I'm currently working on Firebug as a member of the Firebug Working Group. My goal is to assist the project with infrastructure and process, as well as coding and bug fixes.
Web Debugger Feature Comparison
NB: This is a document under construction. The WebKit Web Inspector and Opera Dragonfly comparisons were done well over a month ago (at time of this writing) and is in need of updating. Further notes about what the contents of the feature column are also necessary. robcee 18:08, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
|Feature||Firebug||Safari Web Inspector*||Opera Dragonfly†|
|Style of Elements||•||•||•|
|Rulers and Guides||•|
- * WebKit nightly version r35973
- † Opera beta 9.52 build 4916
- ? Unknown
- - Edit non-computed values only
- - Called “Properties” in Elements (HTML) view
- - Not as a selectable option, components are broken down by DOM object
- - Called “Resources”
- - Unable to see this feature in action, crashed my browser
- - Properties in DOM view
- - Worker threads?
- - Available in Firebug with Aptana
Firebug test-cases and code
from an email exchange with JJB and group:
I think these are all nice to have, but if I have to isolate the top pain points they would be:
- double load. This should be fixed already, bug 430155
- bug 449198 http-on-examine-response isn't fired when a response comes from the cache - check with Honza on how important — honza's reply: Yes, this one would help a lot! It's related to the net panel stuff. Currently there is quite hacky workaround; it would be awesome if I could do it properly.
- AJAX performance
- bug 379410 debugger script detection using parent JSScript* (morph for jsd) would reduce the number of script-creation calls (the most expensive ones) by two orders of magnitude.
- bug 449454 [jsd] Add frame argument to every jsd callback, eg jsdIScriptHook would avoid taking a breakpoint for every jsdIScript created
- bug 415008 eval Performance Regression (morph to implement CRC32) — would accelerate the common case for eval()
- tab-based debugging (focus on one window).
- bug 342715 Need an API to allow extensions to hook "document load started" events would eliminate weird code in tabWatcher.
- bug 449458 [jsd] Extend jsdIFilter coverage to include jsdIScriptHook would reduce overhead of jsd on pages you are not debugging.
- bug 228205 Redesign nsIConsoleService and related APIs — would improve error reporting accuracy and speed.
- error messages