- 1 Current Labs Project Details
- 2 Requirements for Product
- 3 Issues to resolve before ship
- 4 Open questions for this iteration
- 5 Future problems to solve
- 6 Required Resources
- 7 Projected Timeline for Integration
- 8 Cost/Benefit Assessment
Current Labs Project Details
Prism (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Prism) has been around for quite some time in various forms since 2007. Similar features have appeared in Chrome and Safari in betas and releases.
Requirements for Product
Ability to create a standalone instance for any site
Need to be able to create standard desktop shortcuts on Windows, Mac, and Linux to launch a standalone process loading that site. We should copy required cookies/passwords/resources so that this instance has access to that data and the first run is a seamless move.
Simple and intuitive install experience
- The current UI is really heavy and opaque to end users. There are some ideas on how to make this very obvious and feedback-rich, while streamlining the interaction.
- We should probably support some types of drag and drop operations, like dragging a bookmark into your dock, or start menu. Dragging to the windows desktop is a little more ambiguous, not sure what we should do there.
Issues to resolve before ship
Open questions for this iteration
Do we want to explore any of the desktop-enabled APIs for the first iteration?
Autodiscovery of SSB-enabled apps and UI indicators?
Future problems to solve
Exposing APIs to do more desktop-like things
The best examples are doing stuff like notifications and bringing focus forward, i.e. exposing Growl for Zimbra, or flashing on the taskbar like a normal Windows app, etc.
Some other upcoming work on sandboxed APIs for extensibility may come into play here.
Recognizing patterns of usage that make a standalone setup much better. i.e. if you open Gmail and leave it open forever and come back frequently, we should offer to make it standalone.
SSB-specific spec work
Includes ideas like:
- CSS media type like "sitebrowser" (needs better name, application? desktopapp? desktop? window?)
- sanity for icon support
- Web designer provide any image format, and the client deals with creating .icns and .ico files.
- We need to get that standard in place before there are too many SSBs on the market, and people feel obligated to create the random file types for full compatibility.
1 x Engineer w/understand of desktop integration points and XUL chops for UI work
Projected Timeline for Integration