Thunderbird meeting notes 2014-09-11 Today's minutes taker, please don't forget to : - save etherpad before clearing for this meeting, if etherpad wasn't previously cleared (but copy "Action items" to the top before clearing) - after end of meeting, copy entire etherpad contents to a new dated wiki page on http://mzl.la/tbstatus so that they will go public in the meeting notes blog. - save etherpad, copy "Action items" to "Action items from last meetings", and clear the rest of etherpad comments
- rkent, florian queze, irving, rolandtanglao, magnus
Action items from last meetings
- rkent and wsmwk to unblock / deal with bienvenu bugs
Friends of the tree
Current status and discussions
- no progress on "bienvenu" bugs
- comm-central changes on hold pending mercurial changes and signoff by smedberg
- discussion about kent's modification to Thunderbird governance proposal is positive
- much work on summit and video from mconley and rkent
- summit agenda planning, rkent to ask in tb-planning
- Likely won't be at meeting today, one of my meetings changed time slots to start 30m before this one
- according to gps, hg partial checkouts are targetted to land 3.2, more likely to land in 3.3 (release dates of Nov 1/Feb 1, respectively)
- bsmedberg has said this is his blocker for letting c-c merge into m-c
- gps plans to make it a high priority to update to newer hg quickly, and now has a new role to make that more possible
- Played with putting OpenLDAP server in a Docker container
- I have some prototype tests that use this server to test LDAP functionality
JosiahOne (Not at meeting)
- Have done reviews and have been giving feedback in bugs, but personal development time has slowed. My development machine has to have a part replaced on Saturday plus I have papers and college applications to finish this month, so availability will be limited until around the time of the Summit.
- OS X Codesign V2 status is coming along, I'm mostly just waiting for a finished version of the Fx implementation.
- Summit: we really need a group of people to work on the agenda. Volunteers?
- Discussion of reorg plan?
- Now acting as interface between TB community and ProTravel Inc
- The attendees list has been garnered from the wiki, along with 2 extras from Fallen and Florian for Calendar / Chat. Waiting to hear from a few more.
- Re-connected with Aaron Mandel about a fundraising video. Quote is approximately $600 (+tax), since he likes Mozilla and wants to give us a deal
- We need to find a good variety (accents, countries of origin, languages) members of the TB community who are comfortable / articulate in front of the camera (about 5-7 people), and come up with "our story". I suggested our audience be current TB users who don't actually know what's happening with Thunderbird.
- Quickly talk about where Thunderbird came from, the transition to community development, and where we are now - and why we need help. Instead of just talking heads, these interviews will be interspersed with shots of people checking their email, doing calendaring, chatting, etc.
- We need the quick and punchy stuff: "Put users in control of their email", "Your email is yours, even when you're offline", "Lots of tweaks and add-ons for power users"
- We also need to send Aaron TB art / assets for graphical work.
- Once we have our story, we'll put together a really basic script, so we know who to put in front of the camera, and what questions to ask.
- Then, I'll meet with Aaron face-to-face 2 weeks before we shoot to make sure we have everything we need
- During the summit (probably the Friday), we'll pull our 5-7 people aside, ask them the questions we've scripted (maybe several times to get the sound bites we want), and then Aaron will cut together the video.
clokep (Not attending)
- Been in contact with some of the DarkMail developers, have been trying to get them to ask questions in #maildev, but they seem to like to ask through me.
- They've said things like "Random people don't get answers there"
- More likely they're working during times when "we're" not online.
- Roland transitioning. Last Day is April 30, 2015. Organizing weekly support meetings to get bugs/papercuts done as part of the transition.
- mconley: Come up with a short-list of volunteers to go on camera, send out emails with questions on them to get responses, find the responses that resonate, and from that, assemble our script.