« previous week | index | next week »
- 1:00pm Pacific time (21:00 UTC until March 8, 2009)
- Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
- +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
- +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
- +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
- sip:firstname.lastname@example.org from generic SIP clients
- http://air.mozilla.com/ to watch and listen
- join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel
note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself
WeeklyUpdate Live: You can watch the weekly meetings live at Air Mozilla
- 1 Friends of the Tree
- 2 Development Updates
- 3 Foundation Updates
- 4 Roundtable
- 5 Other Business
Friends of the Tree
- Neil wrote in nominating Mark Banner "for for all his hard work switching Thunderbird and SeaMonkey to toolkit's login manager."
(sorry, I'm late on this one. This should have been on the list 3 weeks ago.)
Please send FotT nominations to email@example.com. This is a great opportunity for the community to recognize those who go above and beyond, so please tell me when you see that happening. Thanks.
Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x
- Firefox 3.0.6
- Shipped last Tuesday night
- Had some server issues, which were fixed fairly quickly
- Held a post-mortem regarding 3.0.6 (bugs filed for issues)
- Firefox 3.0.7
- Mostly code froze on Tuesday
- Completely code froze on Thursday
- On track for release in early March
- Firefox 3.0.8
- Schedule coming this week
- Thunderbird 22.214.171.124
- Most approval requests and blocker nominations have been triaged
- Schedule coming this week
- 14 Bugs still blocking beta 3. TraceMonkey is still working through remaining issues. Best guess ETA is at least a few more days, maybe 3 or 4.
- Other areas are looking pretty good to wrap up blockers soon:
- 12 final blocker bugs left in content.
- 6 GFX final blockers.
- 9 Layout final blockers.
- 3 SVG final blockers.
- Biggest list: JS with 53 blockers.
- Component leads are checking nom queues daily. 15 noms are in the queue right now.
- For weekly engineering meeting notes and other info see the Platform page.
- Interesting queries related to Gecko 1.9.1
- 125 1.9.1 blockers.
- no bugs blocking Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 (bug 475100 needs to land before we build, but the patch is ready)
- 31 bugs blocking Firefox 3.1 final release (list)
- we estimate 2-3 weeks to complete the work
- going to try to get them all done by Feb 23rd
- if you want to help, come join us in #fx-team or by looking at that list of blockers or at our remaining easy and hard polish bugs
- Thunderbird 3.0b2
- Slushy String freeze date: 2009-02-10 — (Feb. 10, 2009)
- Slushy Code Freeze date: 2009-02-12 — (Feb. 12, 2009)
- Firm String / Code freeze date: 2009-02-17 — (Feb. 17, 2009)
- l10n-mozilla-1.9.1 freeze date: 2009-02-19 — (Feb. 19, 2009)
- Target Build Ship date: 2009-02-24 — (Feb. 24, 2009)
- Recent release of M1 for Windows Mobile
- Release of Fennec on Maemo is targeted for end of February
- Added blocking-1.0 and blocking-1.0b1 tags on BMO – watch for pluses!
- Bugzilla emergency upgrade (3.2.1 + 3.2.2 security updates)
- Completed part of the Socorro database migration with webdev
- 3.0.6 release related issues
- FF3.0.6 released
- Waiting for "go" on FF 3.1b3
- Prepping for Funnelcake release on Feb 17th.
- WinCE builds are working!
- Self-serve clobber support
- Chasing down slave disconnection problems
- Shipped Firefox 3.0.6
- Begin Major Update testing for Firefox 3.0.6 to 3.1 Beta 3 (trial run)
- Please come join the Firefox 3.1 branch testweek to help with 3.1b3 testing!
- Working on a community page for users to sign up to assist with financial institution testing. (Intranet page is up)
- 3 mozmill tests checked-in (smoketests: 3/10)
- 59 1.9.1 fixed branch bugs verified last week
- Keeping unvetted results for 3.1 at or near zero in Litmus
- Built out Mac OSX 10.6 machine for testing in the lab
Web Dev Testing, Metrics, Accessibility, Localization, Community, Crash Reports
- Tomcat gave a talk at FOSDEM on Sunday with a Mozilla QA Overview. Talked to many community members about top site testing.
- Chofmann and Timr are planning talks for CeBIT. Topics:
- Understanding Open Source & Mozilla. How You Can Leverage Firefox in Your Enterprise or Institution.
- Getting involved with the Mozilla Project
- Added Content to QMO including Guide to Firefox Test Days
- Planning a community meet-up next week (March 18th) in Mountain View. See QMO or meetup for details
- Great example of Developer and Accessibility collaboration regarding the new indeterminate DOM property for checkboxes. Think about Accessibility and talk to the A11y engineers: surkov, davidb, marcoz. They don't bite. Just ask Jeff Walden!
- Thunderbird 3 A11y: Marcoz Connected with a student from a university in Singapore who is volunteering to help with bug 449560. Pointed out some useful ARIA resources and gave a quick lesson on what the fix for this bug could be.
- Helped the L10n team with Localization QA & Testing survey results analysis.
- Web Dev Testing: Shipped Sumo 0.8.2. This took a TON of time and the team had a few login-related issues (HTTP vs. HTTPS), as well as a staging-server-not-pulling-from-trunk issue. Worked on AMO 5.0.2 along with the new all.html functionality.
- Starting Litmus Improvement and Redesign discussion
- Finished xpcshell Port to Fennec!! .
- Working on automation for templetized XUL trees in Mozmill. If anyone has insights, docs, links, or wants to help, please let us know.
No updates for this week.
- Please join our mailing list to follow Mozilla marketing or join in the fun!
- Join us our community marketing call on Wednesday, Feb. 11th at 10 a.m. PDT. Dial-in & details here.
- Mozilla concept phone in in the news
- Mozilla's involvement in the EC case against MS in the Financial Times, PC World, The Seattle PI and International Business Times
- Walt Mossberg applauds Foxmarks
- EduCamp, Feb. 6, 2009, Brussels: Completed!
- Fosdem, Feb. 7 - 8, 2009, Brussels: Completed!
- India trip underway. See Mozilla Blog for details.
- No updates (traveling back from FOSDEM)
- A few new pieces of analysis:
- Mozilla Developer Center:
- Added automatically generated links to IRC channels; articles automatically show links to appropriate channels based on the tags on the articles.
- Wrote a blog post covering how the IRC channels feature works, as an example of the kind of powerful stuff Deki lets us do.
- Evaluation of the "Lyons" release of Mindtouch Deki is underway, with feedback going to Mindtouch to ensure the final round of UI work they're doing is satisfactory for our needs.
- Overhauled the Firefox 3.1 for developers page to be easier to read and better organized.
- Started the new article Security changes in Firefox 3.1. Please help identify issues that should be mentioned there.
- Added the article Applying SVG effects to HTML content. This is still undergoing some revision, but should have useful information as it stands.
- Added the new article Controlling DNS prefetching. I believe this is complete; please feel free to tweak it if there are any problems with it.
- By the end of this week, all major documentation for Firefox 3.1 should be complete.
- Air Mozilla
- after a couple months of experimentation, it's time to start pushing forward on building a real application for Air Mozilla. Initial docs here: AirMozilla
- Brainstorming on intro clip that includes many of the voices and languages of the Mozilla community and offers a neat <video> demo opportunity as well.
- Streamed several brownbags luncheons events. Waiting on help from IT to be able to post recordings at Air Mozilla
- Lots of great stuff @ FOSDEM including talks from Mark Finkle, Chris Lord, and Paul Rouget. Lots of food and beer consumed.
- There are now over 260 submitted designs, more coming in every day. We're on track to launch a revamped Getpersonas.com in March.
- Weave release on wednesday, see roadmap here
- As part of the Concept Series, we've launched the first Design Challenge, open to student designers around the world, on the topic: "What would the browser look like if the Web was all there was?"
- Survey and blog post over the weekend to hear from extension developers on their pain points
- Compatibility update- 76.5% (by usage) of add-ons compatible with Fx3.1.
- When Firebug 1.4 gets released on AMO this month, compatibility will increase to 80.8%
- Mailing going out this week to top 500 add-on developers not on 3.1, if we can get 20% of these, we can hit 90-95% compatibility.
- 5.0.2 code freeze on Friday the 13th
- SUMO 0.8.2 was pushed live Thursday.
- Socorro partitioning patch deployed, thanks to Lars and IT for their work on this. Blog post coming today or tomorrow.
- AMO stats are still incomplete but catching up. read details
- Work on the Prior Art demo continues
- Pootle 1.3 is not ready for prime time. read details
- Mark presented the opening keynote at FOSDEM 2009, looking at how far we've come with free software and what the challenges are ahead when we look at complex areas like mobile. Slides up on slideshare.
- Mark convened EduCamp, a meeting of people using open source as a learning environment in higher education. There was good participation from both open source projects (Red Hat, GSOC, Mozilla) and universities (Oxford, URJC Madrid, UNU Maastricht). The plans of various players in this space feel like they are getting more concrete.
- David convened a planning meeting for www.mozilla.org and posted notes, and also blogged about the www.mozilla.org redesign project starting soon.
- David made various website updates to www.mozilla.org:
- Added Atmail Webmail Client and Facebook Open Platform as Featured Mozilla-Based Applications for February
- Posted Slovak version of Manifesto
- Removed Community Edition policy from site
- Frank posted about the new Mozilla Education weekly teleconference.
- Per Kathleen Wilson's recommendations, Frank approved CA requests from DCSSI and SECOM Trust (bugs 394419 and 368970).
Organizing work has begun for Google Summer of Code Projects. If you have interesting ideas or projects that interns could work on this summer add them to the Brainstorming Page
Contact gerv or chofmann if you have additional questions.