HowTo repackage Lightning for Linux and Windows
The purpose of this document is to provide a short tutorial on how to repackage Lightning so that it ships all binaries parts for Linux and Windows and can be installed in a shared profile.
Basically you'll need to:
- download lightning-0.9-tb-linux.xpi and lightning-0.9-tb-win.xpi (these files only work for Thunderbird 2)
For Thunderbird 3.0 you'll need Lightning 1.0b1 and for Thunderbird 3.1 it works with Lightning 1.0b2!
- rename both .xpi files to .zip and extract them to the same folder
- create new subfolder ./platform/Linux_x86-gcc3/components
- create new subfolder ./platform/WINNT_x86-msvc/components
- move all *.so files from ./components to ./platform/Linux_x86-gcc3/components
- move all *.dll files from ./components to ./platform/WINNT_x86-msvc/components
- The final folder structure should look like
lightning.xpi + chrome + components + defaults + js + platform + Linux_x86-gcc3 + components + WINNT_x86-msvc + components + chrome.manifest + install.rdf
- open file ./install.rdf with text editor and search for em:targetPlatform
- change the line to
- package all files in a new zip archive and rename it from .zip to .xpi