Today’s meeting leader is: johannh
- 1 General Topics / Roundtable
- 2 Project Updates
- 2.1 Add-ons / Web Extensions
- 2.2 Activity Stream
- 2.3 Browser Architecture
- 2.4 Fluent
- 2.5 Lint (read only)
- 2.6 Performance
- 2.7 Policy Engine
- 2.8 Privacy/Security
- 2.9 Search and Navigation
- 2.10 Application Services (Sync / Firefox Accounts / Push)
- 2.11 Test Pilot
- 2.12 Web Payments
- 3 This week I learned
General Topics / Roundtable
- [dmose] please install NodeJS using mach; it will be required by default on Thurs, Aug 17th
- [mconley] You can get at nsIDOMWindowUtils directly in privileged scopes now via window.windowUtils
- [mconley] The way that we communicate with the content processes is changing - we’re starting to shift away from frame scripts towards an “IPC Actor” model. This is likely to land soonish.
- [mconley] Reminder: Services.ppmm.sharedData is a great, light-weight way for the parent to share information with content processes (both existing processes, and future processes)
- [jaws] ntim is finishing up his internship and will have his internship presentation next week on Tuesday August 21st from 2:15-2:30 PM Mountain View Time.
- [jaws] Abdoulaye is finishing up his GSOC internship and will have a blog post up on the Hacks blog hopefully this week detailing his work on multi-select tabs.
- [jaws] New Capstone project will be starting soon, migrating our UI from DTD/properties to Fluent. Project will run from first week of September to mid-December. Jared and Gijs will be mentoring, with help from Zibi and mconley.
- [bgrins] For JS running in browser.xul, please use children/firstElementChild/lastElementChild instead of childNodes/firstChild/lastChild if you expect to receive elements back (firefox-dev post)
= Friends of the Firefox team
- [johann] Today is the last day for Outreachy interns and GSoC students. Thank you for all your contributions! 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
Fixed more than one bug
Abdoulaye O. LY
Jorg K (GMT+2)
New contributors (🌟 = first patch)
Siddhant got rid of the deprecated callback API to getShortcutOrURIAndPostData
🌟 Sahil Bhosale refactored some PanelMultiView code to use a simpler way of getting element bounds without flushing
Add-ons / Web Extensions
- Some issues with browser_style and checkboxes were fixed.
- WebExtension keyboard shortcut handlers and menu onclick handlers can now call other methods that require user input.
- The tabs.onHighlighted event now handles multi-select tabs
- Inadvertent restrictions on extension managed proxies have been removed.
- A few issues with the new storage backend were fixed, and it was enabled on Nightly!
Search Topsites [bug meta] are a way to emphasize searching from the location bar to the user.
- Fluent now manages directionality of documents
- Fluent has been updated to 0.6
- Fluent 0.7 is in the second RFC Phase
- Get ready for an increased rate of migration from September
Lint (read only)
Improved tab reordering performance by avoiding lots of style flushes when moving tabs with the keyboard!
Got rid of a place where we synchronously flush layout in the AwesomeBar dropdown
- We expect, however, that this mostly moves the cost of the flushes to the horizontal overflow flushes.
Continuing work on removing about:blank loads for new windows etc.
Tab warming has been enabled by default on macOS, and is scheduled to ride the trains in Firefox 63
- This already rode out to Linux and Windows in Firefox 61
- Policy uplifts to ESR 60.2 have finished and are now being verified by QA
Kanika Saini’s Outreachy internship last day is today
She worked on 19 bugs, from policy improvements, new policies and a brand now about:policies page which will land today in Nightly!
Big thanks to Kanika for her work on these past 3 months! 🎉🎉🎉
- Thank you to :Trisha Gupta for her great work on revamping the user experience on certificate error pages (including a brand new page just for system clock skew). You can try out the new error pages in Nightly and read more about her work in her post to firefox-dev.
- After doing a Shield study we’re landing Firefox Monitor as a system add-on in m-c. You can find the Firefox Monitor metabug here.
The Tracking Protection UI has been replaced with our new “Content Blocking” (almost) everywhere. (Metabug) Check it out:
This is surfacing a new blocking technique called FastBlock, which blocks slow loading scripts from the tracking protection list. Blog post upcoming!
Address Bar & Search
- Matt Brubeck fixed a regression where ‘http://x’ would incorrectly load a search bookmark with keyword ‘x’
- Thi Huynh replaced this.DOMWindowUtils with window.windowUtils in urlbarBindings.xml
- Fixed a regression where rtl based text could overlay itself in the urlbar
- Lina added a maintenance task to clean up duplicate URLs.
Annotations Feature Removal:
Removed nsIDownloadHistory (replaced by an option to PlacesUtils.history.update to add annotations).
PlacesUtils.setCharsetForURI has been replaced and a new function implemented which also avoids main thread sync io.
Removed more page annotation related functions from nsIAnnotationService
Removed nsIAnnotationObserver as it is no longer necessary
- Removed PlacesUtils.mobileFolderId (all PlacesUtils.*FolderIds will likely be removed eventually).
Application Services (Sync / Firefox Accounts / Push)
Advance experiment launched!
Check out the blog post
ICYMI: Lockbox desktop prototype show-and-tell was last week
The lockbox-dev list posting has links to the video, slides, and more
Bootstrap removal work is a Q3 goal (1422437)
- Send Intern Emily Hou is done with her internship. She did a fabulous job working on the Send 2.0 update.
Adding a card network dropdown
Working on nicer add/edit forms and improved error handling
DOM fixes thanks to Eden who has been re-hired!