All Hands/2016 Hawaii/Volunteer nominations
Since our first All Hands in Portland (previously called coincidental work week), we've aimed to have highly committed and impactful volunteer Mozillians join the event, to be integrated with employees. The Participation Team is accountable for the process of getting the "right" people to the All Hands, and has largely established a best practice for this. We will be making small refinements for the 2016 Hawaii All Hands.
(For your reference: This current process is largely based on lessons we've synthesized from the past gatherings.)
This page outlines the nomination and selection process that will be used for the Hawaii All Hands.
The goals of the nomination process are:
- Invite volunteer Mozillians who can make a high impact contribution (and who have future potential), have high commitment, and ideally are able to mobilize other volunteers
- Have volunteer and staff Mozillians working in an integrated way -- during and immediately before and after the All Hands
- Have teams thinking about volunteer Mozillians strategically
- A process that has legitimacy with volunteers and employees
|Step||Start date||End date|
|0) Organizations confirm Organization Designate (person responsible for nomination communication, process and decisions)||Sept 8||Sept 12|
|1) Team nominations -- staff nominate volunteer Mozillians (different process by team ... run by Organization Designate)||Sept 14||Sept 20|
|2) Applications -- very lightweight application sent to all nominess to ensure nominees are available and want to attend||Sept 20||Sept 27|
|3) Final prioritization -- by individual team Organization Designates based on lists of nominees who have confirmed availability||Sept 28||Sept 30|
|4) Final selection -- based on total number of spots available, formula for allocating spots per team, and prioritization of people by team||Oct 3||Oct 4|
|5) Invitations go out||Oct 5||-|
|6) Registration and flight booking → information about this will be on another page||Oct 5||Oct 14|
|7) Working with volunteers and teams on their plans for integration/communication → plan for this will be on another page||Oct 15||Dec 5|
- We are emphasizing greater gender balance (by having this as an emphasis, the London All Hands was the only one to exceed 25% non-male genders among volunteer Mozillian participants)
Major difference from London process
Because of a limited number of spots at this All Hands, there will be no "open nominations" from non-staff this time.
The following individuals are collecting volunteer nominations from employees for their respective parts of the organization. You will have heard from them, but please reach out directly if you want to nominate a volunteer.
|Organization||Name of Org Designate(s)|
|Firefox||Mike Hoye and Amy Tsay|
|Connected Devices||Michael Henretty|
|Emerging Technologies||Azita Rashed|
|Open Innovation||Patrick Finch|
|Office of the Chair||Jane Finette|
|Mozilla Leadership Network (Foundation)||Kaitlin Thaney|
|Advocacy (Foundation) + Policy||Sara Haghdoosti|
|Technology (Foundation)||Simon Wex|
|Mozilla Japan||Noriatsu Kudo|
Organization Designates will be accountable for:
- Creating/curating a volunteer nomination process for their part of Mozilla
- Communicating within their organization about this process
- Making final prioritization decisions
- Ensuring a good process across their organization to be in contact with/prepare volunteer Mozillians who have been invited
Number of Volunteer Mozillians per Organizational Area
Space is limited at this All Hands, and so we won't have clarity on the total number of volunteer Mozillians we can invite until September 30th.
Following that date, we will publish the "formula" on how we allocate spots per organization area, along with the number of invitees per area.
Criteria for volunteer Mozillian nominees
Please first get in touch with your Organization Designate if you have questions about how to nominate a volunteer Mozillian or how the selection process will proceed.