the software.
eBay Companion Terms and Conditions
By using the eBay Companion, you agree to be bound by the following Terms and Conditions.
eBay Companion Use. eBay* grants you the right to use the eBay Companion for your personal, non-commercial use only, subject to these Terms and Conditions. You may not modify, copy, publish, license or sell any information or software associated with the eBay Companion. You may not rent, lease or otherwise transfer rights to the eBay Companion. Furthermore, you may not use the eBay Companion in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden or impair the eBay site, nor may you use the eBay Companion in any manner that could interfere with any other party's use and enjoyment of the eBay site. You agree that you will use the eBay Companion only in compliance with all applicable laws, including but not limited to copyright and other intellectual property laws, and with the eBay User Agreement you agreed to when registering as an eBay member. Your right to use the eBay Companion will terminate immediately if you breach any provision of these Terms and Conditions or if you have been suspended by eBay. All provisions of these Terms and Conditions except the License Grant will survive termination and continue in effect. Upon termination, you may no longer use the eBay Companion and you must destroy all copies of the eBay Companion.
User Controls and Uninstall. Your eBay Companion preferences (found under “Add Ons” in the “Tools” menu) allow you to control how the eBay Companion alerts, Account Guard and other functions operate, and to change or delete your Account Guard information. You can also disable or uninstall the eBay Companion using the functions available from the eBay Companion preferences.
Intellectual Property. You acknowledge that eBay International A.G. and eBay Inc. own all rights, title and interest in and to the eBay Companion, including without limitation all Intellectual Property Rights. "Intellectual Property Rights" means any and all rights existing from time to time under patent law, copyright law, trade secret law, registered or unregistered trademark law, unfair competition law, and any and all other proprietary rights, and any and all applications, renewals, extensions and restorations thereof, now or hereafter in force and effect worldwide. Unless permitted under applicable law, you agree not to modify, adapt, translate, prepare derivative works from, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise attempt to derive source code from the eBay Companion unless explicitly allowed by law. You also agree to not remove, obscure, or alter eBay's copyright notice, trademarks, or other proprietary rights notices affixed to or contained within or accessed in conjunction with or through the eBay Companion.
Disclaimer of Warranties. eBay disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of the eBay Companion (including without limitation, any spoof site detection technology or any information contained therein) provided that nothing under these terms and conditions shall limit eBay's liability for death or personal injury arising as a result of eBay's negligence. The eBay Companion is provided "as is," with no warranties whatsoever. eBay expressly disclaims to the fullest extent permitted by law all express, implied and statutory warranties, including without limitation the warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, accuracy of spoof site detection technology or data and non infringement of proprietary rights. eBay disclaims any warranties regarding the security, reliability, timeliness and performance of the eBay Companion. You understand and agree that you download and use the eBay Companion at your own discretion and risk and that you will be solely responsible for any damages to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download or use of the eBay Companion.
Limitation of Liability. Under no circumstances shall eBay be liable to any user on account of that user's use or misuse of the eBay Companion. Such limitation of liability shall apply to prevent recovery of direct, indirect incidental, consequential, special, exemplary, and punitive damages whether such claim is based on warranty, contract tort (including negligence), or otherwise, (even if eBay has been advised of the possibility of such damages). Such limitation of liability shall apply whether the damages arise from use or misuse of and reliance on the eBay Companion, from the performance or misperformance of the eBay Companion, from inability to use the eBay Companion, or from the interruption, suspension or termination of the eBay Companion (including such damages incurred by third parties). Such limitation shall apply notwithstanding a failure of essential purpose of any limited remedy and to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless eBay, and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, shareholders, employees and agents, from any claim or demand, made by any third party due to or arising directly or indirectly out of your conduct or in connection with your use of the eBay Companion, any alleged violation of these Terms and Conditions or the eBay User Agreement, or any alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation. eBay reserves the right, at its own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, but doing so shall not excuse your indemnity obligations.
Miscellaneous Provisions. You are responsible for complying with trade regulations and both foreign and domestic laws. You agree not to export or re-export the eBay Companion or underlying technology to any prohibited country, person, end-user or entity specified by (a) UK or European Union export laws or (b) any country subject to United States embargo or on the US Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or on the US Commerce Department's Denied Party or Entity List. The Export Control Department (part of the UK Department of Trade and Industry) has detailed information on export controls at www.dti.gov/export.control/index.htm.
You acknowledge that eBay International A.G. and eBay Inc. have rights in the eBay Companion and that eBay International A.G. and eBay Inc. have the right to enforce terms in these terms and conditions against you, including, without limitation, termination. eBay International A.G. and eBay Inc is an express third party beneficiary to these Terms and Conditions. Save for eBay International A.G. and eBay Inc., a person who is not a party to these Terms and Conditions, has no right under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 ("Act") to rely on or enforce any of these Terms and Conditions. Nothing in these terms and conditions shall affect any right or remedy of a third party which exists or is available apart from that Act.
This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales and the parties hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts. If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision or portion of these terms and conditions to be unenforceable, the remainder of these terms and conditions will continue in full force and effect.
* eBay in these Terms and Conditions refers to eBay Europe S.à r.l.