- Exploring the Emotions of Security, Privacy, and Identity by Lindsay Kenzig (User Research)
- Designing Meaningful Security and Privacy Experiences by Larissa Co
- Five Potential Privacy Pitfalls for Developers by Larissa Co and Alina Hua
A month(ish)-long study to provide the FX UX team with guidelines for designing for security and privacy.
Why do we want to do this project?
- The Mozilla UX team, particularly the Firefox team wants to have a consistent, reasonable design stance on privacy and security that can be used as a guideline for addressing security and privacy requirements in our products.
- Because Security & Privacy reside in the realm of the super-technical or super-paranoid, and we want to make it more human and friendly (for the rest of us).
What this project will deliver:
- Baseline frameworks for designing for Security & Privacy in Firefox by evaluating current trends and existing (usability, user, academic) research
- Initial design guidelines for designing for security & privacy in Firefox
- A small design exercise using the framework with a specific Firefox security or privacy issue
- A summary presentation & report about the findings
What this project is NOT going to accomplish in one month:
- Provide Mozilla with a list of opportunities for innovative design in the security & privacy space
- Provide a detailed analysis of user needs and mindsets (need ethnographic research for this)
- Have a concrete design for all of the security and privacy needs we currently have today
- Establish a really solid design strategy for security and privacy (need ethnographic research for this)
Note: We aren't going to accomplish the items above mainly because this is intended to be a scoping project. I'm not going to do any ethnographic research for this phase yet, nor will I try to address all the specific design problems we have in Firefox. These are all good things to start working on if phase I is a success though.
Archive of Work
Notes and other work in progress relating to this project.
- Starter Frameworks and Principles (Updated: v2, Aug 16, 2012)
- Running List of Security/Privacy Issues
- UX Design and Security - talk I gave at Spideroak in Dec. 13, 2013
UI designs I've created along the way.
Some of the material I've read to help me understand this subject