Assessing the Situation
I (kveton) will be the first one to admit that I'm not completely familiar with the existing UMO service. Having spent the last couple of months helping with the systems-side of this application I have learned a few things:
- Security, reliability and scalability are paramount (in that order)
- UMO is an absolutely critical service to the Mozilla community servicing over 3 million unique clients a day
- UMO could possibly become a main driver in adoption of Mozilla applications
Over the next 2 weeks I'll be assessing what we have in terms of existing code base as well as finding out more about the team currently working on this application.
- Meet with team members one-on-one via phone to get a feeling for their skills and understanding of the current UMO service
- Launching the security audit across the existing code-base
- Developing a community relations program to get a better handle on what the community wants and how we can best service that
- Meet with the MoFo infra team to discuss scaling requirements for Firefox and 1.1
If you're currently a developer on UMO please send me an email at email@example.com to schedule a time to talk via phone so we can cover the above.