User:Rtanglao/Roland Unofficial FF 58 for Android Support Report
- An unofficial support work in progress always DRAFT report for Firefox for Android 58 for power users and mozilla support volunteers, NOT for "normal" :-) users, what are we missing? either edit or irc me :rolandtanglao on #sumo in IRC or email me rtanglao AT mozilla.com or slack me @roland (you can find me in #sumo2). My apologies that some some of the linked documents are employee only; I wish we could be more "default by open" but not my call!
- After the end of the first 3 weeks we should do a pretty report in Google Docs with graphs!
- Also please note that we are not qualitative researchers, if you want something more scientific :-), please contact Matt Grimes of Strategy and Insights; his excellent team of qualitative and quantitative researchers can do something more formal and cool for you!
- 1 Source Documents
- 2 23 January 2018 Launch Day
- 3 24 January 2018 Day 2
- 4 23-29 January 2018 Week 1
- 5 30January-5 February 2018 Week 2
- 6 6-12 February 2018 Week 3
- 7 FF58-specific Things we learned from SUMO
- 8 Recurring non FF58-specific Things we learned from SUMO
- 9 Recurring things not learned from SUMO
SUMO KB Article(s) for Firefox 58 for Android
- User_talk:Rtanglao/Roland_Unofficial_FF_58_Support_Report <--- Firefox 58 desktop version of this page
- Manage bookmark folders in Firefox for Android <-- new article saying you can create, rename or move bookmarked folders
- Add, delete and view bookmarked webpages in Firefox for Android <-- updated article to documented new 58 feature: you can now create a folder or bookmark to certain folder when creating a bookmark.
- bug 1221344:Removed the Firefox Search widget from home screen because very few people used it (note about removal added to Add the Firefox Search widget to your home screen. Long press on home in FF59 for Android i.e. configuring Fennec as an Android Assist app is a partial replacement for this: bug 1413739
New or Improved but not documented in SUMO
- Added support for FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) playback
- Added Bengali from Bangladesh (bn-BD) and Nepali (ne-NP) locales
- Added support for progressive web apps
- Added ability to Sync only over non-metered connections (e.g., WiFi). Setting available via Sync Preferences.
- Updated the Safe Browsing protocol to version 4
- Comms & Community Control Center - Agenda / Actions <--- this was successful in 57 for Android and Desktop so it will be continued in #cccc in slack for FF 58 Desktop and Android
- Asa Dotzler's Product and Engineering view of Firefox for Desktop and Android changes from the weekly project meeting
- New Feature: FLAC lossless audio decoder in Fennec (was only on Desktop before)
- link to the Firefox 58 point release ridealongs for Fennec and Desktop if/when it gets created! Should be similar to firefox 57 point release ridealongs for Fennec and Desktop
- To be posted Firefox 58 for Android release thread; start off by cloning the SUMO Firefox 57 for Android release thread
23 January 2018 Launch Day
24 January 2018 Day 2
23-29 January 2018 Week 1
29 January 2018 Day 7
- Firefox 58.0.1 was released for Android
- ridealong: bug 1420641 - fennec release 57&58 loads first page after launch very slowly
30January-5 February 2018 Week 2
6-12 February 2018 Week 3
- Firefox 58.0.2 for Android released at 25%
- https://www-dev.allizom.org/en-US/firefox/android/58.0.2/releasenotes/ (stylo/css/outlook this doesn't apply to android because style is not enabled in Firefox for Android 58
FF58-specific Things we learned from SUMO
Recurring non FF58-specific Things we learned from SUMO
Recurring things not learned from SUMO
- bug 1325000 - Cannot send videos to Chromecast because Chromecast icon is not displayed! Been an issue since at least FF56.
- Fixed in Firefox 60 for Android ----> bug 1434469 - Add a permission for coarse location data