What is it? -- An all company meeting that includes multiple team meetings, happening in the same city, at the same time + several opportunities to get together as one big group as well as with other teams. Then, on the last day, we have a fun social event for all, Mozilla-style!
The information on this wiki primarily applies to Full time and contractor staff. If you are a volunteer contributor or intern, please inquire to your coordinator.
- 1 Dates, Location and Weather
- 2 Registration
- 3 Week at a Glance
- 4 Food & Drink
- 5 Safety & Security
- 6 Hotel
- 7 Travel
- 8 Ground Transportation
- 9 Accessibility
- 10 Immigration
- 11 Austin All Hands Expense Policy
- 12 Families/Guests in Austin
- 13 Extracurricular Activities
Dates, Location and Weather
Monday, December 11 - Friday, December 15, 2017 (travel days are Monday the 11th & Saturday the 16th*) in Austin, TX.
*For those countries where rest time is required on weekends (vs. work travel), Mozilla will cover a return on the next available work day, if you choose. This needs to pre-approved and pre-arranged.
This is an invite-only event. All full time and Upwork employees are expected to attend this all company event. Contractors, Vendors and seasonal employees are included on a case by case evaluation based upon team needs.
Advance registration is required. Attendees will need to wear their event badge at all times, including to evening events. We will have security at our events who will be ensuring everyone in our space should be there.
We have a process to identify new hires each Monday and will invite them to book travel. No action necessary from managers other than to let them know about the event. Please work closely with your recruiting manager as they are aware of all deadlines.
Volunteer contributor participation
The process for this is outlined on this page.
All nominations will be done by employees, with a coordinator from each of the Firefox, Emerging Technologies, Marketing, Open Innovation and Operations parts of the organization. There will be no open call for nominations from volunteer Mozillians.
Please note: The information on this wiki primarily applies to Full time and contractor staff. If you have questions about how specifics apply to you, please email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arrivals, Registration & Welcome Reception (6 pm - 9 pm)
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
Plenary, Team meetings, Electives
Team meetings, Closing Party
Food & Drink
Breakfast, lunch & snacks will be provided and paid for centrally for attendees. Breakfast is provided Tuesday - Saturday and lunch is provided Tuesday - Friday.
Allergies/preferences: We will ensure that all food/environmental allergies are taken into consideration and will always have gluten-free and vegan options. If you have severe allergies that we need to know about; you can indicate in registration.
Safety & Security
If you are traveling to the Austin All Hands with a device that has Mozilla data (laptop, personal cell phone/tablet with @mozilla gmail, etc) on it and your device has been retained for further inspection by border agents, or if your device has been inspected outside your immediate presence - and you believe your credentials have been compromised - you must notify the Enterprise Information Security team as soon as possible at email@example.com or by calling Mozilla End User Services at +1 650-963-8811. (This number will be staffed 24x7)
We will work with you to reset your credentials and help you get your device back to a known good state either by getting you a new one (if it’s been taken), or by resetting it back to a verifiable Mozilla-approved installation.
Hotels are reserved during registration. Mozilla will pay for your hotel room with a check in date of Monday, December 11 and a check-out of Saturday, December 16. Once hotels are assigned, we will share a link to self-book any pre/post stays at your hotel, should that be part of your plan. Please do not book your hotel through Egencia.
Payment on Check-in
Everyone will be required to present a form of payment on check-in for incidentals at $50 per day. This is a US hotel standard and we aren't able to waive it (we tried).
We recommend providing a credit card. You can provide a debit card, but they do put a hold of funds on your card and has been problematic for some international travelers in the past. If you are not able to provide a credit or debit card, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll work with the hotel on accommodating.
Links will be shared after hotels are assigned.
The Austin Egencia portal is open now and booking instructions have been emailed. Deadline to book travel is October 5.
To access, log into Egencia using your LDAP, click Book → Meetings → Austin All Hands. If you don’t see Austin All Hands, email email@example.com and I’ll add you. Please do not book outside the portal. If you do not have an Egencia account, follow this link to create a temporary profile in Egencia and book for Austin. Please fly into and out of Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS).
Important Details: Everyone should plan to arrive in Austin on Monday, December 11th and leave on Saturday, December 16th. Anyone who plans to arrive ahead of that or to stay longer, regardless of the reason, must follow the "arriving early/departing late guidelines." These guidelines also apply if you want to fly in or out of airports other than your home airport and Austin (anything custom). A few notes:
- If you are a vendor (paid by a company other than Mozilla or Upwork), contractor, or seasonal staff, your manager must confirm your participation before you will be able to book travel. You will receive a separate email shortly if you have already been approved.
- Volunteers will be handled separate from this process.
- We work closely with Recruiting to ensure new hires are invited after their start date. No need to let us know about these.
- If you would like to invite someone who is a partner, facilitator or some other category that isn't an employee or volunteer, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Change fees will be covered by Mozilla for business reasons only.
Arriving Early/Departing Late Guidelines
Our standard travel guidelines apply (pre-populated in Egencia) when booking with a few additional budget constraints. Anything booked outside of them will require approval. Most people will arrive on Monday, December 11 and leave on Saturday, December 16. Here are some exceptions:
- If you live in a country where work travel is prohibited on weekends, you may travel on Friday, December 8 and Monday, December 18, if you’d prefer (not required). For hotel, you will book and pay on your own, and expense the manager approved amount (which is coded to your cost center).
- If you live in a country where work travel is prohibited on Sunday (ex France), you may travel on Saturday, December 9 and Saturday, December 16, if you’d prefer (not required). You will get your Monday, December 11 and 18 off. For hotel, you will book and pay on your own, and expense the manager approved amount (which is coded to your cost center).
- If you plan to spend some extra personal time in Austin or nearby (choosing to arrive before Monday, December 11 or depart after Saturday, December 16), you'll need to create an itinerary in Egencia for standard dates/locations within the Austin Portal and compare to the custom dates/locations you'd like. Please share the difference via email to email@example.com or through the approval comment box when you submit the flight. You can sway up to +$100 over and Mozilla will cover it. Otherwise you'll need to come with an alternate itinerary that fits within the pricing (like a round trip in and out of AUS w/ longer dates, and you personally book & cover the rest). We do not have the ability for employees to reimburse Mozilla for any overage. This scenario also applies for routing through different airports to/from Austin than your home airport (ex. a layover in Chicago for a few days, or flying out of DFW instead of AUS). In all cases, flights in and out of Austin should be booked via Egencia.
- If you are attending the Monday Core Influencer's event (by invite).
- If you would like to arrive early to recover from jetlag, you will need manager approval for any additional costs associated with the extension. There is no unilateral "All Hands" approval based upon timezone to arrive early. For hotel, you will book and pay on your own, and expense the manager approved amount (which is coded to your cost center). This policy does not apply to volunteer contributors, any jetlag recovery costs must be self funded.
Booking Family Travel
Whether your family will accompany you on your flight or join us later; and you have two options: Direct or through Egencia.
If you choose to book family through Egencia, please first book your own flight and then call Egencia with your airline confirmation number (staff do have to go through Egencia). Otherwise, you can book family direct (either through the airline or through another third party) and call the ticketing airline(s) with both confirmation numbers and ask them to link your reservations, so they know you are traveling together. They should also be able to assign seats together. You will avoid the limited hours Egencia offers and avoid paying their ticketing fee.
If you prefer to book your family through Egencia, you can pay (including the Egencia booking fees) and coordinate with your own travel (recommend to book and then call/email Egencia with your itinerary number to match for family). Note that booking through Egencia does not put you on the same reservation, nor guarantee the reservations will be linked (you would still need to call the airline to link them).
- Call: +1 (877) 264-1622 or +1 (417) 521-0273; Monday - Friday 9 am - 6 pm EST. If you call outside these hours, you will get an after hours agent, who may not be as helpful.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The email is monitored Monday - Friday 9 am - 6 pm EST. If you email, you will eventually need to call with a credit card (for fares & fees for family) and personal details of travelers, but the email can get the flights set-up. The agents will need to following information in the initial email to search for flights: Departure City (hometown) & Arrival City (should be AUS), Travel dates & Number of people traveling together + legal names
If your family is arriving on different flights than you but would like to take advantage of the shuttles on Monday & Saturday, email their itinerary to email@example.com.
Please note: we are unable to accommodate volunteer contributor families/guests.
Mozilla provides emergency medical accident and illness cover for all global MoCo & MoFo employees/interns and their dependents. You can view more information on Mana. This coverage begins at the time the you leave home to start your business trip. It also has a provision for a 14 day extension for leisure travel outside of the business travel. If you have additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mozilla does not cover travel insurance for elancers, upworkers, contractors, vendors, or volunteers/community members.
Air Travel Fine Print
Change fees will be covered by Mozilla for business reasons only. If you need a change and have manager approval, email email@example.com prior to requesting the change with Egencia. Once you have approval, call Egencia to make the change at +1 (702) 939-2530 or +1-877-264-1622 (note this will not be possible without prior approval so be sure to get that by way of an email from your manager to Brianna Mark). If you are changing for personal reasons, the change in airfare, change fee and Egencia fee is your responsibility.
Mozilla will not reimburse for Business/First class upgrades or tickets. Mozilla Frequent Flyer perks do not apply for All Hands.
Any submitted expenses needs to have an itinerary attached to ensure it is employee expenses only and within policy.
All Mozillians and guests who have flights arriving anytime on Monday, December 11th in Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) and out on Saturday, December 16th, will be transferred to/from the hotels. If you arrive into another airport; or on a different date - ground transportation is on your own. If your family is arriving on different flights than you but would like to take advantage of the shuttles on Monday & Saturday, email their itinerary to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arrivals to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
The airport has two terminals, however most people will arrive in Barbara Jordan Terminal. Regional carriers fly into the new South Terminal.
Departures from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
Everyone departing on Saturday, December 16th, will receive transportation to AUS.
Alternate Transportation Options
Options can be found on the AUS website.
The airport is 7.5 miles or ~15 minutes for the hotels.
JW Marriott Austin Accessible guest rooms have a 32 inch wide opening, Hotel has on site accessible self-parking, Meeting spaces are all accessible, Pool entrances are all accessible, Restaurants and lounges are all accessible, Self-operating lifts or sloped entry are available for all pools, Fitness center entrance is accessible, Main entrance is accessible, Pathway to registration desk is accessible, Registration desk is accessible, Route to accessible guest rooms is accessible, Service animals allowed for persons with disabilities.
Hilton Austin The Following Features Are Available: Accessible Rooms, Accessible business center, Accessible concierge desk, Accessible exercise facility, Accessible guest rooms with mobility features with entry or passage doors that provide 32” of clear width, Accessible hotel restaurant, Accessible parking, Accessible parking spaces for cars in the self-parking facility, Accessible public entrance, Accessible registration desk, Accessible route from the accessible public entrance to the accessible guestrooms, Accessible route from the accessible public entrance to the registration area, Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible entrance to the meeting room/ballroom area, Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to at least one restaurant, Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the business center, Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the exercise facilities, Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the spa, Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the swimming pool, Accessible swimming pool, Closed captioning on televisions or closed captioning decoders, Public Areas/Facilities accessible for physically challenged, Service support animals welcome, Swimming pool hoist for pool access, TTY for guest use, Valet only parking and Van-accessible parking in the self-parking facility.
Any questions on immigration should be sent to email@example.com.
If you are from a country that requires a B-1/B-2 business visitor visa to enter the US, please plan for it early as government processing times constantly change.
Please visit the following website to learn more about the visa application process and timing for your country: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html#overview. Current estimated processing times at the US Embassies and Consulates abroad can be found at: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/wait-times.html/
Some travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without first applying for a B-1/B-2 visa, if they are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP or "ESTA"). You are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if you:
- Intend to enter the United States for 90 days or less for business, pleasure or transit
- Have a valid passport lawfully issued to you by a Visa Waiver Program country: http://www.esta.us/visa_waiver_countries.html
- Have authorization to travel via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/
- Arrive via a Visa Waiver Program signatory carrier (all commercial airlines meet this requirement)
- Have a return or onward ticket
- Travel may not terminate in contiguous territory or adjacent islands unless the traveler is a resident of one of those areas
Employee Travel FAQ
This FAQ addresses questions about how to handle security concerns and electronic devices at the border and how to engage with US Customs & Border Protection (CBP). While it specifically focuses on concerns related to travel to the United States, much of this guidance is applicable to travel elsewhere. Mana access required.
A pocket letter is recommended to keep on hand for those who are entering the United States. It should accompany you whether or not you are required to have a visa to enter. You may request a copy of that letter when you register. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require a specific letter for your visa application or if you have any questions regarding your citizenship, visa capabilities or travel related questions.
ESTA Point of Contact
In the ESTA application you need to give a "U.S. Point of Contact Information".
Please list Casey McGill as your US Point of Contact. Address: 331 East Evelyn Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94041 Phone: 408.505.3028
Austin All Hands Expense Policy
1. All "All Hands" Expenses must be submitted on 1 (and only 1) Expense report (e.g. Austin All Hands Expense Report)
2. It must contain only those expenses relative to the All Hands Event (5-10 days of pre-post activity only)
3. If your submitted expense report for All Hands is submitted outside these guidelines, it will be rejected and you will be asked to re-submit with only All Hands Expenses
4. The deadline to submit the Austin All Hands Expense Report is December 31, 2017.
5. Expenses related to team events, parking, room service, mini-bar charges, and food/drink costs above the vouched amounts, will not be approved.
The intention of our all hands are to centrally organize a structure that includes:
- Meals (two/day + snacks)
- Some number of social events
Due to the nature of the Austin All Hands, employees will be expensing specific meals. The amount that can be expensed will be communicated and expenses submitted can not exceed the approved amounts. Any social events that are not part of our central plan will generally be self-organized and funded by participants.
Cell phone reimbursement policy
Cell phone reimbursement must be approved by your manager prior to submitting the expense. Teams will decide for their staff what is appropriate to expense.
Internet reimbursement policy
Internet will be provided in all guestrooms and meeting space in all hotels. If you opt to upgrade/add service, those costs are not reimbursable, unless previously approved by your manager and are for business reasons.
If you have questions about any of this, please reach out to email@example.com
Families/Guests in Austin
Of course our focus, for the majority of the week, will be on Mozilla. Everyone is expected to be present and engaged each day, during work hours (as your schedule dictates). Please do what you can to make sure your loved ones understand the kind of commitment you’ve made. Family should not join you during your work sessions (other than the more tiny beings) and meals. Please note that what are able to do for families varies by each location.
Please note: we are unable to accommodate volunteer contributor families/guests.
Quick summary logistics
Air Travel Family travel can be booked/coordinated through Egencia by calling direct; or on your own. Employees do need to book via Egencia regardless of how families are booked.
Hotel They are welcome to stay with you, however, any additional room expenses will be yours to cover. All room rates are based upon single occupancy and costs to add guests vary by hotel. Breakfast is not inlcuded in any of the guest room rates. Hotels will be assigned based upon team and a part of registration. Once hotels are assigned, we will provide a link or contact add guests.
Breakfast Family members who are registered for the event and registered with the hotel are invited to join us for breakfast each morning. Breakfast will be provided on Tuesday, December 12th - Saturday, December 16th.
Lunch & Dinner Family will be on their own for lunch daily and dinner on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday.
Friday Night Event Family members who are registered for the event and registered with the hotel, are invited to join us for our Friday night event.
Family Friendly Activities
- Trail of Lights is the biggest event/activity for families and kids in Austin in the month of December, and it’s located in Zilker Park, which is about 1.5 miles from the core of downtown.
- Six Flags Fiesta Texas If you're staying the weekend, you can check out Six Flags in San Antonio. They have a holiday event on both weekends.
- Pinball Pinballz is an chain of arcades in Austin with an incredible selection of pinball and video games.
- Inner Space Cavern is located in Georgetown, just north of Austin.
Childcare/Nanny Services in Austin
- Toybrary Austin, 7817 Rockwood Lane, Suite 101, Austin, TX 78757, Phone: (512) 765-4174, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Description:Drop off child care, toy lending and baby gear rental for out of town visitors! Child care is just $10/hr., nights included. Group babysitting available. Or drop in with your child to play in our play space for just $5. We have tents, tunnels, costumes, a train table, a slide, push toys, pull toys, bikes, and trikes. With over 1200 toys to borrow, you'll find everything a 1-5 year old could desire. Come play!
- Austin's Best Sitters and Nannies, 5210 Maulding Pass, Austin, TX 78749, Phone: (512) 892-2139, Email: email@example.com, Description: Professionally managed childcare/nanny service with over 40 years experience. Thoroughly screened sitters and nannies for convention, hotel, wedding and company events.
- Mom's Best Friend, 1101 Capital of Texas Hwy. South, Bldg. H, Ste. 200, Austin, TX 78746, Phone: (512) 346-2229, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Description: Mom’s Best Friend is a household staffing, nanny, and senior care agency selecting highly qualified, trusted professionals to serve the needs of families since 1994. More than a nanny service,
Costs for these activities are self-funded and can not be expensed. Feel free to add activities and invite others.