Toolkit:Password Manager/Password Generation
signon.generation.availablecontrols whether the feature is available for users (e.g. if the about:preferences UI should show).
signon.generation.enabledis the user pref to enable/disable the feature from about:preferences.
Firefox 70 (Desktop only)
See Y in AC MVP (AC stands for autocomplete) column of the backlog for work targeting Firefox 70.
Generate a single password format for all websites but allow the user to reveal and edit the password. Fill generated passwords via the two new UIs:
- autocomplete on autocomplete="new-password" fields
- context menu on any password field (even if it's not intended for new passwords)
Only a single field is filled for this version.
Generated passwords automatically save (if there are no conflicts) and/or a dismissed doorhanger appears to allow saving whenever one is filled. Any edits to the field that was filled should get reflected in the doorhanger and/or storage.
The user can reveal, edit and cut/copy the generated password when it is focused.
Generation is disabled in private windows for this initial version.
|ID||Summary||Priority||Whiteboard||Status firefox70||Assigned to|
|1584185||Password auto-filled with the wrong password (generated password)||P2||[passwords:generation] [skyline]||wontfix|
1 Total; 1 Open (100%); 0 Resolved (0%); 0 Verified (0%);
0 Total; 0 Open (0%); 0 Resolved (0%); 0 Verified (0%);
List of popular sites using autocomplete=new-password
There are many enhancements possible for the feature which aren't part of the "AC MVP" column. Check the other rows for more details. Some of the key ones are:
- Heuristics to suggest generated passwords in autocomplete when
- Generating a password more appropriate for the site (length, character classes, etc.)
- Requesting a new generated password if the user needs a different one
- Filling both the new password field and the confirmation field at the same time
- Generating passwords in private windows