- 1 Status
- 2 Overview
- 3 Design & Implementation
- 4 Discussion & Implications
- Feature tracking bug
- bug 372972
- any other high-level tracking bugs can be listed here
Any relevant status comments for the feature can be placed here.
Shave off some of the rough edges in the download manager.
Describe the motivation behind the feature here.
- User remembers downloading a file, but no longer remembers where. Improve the UI to help find it.
- User downloads content which has a virus or is malware. If third party scanning software is installed, it should be able to notify the user and propose action.
- User on laptop needs to leave somewhere while in the middle of a download. Should be able to pause the download and resume it later, possibly in a future session (invocation of firefox).
- Should perhaps be possible to keep track of downloads without keeping another window open.
|CON-004a||P2||FR||Revise downloads manager|
|CON-005b||P2||NFR||Easier retrieval of files that a user has downloaded in the past|
|CON-005c||P3||NFR||Simplified (not window) UI for managing downloads||Seems to want to either be merged with or replace CON-004a|
|CON-006a||P2||FR||Integrate download manager with third-party virus scanners and malware protection|
|CON-007a||P2||FR||Support pause/resume for downloads. Improve download handling across multiple sessions||Current plan is for this to be done as a Google Summer-of-Code project|
|CON-007b||P3||FR||Download manager can be extended in a way that feels tightly integrated|
Describe the rough schedule here, linking back to relevant product release milestones, as well as linking to any build/release notes.
Design & Implementation
Mozilla CVS trunk
- resumable downloads may require some backend API changes
- integration with virus/malware scanners is likely to require evolving and publishing an API in concert with scanner vendors
- download manager extensibility item will require similar
Scanner integration and download manager extensibility items are both specifically targetted for this.
list changes to preferences and customization controls for the feature
Virus/malware scanner integration is likely to have some performance impact. Other performance impact is not anticipated.
- Should be able to resume a download after a crash
- No other effects anticipated
- Virus/malware scanner is a security win.
- May want security audit around download resumption to ensure that filesystem trickery can't lead to problems.
list privacy impacts and any tie-ins to user privacy features
list l10n requirements and a11y efforts
list the expected behavior of this feature/function when Firefox is upgraded to a newer minor release, downgraded by installation of an earlier revision, or re-installed (same version).
any other implementation or design related documentation
Discussion & Implications
Caveats / What We've Tried Before
links to previous design documents, discussions, etc.