What we want (some of which we already have)
Have explicit temporary and permanent storage
- temporary intended to solve caching but cache that can go away without penalty
- no permission dialogues!
- data needs to be deleted if website falls out of use
- we're very close to this, bent about to start reviews
Plug in localStorage to temporary storage
- Honza is working on re-write of localStorage
- lower priority
Moving data from temporary to permanent storage
- also called database migration
- ex. Gmail "go offline"
- ex. Amazon cloud reader
- basically async localStorage
- need very simple API
- high value, low amount of work
- can be built on top of IDB
- Chrome has something already for Chrome extensions
- related things?
- something that uses IDB and/or localStorage?
- provide simple API directly in IDB ?
General appcache problems
- spec is terrible (poorly written)
- Mounir will help drive spec side of fixing this
- needs input from Jan, Patrick McManus, etc.
- Jonas and Mounir to come up with very rough proposal
- in London, improve proposal and present to others
- similar to what Google has
- that's connected with FileSystem API which means we'll have to just have something similar but not exactly the same
- more predictable than existing 50 MB limit
- "how much am I currently using?" (both permanent and temporary)
- like DeviceStorage API?
- sandboxed file system (implemented as a library on top of IDB)
- write a library that uses IDB or falls back to Google's FileSystem API or <something else>
- higher priority than quota API
- do we want to include FileHandle in this API ?
- try to bring in Microsoft views (Apple closer to our view than to Google's)
IndexedDB in Workers
- Maybe need Workers-As-Service (TM-sicking) support in B2G before this is useful?
- Code should start getting into review queues
- IPC thread needs to be removed in future
- schedule needs to be determined at London work week
- SimpleStorage API, P1
- FileSystem API, P2
- IndexedDB in workers, P3
- Quota API, P4
- Database migration (aka "temporary storage"), P5